Register here

Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur  (Read 13300 times)

Offline Abraham Gubler

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:49 pm »
I stumbled across this ultimate ATV gun-buggy while looking for pictures of the Excalibur PGM for work. It’s the Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur/Vulcan gun system that was demonstrated to the US Army’s logistics exposition PROLOG '85.

It would appear to be a large Supercat style ATV fitted with the M163 20mm Vulcan air defence system. Probably developed for the then US Army’s High Technology Motorised Infantry Division demonstration.

Hires pictures are available at www.defenseimagery.mil searching for the picture codes: DA-SC-85-13304 , DA-SC-85-13327 and DA-SC-85-13326
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline amsci99

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Standard Manufacturing Co. Excalibur
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:37:58 am »
Well, not something very useful in today's IED laden battlefield and the exposed cabin is contentious.

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:09:40 am »
Ohh yeah and the very low ground clearance is not a good idea for mine hits or under belly IEDs. But it is glorious mid 80s ‘Chuck Norris’ wartech. Eight wheel dune buggy with a Vulcan cannon… How could they have left this out of Rambo III?
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:01:51 pm »
Somebody's been playing smoking something for too long.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline Jschmus

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:40:16 am »
Looks like a GI Joe toy from the 80s.  Nice find!

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:38 am »
I think you'll find its a lot more sophisticated than you believe.  That vehicle was what was known as the something like the "trailing-arm advanced mobility demonstrator".   It was intended to demonstrate the use of trailing arm, torsion bar like suspension on a wheeled vehicle.  The intention was if a production vehicle was to be fielded, it would be armoured.  I remember reading about it in one of Hunnicutt's books IIRC.   Its mobility was intended to be better than a normal wheeled vehicle and nearly as good as a tracked one.  Apparently it nearly achieved it and yes, it was designed in the 1980s, for a very different sort of warfare, as against the present problems facing the US Army in places like Iraq and Afghanistan where their government has foolishly embroiled them in pointless wars.

Offline amsci99

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:52:11 am »
I think you'll find its a lot more sophisticated than you believe.  That vehicle was what was known as the something like the "trailing-arm advanced mobility demonstrator".   It was intended to demonstrate the use of trailing arm, torsion bar like suspension on a wheeled vehicle.

rickshaw,

Thanks for this interesting piece of information. Are there any links where I can learn more about this form of suspension and how it compares with the boomerang double axle rear drive employed on the EE-9 Cascavel and EE-11 Urutu?

Offline amsci99

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:28:20 am »
On the topic of suspension, just thought I restart this thread with this article on the SRATS or the ELSROV

http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/0608/news/news1006_elsrov.htm

Thought it was a matter of time before the Military took notice of the 4WD developments in the world of rock crawling. For the most extreme 4WD, wonder when the militarised version of this will come into being,

http://jalopnik.com/358115/chainlink-is-rock-crawling-transforming-super-buggy

Offline Graham1973

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 08:51:13 am »
Ohh yeah and the very low ground clearance is not a good idea for mine hits or under belly IEDs. But it is glorious mid 80s ‘Chuck Norris’ wartech. Eight wheel dune buggy with a Vulcan cannon… How could they have left this out of Rambo III?

Wow! This does take me back to the bad old days!

I'll agree with the comment, that does look like something from bad '80s action film.

Actually I'm surprised that something like that didn't make an appearence in a 90s/00s made for TV film either.

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:21 am »
Great find.

Put armor around the driver and gunner and this would make a great 'urban pacification vehicle' I would nickname The Street Sweeper. As well a few of these at FOB's in remote places like A-stan, able to fire thousands of rounds 1000+ meters, would be an awesome assault breaker. 
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:15:08 am »
It's rather a complex chassis and it wasn't adopted because it conferred nothing that a tracked vehicle didn't.   It's hull would have been vulnerable, being wide, flat and very low to the ground.  It also had a high ground pressure.  The Mowag LAV chassis while bigger would be better protected and better mobility.

Offline tround

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 10:08:59 am »

Offline amsci99

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »
Some pics I managed to gather from a Google search for the trailing arm drive system developed by Standard Manufacturing Co. as well as some other variants using that system. These pics seem to be from an 80s edition of the German magazine 'Military Technology'. For those interested in the patents secured by Standard Manufacturing Co, here's a thread from the Tank-Net Forum (http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19727).

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 08:38:19 pm »
Here is another image of a proposed application of the Standard Manufacturing Co. trailing arm drive system. This time as a lightweight MLRS with a single six round rocket pod.

Offline Pioneer

• Seek out and close with the enemy
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 11:03:40 pm »

Wow great and informative find thank you tround!!

Interesting that it carries more rounds than either tracked or towed systems!
Air transportable (underslung) by Chinook, and two able to be carried by the ubiquitous C-130, it seems a great pity the Excalibur wasn't put into operational service IMO.

P.S. One would think the derivative of the drawing of the 155mm SPH variant would have been a much welcomed peice of kit for the likes of the 82nd Airborne!!

Regards
Pioneer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:33:15 pm by Pioneer »
And remember…remember the glory is not the exhortation of war, but the exhortation of man.
Mans nobility, made transcendent in the fiery crucible of war.
Faithfulness and fortitude.
Gentleness and compassion.
I am honored to be your brother.”

— Lt Col Ralph Honner DSO M