Register here

Author Topic: Assault Breaker  (Read 13057 times)

Offline sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Assault Breaker
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:29:36 am »
http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Assault-Breaker.html

Good link.  It's an article by Carlo Kopp with a lot of nice pictures of things like the T-16, Pershing II airfield attack, Wasp mini-missile, etc.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline RP1

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
Re: Assault Breaker
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:14:08 pm »
The Wasp min-missile is interesting - the CONOPS is very similar to that envisioned for BRIMSTONE, allthough the latter employs more conventional triple launchers.  (I've got an article on perhaps the "ultimate" assult breaker - the "Rods From God" (they were *real*) somewhere.  I'll post it later.)

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline sferrin

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:28:49 pm »
The Wasp min-missile is interesting - the CONOPS is very similar to that envisioned for BRIMSTONE, allthough the latter employs more conventional triple launchers.  (I've got an article on perhaps the "ultimate" assult breaker - the "Rods From God" (they were *real*) somewhere.  I'll post it later.)

RP1

If you notice it shows a Pershing II RV dispensing "Rods from God".  I've also got a picture in an old MilTech issue of another one, much larger, doing the same.  They even mention a "dead-airbase-in-a-package" based on the Saturn V of all things.  :o

Offline RP1

• I see the truth in it.
    • RP1 dot net
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:13:01 pm »
Saturn V

I raise your Launch Vehicle and present an orbital strike weapon:

From Jane's International Defence Review, Jan 2006:

..."One conventional strike option against hardened targets was demonstrated under a "black" or classified programme in 1978-88.  Colliquially known as "rods from God" (a term attributed to science fiction writer Jerry Pournelle), it involved placing small space vehicles containing 15-20 long, dense, inert tungsten rods - 6m long and 0.3m in diameter - in elliptical orbits around the Earth.  (There is no treaty restricting the use or deployment of conventional or non-explosive orbital weapons.) The vehicles would achieve ultra-high apogees of almost 65,000km and would eject and de-orbit the rods on demand.  When something falls in a vacuum from 65,000km it is apt to be moving rather quickly when it hits the ground, and the concept involved impact speeds of 6,000m/s.  It was estimated that the sheer kinetic energy impact would be enough to destroy missile silos.  According to analyst Barry Watts of the Center for Strategic and Bugetary Assessments: "A total of perhaps USD70-80 million was spent... including test shots against the Kwajalein Atoll from Vandenberg AFB in California.  In the end, however, the programme met staunch opposition from Air Force fighter generals who were not interested in seeing SAC develop a non-nuclear global-strike capability.  As a result, the programme was terminated."...

Anyone here read Footfall?   ;)

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

http://rp-one.net/

Offline yasotay

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:19:04 pm »
Don't be surprised if "Rods from God" is not as dead as it would seem.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:43:45 pm »
Saturn V

I raise your Launch Vehicle and present an orbital strike weapon:

From Jane's International Defence Review, Jan 2006:

..."One conventional strike option against hardened targets was demonstrated under a "black" or classified programme in 1978-88.  Colliquially known as "rods from God" (a term attributed to science fiction writer Jerry Pournelle), it involved placing small space vehicles containing 15-20 long, dense, inert tungsten rods - 6m long and 0.3m in diameter - in elliptical orbits around the Earth.  (There is no treaty restricting the use or deployment of conventional or non-explosive orbital weapons.) The vehicles would achieve ultra-high apogees of almost 65,000km and would eject and de-orbit the rods on demand.  When something falls in a vacuum from 65,000km it is apt to be moving rather quickly when it hits the ground, and the concept involved impact speeds of 6,000m/s.  It was estimated that the sheer kinetic energy impact would be enough to destroy missile silos.  According to analyst Barry Watts of the Center for Strategic and Bugetary Assessments: "A total of perhaps USD70-80 million was spent... including test shots against the Kwajalein Atoll from Vandenberg AFB in California.  In the end, however, the programme met staunch opposition from Air Force fighter generals who were not interested in seeing SAC develop a non-nuclear global-strike capability.  As a result, the programme was terminated."...

Anyone here read Footfall?   ;)

RP1

Peter F Hamilton also uses it in his Night's Dawn trilogy (excellent sci-fi BTW if you're into that). 

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:52:35 am »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline blackstar

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »
There's a detailed discussion of Assault Breaker in the DARPA multi-volume history posted here awhile ago. Not many pictures, but lots of history.

Offline quellish

• Top Contributor
  • I am not actually here.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »
There's a detailed discussion of Assault Breaker in the DARPA multi-volume history posted here awhile ago. Not many pictures, but lots of history.

The three "DARPA Technical Accomplishments" volumes referenced here I believe:
http://www.darpa.mil/About/History/Historical_DARPA_Bibliography.aspx

Offline Bill S

• Top Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »
Three images from a Vought Assault Breaker sled test. Courtesy Vought Heritage Group.

bill

Offline sferrin

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:33 pm »
Interesting.  That's a Pershing II RV.  Didn't know they got past the, "hey, this might be a neat-o idea" with that.

Offline Void

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:36:20 pm »
That looks like the front end of the T22 to me... (which was Vought's Assault Breaker design)

These aren't about Assault Breaker specifically, but they do discuss it:
http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk2/1987/8718/8718.PDF
http://www.fas.org/ota/reports/8630.pdf

Online George Allegrezza

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:39:03 am »
May not be exactly a Pershing II RV, but certainly appears to be something aerodynamically similar.  The current Army Advanced Hypersonic Weapon looks like one, too.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:45 am »
That looks like the front end of the T22 to me... (which was Vought's Assault Breaker design)

These aren't about Assault Breaker specifically, but they do discuss it:
http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk2/1987/8718/8718.PDF
http://www.fas.org/ota/reports/8630.pdf

You're probably correct.  The T-22 had forward fins added to a Lance rocket (Vought).
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/assault-breaker.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:47:58 am by sferrin »

Offline pathology_doc

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:04 am »
a "dead-airbase-in-a-package" based on the Saturn V of all things.  :o

That would certainly do the job, although it would have to be one hell of an airbase to warrant spending that level of resources.

The problem with such things is the possibility that the other side will take such a high-arching shot as presumptive evidence of a nuclear strike. It's only safe to do if said other side either is not nuclear armed or is content to wait for the first mushroom to blossom before returning the favour with interest. Also: given that even a conventional explosion of sufficient severity can generate a convincing mushroom cloud, you'd better not be using depleted uranium in those rods or someone with twitchy fingers is going to take the hit (and the resultant kick from the geiger counters) as evidence of a ground burst and then it's hasta la vista m.f.