Register here

Author Topic: Various Mil projects  (Read 26756 times)

Offline hesham

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Various Mil projects
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:28:05 am »
Hi,

the Mil Mi-22 originally was a project for light utility
helicopter of 1965,has anyone more informations
about Myasishchev M-150 cargo-passenger aircraft ?.

Offline Just call me Ray

Re: Various Mil projects
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »
Hi,

the Mil Mi-22 originally was a project for light utility
helicopter of 1965,has anyone more informations

I can only guess, but it looks like a single turbine version of the Mi-2, only with a much larger turbine than the ones that power the Mi-2 (which is continuously criticized for being underpowered, maybe the large turbine would've solved that)
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.
- Skydrol from Airliners.net

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:11:19 am »
Exactly right. The Mi-22 was indeed to have been a single-engined Mi-2. But notice too that the Mi-22 finally got rid of the Mi-1 dynamics and had a new four-bladed rotor. A pit that we can't see the tail rotor in that image.

"At the same time [as design work was done on Mi-24], Mil was working on the Mi-22 lighter helicopter project on its own initiative. It was to be powered by a single 1,250 HPGTD-10 engine and was to have a take-off weight of 4.3 tons. Work on this project proceeded until the first Mi-24 was flown. Then the "Mi-22" designation was reassigned to an airborne command post based on the Mi-6 heavy helicopter ["Hook C"]."

Source: Michal Fiszer, The mighty Mi-24: the world's most widely used combat helicopter soldiers on,  Journal of Electronic Defense, May 2005

By the way, I believe that the HPGTD-10 still exists in a way as the core of the Saturn GPA-4 gas-pumping unit. http://www.airshow.ru/expo/380/prod_599.htm

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 09:59:46 am »
Exactly right. The Mi-22 was indeed to have been a single-engined Mi-2. But notice too that the Mi-22 finally got rid of the Mi-1 dynamics and had a new four-bladed rotor. A pit that we can't see the tail rotor in that image.

"At the same time [as design work was done on Mi-24], Mil was working on the Mi-22 lighter helicopter project on its own initiative. It was to be powered by a single 1,250 HPGTD-10 engine and was to have a take-off weight of 4.3 tons. Work on this project proceeded until the first Mi-24 was flown. Then the "Mi-22" designation was reassigned to an airborne command post based on the Mi-6 heavy helicopter ["Hook C"]."

Huh, that's interesting. IMHO, they would've been better off with something like the Mi-22, since a pure troop transport slotting below the Mi-8 (like our own Huey) was something they sorely lacked.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker.

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 01:13:08 pm »

Huh, that's interesting. IMHO, they would've been better off with something like the Mi-22, since a pure troop transport slotting below the Mi-8 (like our own Huey) was something they sorely lacked.

"The Mi-2 was the USSR's answer to the US Bell UH-1 Huey."
http://www.vectorsite.net/avmil4.html

If so, avery underpowered Soviet Huey analogue!

BTW, according to Michal  Fiszer, the Mi-22 was killed by changing requirements for greater speed and some armour protection for the cabin. In other words, the Soviets wanted the Mi-24 instead.

Offline frank

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 02:08:43 pm »

And the original Mi-24 design looked very similar to the Huey.

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 03:28:19 pm »
"The Mi-2 was the USSR's answer to the US Bell UH-1 Huey."
http://www.vectorsite.net/avmil4.html

Yeah, not really. I'd dare to say that the Mi-2 is more a LongRanger analogue, two engines or not.

Offline Apophenia

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 08:40:45 pm »
Yeah, not really. I'd dare to say that the Mi-2 is more a LongRanger analogue, two engines or not.

The Mi-2 was certainly less capable than the Huey. But I'm not sure that I'd agree that "Hoplite" was a LongRanger analogue. The Mi-2 appears a decade after the Bell 204 but almost ten years before the LongRanger.

The initial Bell 206L had almost half the power of a Mi-2. But it's more about the size.

Some numbers:

Aircraft   rotor dia.  disc area    empty    MTOW  Troops

Bell 204 Huey   14.63 m        168 m2   2414 kg  4765 kg  10
Mi-2 Hoplite    14.60 m      167 m2    2370 kg  3700 kg    8
Bell 206L     11.28 m      100 m2     1031 kg  2008 kg    5

So, the Mi-2 isn't really a great analogue of either US helicopter. To my eye, there is more similarities to the 204 than to the 206L

Offline Just call me Ray

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:00:43 am »
I know, I was just saying that in reality given how much power it has, it's probably practically closer to the LongRanger than the Huey. Neither the Mi-2 nor 206 have great density altitude performance.

Offline hesham

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:29:01 am »
Hi,

also in that Russian site,a many Mil helicopter projects;

Heavy lift      a project of heavy lift helicopter with rotor
                    diameter 60m,1950s.
M-3               two-seat helicopter (not related to Mi-3).
V-50             heavy assault transport helicopter powered by one
                     ASH-62 engine,led to Mi-6.
Plant 329      light helicopter powered by turbojet engine.
Mi-26            early project with four D-136 engines.
Mi-383          military Mi-38.

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/8/

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/9/

http://www.militaryparitet.com/nomen/russia/avia/data/ic_nomenrussiaavia/60/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:56:33 am by hesham »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:33:34 am »
Hesham, are you going to repost all contents of http://www.militaryparitet.com here?
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Austin

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 06:55:12 am »
Mi-26T2 vs Chinook

Offline Petrus

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:55 am »
Just as a footnote to the history of Mil desings, a project of a two-rotor (!) helicopter whose designation was M-3. It was to have a M-226GR engine (derived from the ASh-62 engine). Its all-up weight was to be 4100 kg.

A drawing (unfortunately very small) of the desing attached.

(Perhaps somebody knows more about it?)

Best regards,
Piotr

EDIT: In some Russian sources the design is also referred to as the GM-3 (and its engine as the AI-226). According to the sources the helicopted was a six-seater and it had rotors (perhaps including rotor heads) from the Mi-1.

Here you've got a link to a chapter on early Soviet helicopters  from the "History of Aircraft Construction in the USSR 1951-1965" (in Russian) where you may find brief info on the GM-3.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/shawrov/htmls/glava11.html

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:03:46 am by Petrus »

Offline Nik

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:39:08 am »
Had a '???' moment there: The 26T2-2 piccy, seen at a glance, appears to show an 'Osprey' tilt-rotor design...

Optical illusion, of course...
 ;)

Offline hesham

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »
Just as a footnote to the history of Mil desings, a project of a two-rotor (!) helicopter whose designation was M-3. It was to have a M-226GR engine (derived from the ASh-62 engine). Its all-up weight was to be 4100 kg.

A drawing (unfortunately very small) of the desing attached.

(Perhaps somebody knows more about it?)

Best regards,
Piotr

From my dears Ucon and Stingray;
http://stingraysrotorforum.activeboard.com/t51041603/mil-m-3-helicopter-project/