Register here

Author Topic: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter  (Read 94526 times)

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 11:15:20 am »
Hasegawa 1989 'US Air Force Stealth Fighter' I could not stop myself from buying this masterpiece for USD 0.99 at eBay
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:16:59 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 11:28:57 am »
Earlier, than their attempt to replicate F-117 in 1/144 scale, here goes Revell's Stealth Fighter in 1/72. Just note at the V-tail angle and this pretty air pressure sensors...but Hasegava's one at the top of the canopy much more sexy:)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:29:41 am by flateric »
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Golfus

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • Lo que diga Don Manué
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 11:48:03 pm »
A bit of nostalgy: Bill Gunston´s excellent "Stealth Warplanes"

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:53:48 pm »
Under the lamp is the biggest dark....

I realised that I have my own mutation of F-117! But not one. Two!!! When I was youger, I used to create and make my original paper models. Some of them were aircrafts and two of them were F-117 related. When the first was an attempt to make the real F-117 (however I didnt understand the angels), the second one is much progressive mutation with single jet at the center of the fuselage, that powered via shaft two cold-air ducted fans. Ducted fans are two things above wing that looks like jet engines.

And when the two batteries are in the bomb bay of the first model, then comes....    the surprise  :)

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 03:54:11 am »
Cutaways god Mike Badrocke's and Bill Sweetman's collective impressions of a 'stealth fighter'. It was 1986 on the backyard. Already then Sweetman was aknowledged that real aircraft use faceting LO technology.
(Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:58:19 am by flateric »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 04:05:17 am »
Three more modelling beasts in the F-117 mood - DML's 1/144, DML B-2/F-117 double kit pack in 1/200 and HobbyModelKits 1/72 creature.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:52:14 am by flateric »

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 06:36:37 am »
AMT 1989 F-117A in 1/72. Second place on wobbly goblin contest after Hasegawa.

Offline Matej

• Deputy Administrator
  • Multiuniversal creator
    • Hitechweb - bizare aviation
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:26:00 am »
Full stealthy ironless F-117 made from.... LEGO  :D

http://www.dementia.org/~adams/lego/f117/index.html

Bizarre aviation expert.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 09:30:22 am »
DML's 1990 1/144 F-117A. Note that boxart looks much weirder than kit molds itself.
My gathering of the full collection of 'wrong' F-117s is close to the end.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 01:21:05 pm »
This F-117A wood desk model commemorated F-117A final delivery date in 1990. Seems to have Lockheed Martin origins and marks a good sense of ADP stuff humor.

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 09:58:12 pm »
Does anybody have the full story on how John Andrews came up with the famous Testors F-19 design?  I recall reading that one of Andrews's inside sources described the F-117 as looking like "a Douglas Skyray with Packard grills on the intakes."  His final design looks like it borrows liberally from the SR-71, but it demonstrates that Andrews had some idea of aeronautical engineering and stealth design.  He even got a patent for his design (probably an effort to prevent copycats from cloning his F-19 design more than anything else.)

Offline LowObservable

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:55 pm »
If a person had been close to the scene at the time, one might have speculated reasonably that the design fused elements of the Blackbird - which clearly had RAS built into the wing edges - such as the planform and inward-canted fins, with AvWeek reports of a double-delta aircraft with two F404s. The flush inlets look a lot like standard NACA flush inlets and the verticals shield the exhaust.

Offline CFE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »
One strike against Andrews is his canards mounted on the upper surface of the F-19.  They'd have been useless at moderate angles of attack. 

The wing is very tiny, likely due to a perceived need to transport the F-19 inside a C-5.  We'd hear the C-5 story again in the years that followed.  Reports of a craft resembling the nose of an SR-71 being unloaded from a C-5 at Palmdale.  AvWeek stories about the "Blackstar" orbiter being ferried by C-5.  I don't know if there's any truth to these tales, but it's fascinating to follow.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 10:41:49 pm »
Interesting that front view profiles of Testors kit and actual aircraft are strikingly close (except, of course, inward canted tails and these small fins). Again, we see some 'angled' structure from the front. I bet some observer's notes who probably have seen it in hangar have leaked. OK, just my guess.

BTW, story of F-19 kit described quite well in glamorous Curtis Pebbles 'Dark Eagles'.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:51:07 pm by flateric »

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 07:28:27 am »
please, could anyone tell me what is "PR art"?

Thanks again

Antonio