Armstrong Whitworth F.11/37

memaerobilia

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.memaerobilia.com
Not sure if I should have just added this onto the AW 49 thread. Moderator can merge it if better, there. Here is an archival dwg of the Armstrong Whitworth F.11/37. My scan notes say: dwg date:18/8/37; scan# aw004; Orig dwg, port view; dwg SP97783.
aw004s.jpg

Is it a twin-engine pusher, or (even better for me) a single-engine asymmmetric plane? ??? ;D
If this is a complete mystery, both hypothesis remain and (as a what-ifer) I love this!

Dear Tophe, I had to disappoint you: it was surely a twin-engine aircraft. The F.11/37 specification required "Twin-engine two seat day & night fighter/ground support". The winning project of it was Boulton-Paul P.92.

Of course you can imagine a single-engine asymmetric derivative of this project, but it would be pure What-if.

From an (in the moment) unknown source:

Attachments

• aw.jpg
    aw.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 143
Jemiba,

this drawing comes from Air Britain's "The British Specifications File" book.

Thanks, I've completed my file description this way. I once found it on a now
defunct website, together with some other AW projects.

pometablava said:
this drawing comes from Air Britain's "The British Specifications File" book.
I have turned this nice drawing as single-engine to illustrate the asymmetric wrong hypothesis, thanks.
(what-ifers may see the result at the end of my asymmetric site http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Asymm_addition.htm )

For Source reference purposes, any of the Armstrong Whitworth dwgs or photos that I post here, are from the life-long collection of British aviation photographer/author, Chris Ashworth. I do not copy photos from magazines or books,(unless noted and credited). His negative collection here, is some 120,000 negatives, (each in its own glassine envelope, with corresponding typed information) mostly of British Commonwealth aviation, but a great MANY aircraft of other nations as well. For some aircraft types, he only had print collections, and for others just negatives. (The print collection is some 30,000)
I can only assume that these AW dwg images are either his photos(negs) of documents he researched in archives, or from microfilms, or trading with other photo/negative collections.
It is plainly evident from material and supplies in this collection that Ashworth did most of his own photo-processing of all sizes of negatives, developing and printing tens of thousands of photos, long before the Internet and digital imaging.

Hi
He was a great guy, I wrote to him a few times and he helped me everytime, never wanted anything back in return, I think he had almost everything if it existed.
cheers
Jerry

brewerjerry said:
Hi
He was a great guy, I wrote to him a few times and he helped me everytime, never wanted anything back in return, I think he had almost everything if it existed.
cheers
Jerry
There sure are a lot of experimentals, wild mods, and one-of-a-kinds, scattered in there. When you mention "Writing him" it jolts me into the amazement of ease that the Internet has afforded us. Instead of waiting weeks to exhcange letters, and another week to get prints made and sent, today it is often same day digital exchange of a rare image. As an aviation researcher of over 40 years, the instant acces is just mind-boggling, by comparison. :)