Ukrainian Conflict NEWS ONLY Topic poll

How to handle the Ukrainian Conflict topic?

• Lock topic, ban discussions

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Keep topic open, moderate

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Keep topic open, let everyone post anything

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Something else (reply to topic with suggestion)

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's rather like some ancient fable, that once you open a particular box, even if you think you've closed it, by just mentioning it's name, it opens again.
Just talking about how divisive it was, opens it again.

Ironically the old Russian saying is "say (the) name, summon (the) named".

And this topic, like certain others always seems to do this.

Honestly, I'd have an instant three day ban rule for anyone connecting the news to domestic politics (within their own or neighbouring countries).

I'm not sure if I'd extend such a rule to linking to articles/videos which focus on domestic politics of non-combatant countries. However, linking to articles which are focussed on international politics related to alliance systems, or articles on direct developments of the military situation should be alright in the thread.

I do agree in principle Scott, but once you diverge from strictly news it becomes a complicated judgement call on the moderators as to what is acceptable deviation and what isn't on a post by post basis, which as you can see lends itself to accusations of bias in the moderators.

Moderators do have our own views on what is happening. The majority of moderators (and members) are from Western countries.

Yes, there is an issue generally of perceptions of bias in moderation.

To be absolutely candid - I've been left with the impression that some forum members here would be quite happy to see me jailed (or worse) for my politics (things as simple as my general tendencies towards pacifism). This is the result of several years of interactions.

I keep coming back to this forum because it is a brilliant place for people like me who are really fascinated by the engineering questions and science of it all. But the moderation has allowed comments through which have left me with this lingering sense of threat from some forum members.

I say this recognising the difficult jobs of the moderators, that many of the forum members are really generous people, and that I have a bit of a liking for even some of the more... err... hostile forum members.

Anyway - DM me if you'd like clarifications.

This is all very meta, having trouble brewing in a topic about how to handle a troublesome topic.
Implement a strict policy of decimation, so 1 post in 10 is deleted.

If that doesnt work, then its 2 in 10.

It’s a troll trolling frenzy over there.
Jesus it’s unpleasant to read through - so much bad faith posting clearly for bad peoples jollies and convictions.
My sympathies to the moderators that have to wade through it.
Plus an absolute disgrace when you take a moment and think about the real world context.

Honestly, having been a moderator myself - I'd completely understand if you guys decide to lock it (and just tell people to pool their research elsewhere). You guys do this as volunteers after-all.

Yep, close it down.

If we can't give both sides fair hearing what's the point?

Yep, close it down.

"Both" sides? The sane side, and the batcrap insane side? I'm sorry, but when one side is dreaming up nutso ideas about Ukraine having laboratories whipping up diseases to genetically target Russian people... that side has kinda lost the right to be taken seriously. They've had their fair hearing, and they've been found wanting.

Yep, close it down.

"Both" sides? The sane side, and the batcrap insane side? I'm sorry, but when one side is dreaming up nutso ideas about Ukraine having laboratories whipping up diseases to genetically target Russian people... that side has kinda lost the right to be taken seriously. They've had their fair hearing, and they've been found wanting.

Ukraine was not a perfect place by any means. However Russia lost all moral arguments when it invaded.

Its like if your kids were arguing, and then one of them smashed the other in the face with a hammer. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the previous argument might have been are invalidated.

Last edited:
Yep, close it down.

Ukraine was not a perfect place by any means. However Russia lost all moral arguments when it invaded - whatever the rights and wrongs were became irrelevant.

Its like if your kids were arguing, and then one of them smashed the other in the face with a hammer. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the previous argument might have been are invalidated.
Thank you both for illustrating my point so effectively.

If one of your kids smashed the other in the face with a hammer after a long series of provocations and refusals to stop those provocations, even after discussing and agreeing to stop with the parents, then the attack is reprehensible but the arguments leading to it are anything but invalidated.

See, you've both just demonstrated your bias and inability to discuss the topics raised by the conflict unemotionally.

Please, shut it down and let's go back to discussing anything else.

Yep, close it down.

Ukraine was not a perfect place by any means. However Russia lost all moral arguments when it invaded - whatever the rights and wrongs were became irrelevant.

Thank you both for illustrating my point so effectively.

If one of your kids smashed the other in the face with a hammer after a long series of provocations and refusals to stop those provocations, even after discussing and agreeing to stop with the parents, then the attack is reprehensible but the arguments leading to it are anything but invalidated.

See, you've both just demonstrated your bias and inability to discuss the topics raised by the conflict unemotionally.

Please, shut it down and let's go back to discussing anything else.
Ok, so call me a sucker, but I'll bite (and I may just as well get banned for another week, month, year, or decade, but so be it), please remind me again of the facts on the ground whether Ukraine unilaterally attacked Russia militarily or whether it was actually the other way round? And please spare me the "but they provoked it by daring to have their own independent opinion" crap, will you?

Status
Not open for further replies.