The P-270 Moskit - ASM-MMS / Kh-41 - air launched version

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to start maybe another tread on this fascinating missile but (since the search-function gave no result) in several Chinese forums there are some "intersting" discusions regarding the operational status of this type ... as far as I - but I would like to change my opinion - remember all Su-33 showing the Moskit attached were seen during Air Shows and never on an operational airbase or during rutine flying and also no photo was taken of a missile in the air under a Su-33 - again as far as I learnt - , since never a real ASM-MMS / Kh-41 Moskit was loaded nor any Su-33 wired to support or even launch them.
confused.gif

But again I would like to learn.

Deino

missile was never called Kh-41 - it's P-100 or 3M-80
missile was never intended for air carriage
Simonov directed to study ability to carry it on T-10K - another cuckoo paper study that reached its apogee with missile mock-up hanging under mockup of launch pylon under Su-33 at MAKS
launching 4+ tonnes missile that was just not able to withstand severe Gs on separation did look weird even on paper
end of story

more
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=4997&page=2
http://forums.airbase.ru/2010/06/t70190--p-700-granit-vopros-po-shifram-i-indeksam.9903.html

Thanks a lot ... but following such posts at the SDF I simply wanted to be sure !
I have never seen a picture of it. If they have done it, I doubt they would show a picture of it...wanting to keep it close to the vest. We do know this:

1) SU-33s have been seen with Moskits attached to them at airbases.
2) SU-33s have been photoed launching a Moskit in the air.
3) The weapons loadout weight of the SU-33 is listed as 6500 kg
4) The Moskit itself weighs in at around 4000 kg.

So, based on the specs, it is capable. Based on the photos on the ground and in the air, it is possible. Have they ever actually done it off their carrier? We have no photos of it...but I believe they probably have tested it, and do carry them.

I'll do more research on this.I have never seen a picture of it.
Deino