TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

I think Ukraine could be a potential customer in the future. The Turkish and Ukrainian MICs and militaries have cooperated a lot lately, the Kaan would be a NATO fighter despite current difficulties, Ukraine could lend a hand with the development of the indigenous engine of the Kaan and the Ukrainian Su-27s would need replacement rather soon. The only problem would be finances, but personally I'm rather optimistic about Ukraine's recovery post-war.

Ukraine could not afford it on their own, and any financial aid package from the U.S. would likely have the stipulation that the bulk of the money must be spent on U.S. weapons, similar to the policy we have with Israel regarding military aid.

The serial production of Gökdoğan & Bozdoğan indigenous AA missiles is going to begin real soon after acceptance tests:

View: https://twitter.com/halukgorgun/status/1745466291186524511?t=E_NdfXHqW5XmhUuuZjzPqw&s=19

(Another quote)
Within the Göktuğ missile family, the Akdoğan missile is also being developed by SAGE.

Development activities for Gökhan, the ramjet-powered AAM, continue.

(I'm posting it here since its directly related to Kaan)

Won't be surprised if the maiden flight is delayed any further.
The project schedule was too hasty and the GTU-0 vehicle wasn't even made for flying in the first place

I mean if the bird flies in like 2025 still it's pretty fast compared to the initial plan right?

Last edited:
So missed those middle of the month predictions, and coming up on a month since the 27th Dec that was originally announced. We haven't heard anything official since the start of the month when the chairman said 'soon' I dont think?

nice, haven't seen some new pics in a while.
in a strange way, Kaan makes me think of a 5th gen MiG-31.
could you tell me anything about the radar if any?
Nowhere near that big, though.

Well, the only things it can't produce in house right now are (obviously) the engines, the ejection seat, radar (for now, even then the MURAD GaN based F-16 radar recently started airborne tests).

But I don't think there will be a lot of countries lining up. Only a select number of countries can afford or do require a 5th gen fighter and even then most of them are currently getting F-35s. The rest are either going for KF-21 Block 2 (if it materializes) or land based J-XY/35 (if China allows exports).

Most of the world doesn't need/won't need 5th gen fighters. The number of countries needing a heavy fighter are even lower.
Indonesia comes to mind. They have a huge swath of territory to cover (wider than the continental US!) and a lot of it is water.

I don't think the Boramae has the range they need.

Temel Kotil expects KAAN to fly before March ends.

Kotil:

"It would not be right for me to give an exact date for the domestic fighter jet to take off. Testing continues. No problem. We expect KAAN to take off before March"

Haluk Görgün:

"The work is progressing smoothly. Claims that there is an engine problem are not true. Everything is fine. Engine tests and ground tests are carried out. Avionic systems are working smoothly and are being tested. There are certain procedures. There are things to do after flying. We are focused on healthy production, it would be wrong to give the exact date."

They also revised the delivery number of KAAN in 2028. They aim to deliver 10 Block-10 KAAN in 2028.
At least they're not skipping anything. I also fully expect the real P1 prototype to be rolled-out not too late after the flight.

TAI starts the construction of a 13.600 sq m warehouse that will serve the MMU project

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 22.55.17.png

"On November 2, 2023, our executives and colleagues gathered for the ceremony. The B1031 Warehouse Building, whose construction process will be overseen by the Facilities Engineering, Planning and Investments Directorate under the Procurement and Industrialization Vice Presidency, will have a total indoor area of 3,970 sq m and a gross area of 13,600 sq m, including field concrete, landscaping areas, and roads. Upon completion, it will play a pivotal role in Türkiye's infrastructure for the development and production facilities of fifth-generation fighters."

https://www.tusas.com/medya-merkezi/Dergi?s=1&d=2024

More importantly, the intake is different on the patch. Upper and lower intake lips are (almost) parallel unlike the intake on the prototype. Looks much better.

More importantly, the intake is different on the patch. Upper and lower intake lips are (almost) parallel unlike the intake on the prototype. Looks much better.
The patch design is a mix of both the earlier design renders and the actual prototype. Apart from minor structural differences the prototype is essentially the same.

Looks a little soviet to me .....
I'm sorry but this is one of those classical F-22-esque VLO fighter designs. What about it seems Soviet to you? (I'm genuinely curious by the way). If it is the seperated engines, need I remind you that F-14. A-5 and F-111 all had it as well, it is not an invention of the Russians. It should also reduce sensor visibility at least in theory.

I'm sorry but this is one of those classical F-22-esque VLO fighter designs. What about it seems Soviet to you? (I'm genuinely curious by the way). If it is the seperated engines, need I remind you that F-14. A-5 and F-111 all had it as well, it is not an invention of the Russians. It should also reduce sensor visibility at least in theory.
The patch not the plane.

I think he is referring to the star and crescent on the badge looking like star + hammer/sickle.