TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

This is the preliminary design that TEI and TR Motor were working on, at least the afterburner mixer part looks like that of a proper 5th gen fighter engine to my admittedly amateur eyes. @F119Doctor what do you think?

View attachment 722946

Below are F110 and F119 as references

F110
GE-F110129.jpg

F119
5-nozzles-pw119-f22-engine-l.jpg
The only thing that appears to be stealth in the augmentor area is the chevron divergent segment tips. The flame holders appear to be conventional radial design with no significant low observable features.

Hard to tell, but it appears to be a relatively low bypass design.

Might just use GTU-0 as a flying testbed for sensors, firing externally. Software seems to be one of the more problematic parts of the F-35 programme. The earlier this stuff gets tested in the air, the better.

There's still a lack of the testbed aircraft, which should have been introduced earlier on in the programme to test avionics and firecontrol systems. I don't know how they managed to get away with it with the F-16 Ozgur programme to nationalise Block 30.

...I don't know how they managed to get away with it with the F-16 Ozgur programme to nationalise Block 30.
Unfortunately, they didn't. MURAD's development hit a serious obstacle, and they urgently need a testbed aircraft. It turns out you can develop the software up to only a certain point by flying the radar on an F-16 and making necessary adjustments on the ground (who could have guessed right!). Physical development of a radar ≠ software performance of the radar. Certain high-ranking individuals at SSB couldn't understand that, and their forced decisions cost us some precious years.

Kinda surprised that more HMDs aren't full color...

Weight and HMI considerations. The pilot has to wear this thing on his head and process the information displayed during 9g turns. No use if it snaps his neck off or he is unable to discern colour-coded data because of his colour vision fading under g. MFDs on the instrument panel are a different beast, he's not going to be making break turns with his eyes inside the cockpit.

Weight and HMI considerations. The pilot has to wear this thing on his head and process the information displayed during 9g turns. No use if it snaps his neck off or he is unable to discern colour-coded data because of his colour vision fading under g. MFDs on the instrument panel are a different beast, he's not going to be making break turns with his eyes inside the cockpit.
They also have to be able to eject with it on.

Okay, that makes sense, but I'm not sure how much heavier a color LCD display of equal resolution is than a monochrome one.

Well people didnt need colour HMDs until the arrival of more net-centric sensors and data flow to the pilot. You could decide fast enough with a monochrome green image but as sensors gather more information for pilot to see (missiles, ground targets, thermal imagery, wingmans etc) colour HMDs would be more comfortable as a single colour would make the pilot prone to misunderstandings if he doesnt double check from LAD.

Okay, that makes sense, but I'm not sure how much heavier a color LCD display of equal resolution is than a monochrome one.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go with an OLED display, they've been working on graphene OLED displays for mil applications since 2015
1711791457183.png

I think non-IR vision present on demo suggests us that IRIS-300 is not only an IR MWS+FSS but also contains DayTV? Maybe I am just too fixated on non-IR vision View attachment 723960
IMO even if there is day TV, since these displays are translucent by nature, the contrast wouldn't be very good when "seeing through" the cockpit. I think the color HMD is more for improved symbology, like the Striker II.

1711813752930.png

Addendum:
Excellent demo of Forces News of Striker II in action. You can see the tracking setup is very similar to TULGAR with an IR camera behind the reporter, IR markers dotted about the cranium, and a color camera in front.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6tewk85-Y

Last edited:
IMO even if there is day TV, since these displays are translucent by nature, the contrast wouldn't be very good when "seeing through" the cockpit. I think the color HMD is more for improved symbology, like the Striker II.

View attachment 724084

Addendum:
Excellent demo of Forces News of Striker II in action. You can see the tracking setup is very similar to TULGAR with an IR camera behind the reporter, IR markers dotted about the cranium, and a color camera in front.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6tewk85-Y
could also be for better contrast on thermal vision of IRIS-300. Black-White provides better contrast compared to green's tones

Looking down at a wing walker or similar. Remember that the F16 pilot's feet are at head level for an adult male.
To me, at first look, it seems like as if he's sitting backwards or smth. this is what I meant by that, but it's of topic anyway.

pilot looks like he is leaning backwards and to the leaning to the right
while looking over his shoulder, possibly to some one on the side or slightly behind him

To me, at first look, it seems like as if he's sitting backwards or smth. this is what I meant by that, but it's of topic anyway.
combined response:
pilot looks like he is leaning backwards and to the leaning to the right
while looking over his shoulder, possibly to some one on the side or slightly behind him
Which is consistent with looking at someone walking next to the wingtip.

"TUSAŞ has shared images from its wind tunnel facility, which is the largest in Turkey and the second-largest in Europe. The facility is designed to conduct wind tunnel tests for aircraft using domestic resources. Operated by TUSAŞ, it will test various aircraft developed by the company as well as products from the defense industry and other sectors, ensuring that design and test data remain within Turkey. The tunnel features three different test sections and advanced technology equipment for measurement and evaluation. It also includes a movable ground belt system for take-off and landing tests, exclusive to this facility in Turkey. Additionally, the facility will support the production, integration, and instrumentation of tested models, making significant contributions to the product development process."

View: https://x.com/tdefenceagency/status/1780586569524523441
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfttRuW7jik

Last edited: