Sukhoi Su-57 / T-50 / PAK FA - flight testing and development Part I [2010-2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
(с) RIA Novosti
thanks to Enisey again!

so it seems like another picture of the inlet was published. now people are arguing (again) that it is unstealthy.

judging by the picture, 15-40% would be visible when directly viewed at the front. reckon it shouldn't be problematic once the "radar masking options" are put into consideration. ;)

Some more nice new photos from militaryphotos.net...

Attachments

• inet_T-50_1.jpg
    inet_T-50_1.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 499
  • inet_T-50_8.jpg
    inet_T-50_8.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 417
  • inet_T-50_7.jpg
    inet_T-50_7.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 466
  • inet_T-50_6.jpg
    inet_T-50_6.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 453
  • inet_T-50_4.jpg
    inet_T-50_4.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 442
  • inet_T-50_3.jpg
    inet_T-50_3.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 464
  • inet_T-50_2.jpg
    inet_T-50_2.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 457
finally, Sergey Kuznetcov aka Pilot photos from June, 17 show-up
http://pilot.strizhi.info/2010/06/22/8752

note impressive angle of LEX part travel at some agressive maneuvering photos

Attachments

• IMG_0886_pf.jpg
    IMG_0886_pf.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 128
You can see they're down at a large angle in the top pic of the right column in the first post above right after take-off. I still stand by my assertion that they're main purpose is for controlling airflow into the inlets at higher alpha's. That's also due to the fact that leading edge devices don't develop that much added lift on their own, though they do decrease energy loss of the airflow over the top. They only add a lot of lift in conjunction with flaps. As such, their greater contribution due to their position and size is going to be in turning the airflow into the inlet at higher alpha's.

Some have said they take place of the "canards" on the Flanker designs, but I don't really buy into that. Partly because I have yet to see any pics where they are deflected up at any large angles and I just don't see them generating those loads, except maybe as "trimmers", in the Newtonian sense, but I can't help thinking flow separation over them at higher speeds would be more hindrance than help since, unlike a canard, they don't have the trailing edge "slot" effect to keep the airflow energized around it; It's the leading edge of a very long low aspect ratio wing center section/fuselage. In fact, I have only seen them slightly up on the ground and in the pattern and once again, I think that is to facilitate the airflow into the inlets.

I have to say, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the video and the pics and was somewhat shocked to see how much of the manuevering envelope they have opened up so rapidly.

Sundog said:
I have to say, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the video and the pics and was somewhat shocked to see how much of the manuevering envelope they have opened up so rapidly.
Word! I was also shocked to see such rapid expansion of the flight envelop and the flight was a good solid show as well.

saintkatanalegacy said:
judging by the picture, 15-40% would be visible when directly viewed at the front. reckon it shouldn't be problematic once the "radar masking options" are put into consideration. ;)

Once more: in 2009 Sukhoi filed a patent describing various means of reducing jet engine RCS, at the same time it filed a patent for new 'integral airframe airplane', having the same assegnee names under both claims, including Pogosyan and Davidenko

^

I thought there was no patent... ???

although I was aware of that "document"(well, title and authors only) mentioned in the other fora which is leads to the "radar masking options" i posted ;)

flateric said:
finally, Sergey Kuznetcov aka Pilot photos from June, 17 show-up
http://pilot.strizhi.info/2010/06/22/8752

note impressive angle of LEX part travel at some agressive maneuvering photos

If you look at the sequence of pics in the link, the tailplane is only used for the initial takeoff rotation....all other pics after that show combinations of intake flap and rudder toe out in all the turning/pitching maneuvers, occasionally you see that coupled with plus incidence of the tailplane (AC travel balancing and higher CL). Makes me think that this show wasn't even a warm up of what the PAK FA is capable of. Will be interesting to see its capabilities develop over time.

Flateric....do you have links to the Patents you mentioned ?

just patent claims filed so far, no patents issued yet
moreover, currently I doubt that we will see illustrations for these patents after they will be issued, but who knows...I'll be monitoring this stuff

whatever it is, it would either be a blocker or ram coating... which reminds me of the clever elastic blocker posted in youtube.

anyway, any confirmation of a 2000TR module count as final?

Any news about the RuAF G-suit beeing developed?
By the looks of it, it would come in handy in one of these birds..

Thanks

Want to have ... but in English please !

http://take-off.ru/main/45/481

Attachments

• t-50cover_web.jpg
    t-50cover_web.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,367
Any further information on the future two seat Sukhoi/HAL FGFA? Has anyone seen a design/graphic of the proposed aircraft? The present cockpit canopy slides backwards, it'll be interesting to see if this changes with two seats.

saintkatanalegacy said:
the illustrations look oddly familiar
not in this case. these are Aleksey Mikheev ones

RSF said:
Any further information on the future two seat Sukhoi/HAL FGFA? Has anyone seen a design/graphic of the proposed aircraft?
no, taking into account that it's just recently came to final iteration...

^well there were paralay drawings(speculative though) of the 2 seater if that would help.

Deino said:
Want to have ... but in English please !
http://take-off.ru/main/45/481

English translation is in the making, but probably won't be in time for Farnborough.
Andrey is considering publishing in co-op with one of UK aerospace publishers.
Russian version retail pricetag is about USD 17.00

The AESA apprears to be angled upwards. Is there any reaon for this?

Cheers, Woody

reflect adversary radar waves upward

All stealth fighters have their radar tilted upward to reduce RCS. This is one reason why stealth aircraft must have a fixed positioning for the radar instead of having it moving from left to right, even though it would tremendously boost up the field of coverage for the radar.

mostly old info:
-> 50-100 units are needed
-> another unit/prototype by the end of the year
-> 2011-2012 airframe testing
-> 2013 -> 10 units will be for weapon testing

-> "assumptions":
2,600 kph speed
5,500 km range
30 mm cannon
10 internal hardpoints

http://lenta.ru/news/2010/07/12/popovkin/

no...

10 frames will be acquired by 2013 for weapon testing and it's a single 30mm cannon

saintkatanalegacy said:
no...

10 frames will be acquired by 2013 for weapon testing and it's a single 30mm cannon

There was an error in my post, by "False information?" I was refering to the two cannons, to which I have an answer to now.

I was wondering if there was any news about the T-50 at the Farnborough 2010 airshow,for example more details about its future production configuration

Aviation Week said the T-50 is to appear at next months, August, Air Show in Moscow. Is that MAKS? Now, I don't know if it will do any flying, but they did report it will be there. Along with the new Su-35's.

next MAKS is on August, 2011

T-50 said:
I was wondering if there was any news about the T-50 at the Farnborough 2010 airshow,for example more details about its future production configuration

Not at all. At least I didnt notice anything.

Pogosyan did know what to tell and what not to tell. Test pilot Bogdan was ordered to avoid any questions on PAK FA.

I know that some of you guys are modelbuilders, and Ken (aka Flankerman) just finished his second PAK-FA, now with camo:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=214284

And nice artwork, unknown artist posted at Paralay:

And back to real thing, is it flying? The last news was that it was ready for full cycle of testflights:

http://sukhoi.org/eng/news/company/?id=3472

Attachments

• 0476lw.jpg
    0476lw.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 75
flanker said:
And back to real thing, is it flying? The last news was that it was ready for full cycle of testflights

no single flight was made till Putin visit in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom