Some Future Titles of Interest for SPF Members

For Godzilla fans, a treat will be available this October 3rd. For the first time, the novels that the first two Godzilla films were based on (Godzilla, and Godzilla Raids Again) will be released in English. These two stories were available in Japan for years, but someone finally translated them.

The Japanese novel that served as the basis for the film Atragon (1963) has also been translated into English. Yeah, and I wrote the only review for the book on Amazon.

INDEX

Aerial Ramming
German Rammers
Bachem Manned Rocket
Blohm und Voss BV 40
Blohm und Voss / Stöckel Rammschussjäger
Daimler Benz Schnellbomberträger
DFS Menschengesteuerte Bombe
DFS / Lippisch Bombensegler
DFS Eber
DVL Jagdsegler
Fieseler Fi 103 Reichenberg
Focke Wulf Sprengstoffträger
Focke Wulf Rammjäger
Gotha P.54
Gotha P.55
Gotha P.56 / 57
Lippisch Rammer
Messerschmitt Me 328
Messerschmitt P.1103 / P.1104
Zeppelin Rammer

IJA suicide airplanes

Tachikawa Ki.9 Spruce
Mitsubishi Ki.21 Sally
Nakajima Ki.27 Nate
Tachikawa Ki.36/Ki-55 Ida
Nakajima Ki.43 Oscar
Nakajima Ki.44 Tojo
Kawasaki Ki.45 Nick
Mitsubishi Ki.46 Dinah
Kawasaki Ki.48 Lily
Nakajima Ki.49 Helen
Mitsubishi Ki.51 Sonia
Tachikawa Ki.54 Hickory
Mitsubishi Ki.57 Topsy
Kawasaki Ki.61/Ki.100 Tony
Mitsubishi Ki.67/Ki.167 Peggy
Mansyu Ki.79 2 Koren
Nakajima Ki.84 Frank
Mizuyama Ta-Go
Kokusai Ki.86 Cypress
Showa L2D

IJN suicide airplanes

Aichi D1A2 Susie
Aichi D3A Val
Aichi E13A Jake
Aichi M6A1 Seiran
Kawanishi E7K2 Alf
Kugisho D5Y1 Miojo
Kyushu K11W Shiragiku
Mitsubishi A5M4 Claude
Mitsubishi A6M Zero
Mitsubishi F1M2 Pete
Nakajima B5N Kate
Nakajima C6N Saiun
Nakajima J1N1 Irving
Yokosuka K5Y1 Willow
Yokosuka P1Y1 Frances

Kokoku Heiki Go.1

Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden
Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden KAI
Mitsubishi Raiden
Nakajima B6N Tenzan
Yokosuka D4Y Suisei
Aichi B7A Ryusei

Kokoku Heiki Go.2

Kugisho MXY7 Ohka
Kawanishi Baika
Mizuno Shinryu
Nakajima Maru-Ten
Kugisho Tenga
Yokosuka R2Y2 Keiun
Kakukyoku Rammer

Kokoku Heiki Go.3

Nakajima Ki.115-Ko Tsurugi
Nakajima Ki.115-Otsu Tsurugi
Nakajima Ki.115-Hei Tsurugi
Showa Toka
Nakajima Ki.230
this is another great book from you!

Thick book, but for a thick price:

Dreamland, The Secret History of Area 51, by Peter W. Merlin, Schiffer Publishing, available November 2023.

9780764367090_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg
Soon-ish™

Getting rather excited for the Dreamland book, Dew. It will be interesting to see what the author has crammed into the book, as my previous Area 15 book by Bill Yenne has been well read.

Hopefully price comes down a bit.

The author Peter Merlin wrote a smaller book about Area 51 in 2011

1695043351882.jpeg

that can still be bought new. Or second hand via AbeBooks or Ebay or .......
At this very moment for less than 10$ incl. shipping if you live in the US:
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/9780738576206/
but that may be gone tomorrow.
It is basically a 127 page photo book (2 photos per page). Text is only captions but they are quite long.
Peter Merlin wrote a text in 2005 that goes well with this book, and which can be found on the dreamlandresort website https://www.dreamlandresort.com/area51/dreamland_50years.html
and in the attached PDF that moreover includes some additional photos. No aliens or UFO nonsens.

Could be an alternative for members that don't need to know all the details, or have a limited budget.

Attachments

• Area 51 Dreamland Fifty Years of Secret Flight Testing in Nevada - Merlin 2005.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Dagger said:
Thick book, but for a thick price.

I have to say the price is more than fair, all things considered. Back in 2005 (nearly two decades ago!), Schiffer released Chris Pocock's "50 years of the U-2" (437 pages and 500 photos) for $70.00 USD. "Dreamland: The Secret History of Area 51" is 560 pages with more than 700 illustrations and it's just five bucks more in 2023. That seems little short of miraculous from an economic standpoint. All credit to Schiffer for keeping the price relatively affordable. I know, I know, $75 is still a good chunk of change but they could easily have charged twice that had they wanted to.

I think anyone who buys it will likely feel they got their money's worth once they have an opportunity to peruse the content.

Dagger said:
Thick book, but for a thick price.

I have to say the price is more than fair, all things considered.

Yes, price is fair considering its size, which is why at that time I already wrote in post #500:

The price of the Dreamland book is in accordance with its size: 640 pages Letter/A4 size. The book has 720 images.

75 USD or 70 Euro is then 0.11 euro per A4 page, which is not expensive for an aviation book.
It's the large number of pages that results in a price that may be out of reach for some forum members.

I will definitely buy this book.

Yes, price is fair considering its size, which is why at that time I already wrote in post #500:

I will definitely buy this book.

I had the opportunity to thumb through an advance copy of Dreamland: The Secret History of Area 51. It looks terrific, everything I could reasonably hope for in Area 51 book. The histories of programs we are familiar with (U-2, A-12, F-117, etc.) have been expanded upon and, in some instances, viewed from unfamiliar perspectives. There is a lot of material that will be new to most readers. Sections dealing with AQUILINE and HAVE RASH are the most detailed to date. Same with TACIT BLUE. There are origin stories for the Red Hats and the Janet flights and lots of details on how the Groom Lake base evolved over the years.

Obviously, the "elephant in the room" had to be addressed. There was no way to escape writing about how Area 51 got saddled with the flying saucer mythology. Sections dealing with the environmental lawsuits of the 1990s and the ultimate fate of the Sheahans' Groom Mine property are presented in an even-handed fashion devoid of editorializing.

I would also venture to say that this is the most factually accurate Area 51 history yet written.

The book is big! Not oversize, mind you, but is is thick. It's richly illustrated and includes several appendices and no fewer than 47 pages of source notes.

Really looking forward to the Dreamland book now. How many chapters does he mention the flying saucer mythology? If it is only one chapter then I am okay with that, I could just go and skip past the chapter and go back onto the aviation side of things.

Really looking forward to the Dreamland book now. How many chapters does he mention the flying saucer mythology? If it is only one chapter then I am okay with that, I could just go and skip past the chapter and go back onto the aviation side of things.

There are roughly five pages in Chapter 8 devoted to how Area 51 got painted with the UFO brush, starting with the Project REDLIGHT rumors in 1980 through the Lazar bollocks in 1989 and how the latter turned the sleepy hamlet of Rachel into a Mecca for saucer nuts.

I absolutely recommend reading this section as it completely deconstructs the Area 51 saucer trope and contains many interesting details about how this phenomenon posed unanticipated challenges to operations at the secret base. There is also a section on how the ensuing publicity ultimately resulted in the withdrawal of more public land (White Sides and Freedom Ridge) above and beyond the controversial 1984 withdrawal of the Groom Mountains.

I find a lot of the material in Chapter 8 interesting, but frankly, it was worth it for me just to see REDLIGHT put to rest.

81GmWo+ij9L._SL1500_.jpg

The unique history of aerial firefighting as seen through the eyes of a pilot, former Navy SEAL, and current owner of one of the most successful aerial firefighting companies in the world.

Blending historical context and first-person narrative, Mudslingers tells the dramatic and colorful story of aerial firefighting in America, as seen through the eyes of a decorated former Navy SEAL, US Naval Academy graduate, firefighting pilot, and businessman who founded Montana-based Bridger Aerospace, one of the most successful aerial firefighting teams in the world. Part narrative nonfiction, part memoir, Mudslingers is a riveting account of one person’s journey from the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq to the front lines of a different but no less important battle on the home front—the war against the escalating threat of wildfire.

From the early days of the B-17 to the modern fleets of the twenty-first century, Tim Sheehy will take you on a ride through the history of aerial firefighting—the most hazardous and demanding aviation mission in the world. Mudslingers is a rollicking read, an enlightening journey, and a call to action for anyone who believes wildfires are not only one of the greatest threats facing modern civilization but a threat that has long been underestimated, misunderstood, and poorly addressed, despite repeated examples of bravery and innovation by those who choose to do battle with the flames.

Indeed, save for a few historic military engagements in the twentieth century, there is not a sustained aviation mission anywhere that comes close to encompassing the danger, precision, and unforgiving nature of aerial firefighting.

In telling this story, Sheehy takes readers into the cockpit and into the lives of his fellow pilots—past and present—as they struggle with the seemingly never-ending threat of wildfires. One hundred percent of author proceeds from this book are donated to the Wildland Firefighter Foundation and the United Aerial Firefighters Association.

Re. the Dreamland book, he has a 5 page section covering modified OH-6's, EH-60's and the Neptune Spear aircraft.

Hi all,

I think it's time to make a large book about Vought company,may it consists of two volumes,each one most include more than 600 pages as minimum,as I guess it will be from the biggest selling during 2024.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I think it's time to make a large book about Vought company,may it consists of two volumes,each
one most include more than 600 pages as minimum,as I guess it will be from the biggest selling
during 2024.
Not unless it is already researched and written and ready to publish...

Hi all,

I think it's time to make a large book about Vought company,may it consists of two volumes,each
one most include more than 600 pages as minimum,as I guess it will be from the biggest selling
during 2024.
Well then, get to it. Time is fleeting. ;)

Hi all,

during 2024.
Around 1990, Putnam in the U.K. had listed a "Vought Aircraft Since 1917" book as a future release, but it never appeared.

Heinkel He 115 Developmental & Operational History 1937-1952
Chandos Publications
Expected December 2023

Heinkel He 115 Chandos Publications.jpg

Attachments

• Heinkel He 115 TOC.jpg
    Heinkel He 115 TOC.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18
I suggest this book;

Mysteries Aircraft of The World,1910-2010

The author can speak about mysteries aircraft (not fake or fiction),but the airplanes which we only heard about them,and try to create conceptional for what were their
images,such as Mitsubishi Tozan

I suggest this book;

Mysteries Aircraft of The World,1910-2010

The author can speak about mysteries aircraft (not fake or fiction),but the airplanes which we only heard about them,and try to create conceptional for what were their
images,such as Mitsubishi Tozan
Hesh, is there an author for that book? It sounds interesting

Last edited:
That's right,I just imagine what would be a book like this,if anyone will
write it.

This is going to be a must buy for me. I love getting my hands on any book that covers the history of large and small airlines. I just received my copy of the book on TWA that was mentioned earlier in this thread and it's quite detailed and informative.

71641PcQ4CL._SL1360_.jpg

F-35 Lightning, The Air Warfare Revolution Continues
Key Publishing
Bookazine
January 2024
F-35 Lightning, The Air Warfare Revolution Continues.jpg

John Cunningham, Second World War Night Fighter Ace and Test Pilot
Philip Birtles
Fonthill Media
Available since a few days at publisher and a few webshops
John Cunningham, Second World War Night Fighter Ace and Test Pilot.jpg