Romanian Lesser Known Airplanes and Designers

Also before 1917,

Mr. Carol Faludi and his biplane ?.

Also before 1917,

Mr. Carol Faludi and his biplane ?.

Are we still talking about Romanians here? There was a 1910 Hungarian 'biplane' by Károly Faludi.

I say 'biplane' because Faludi's design had a very odd wing arrangement. Kind of a sesquiplane triplane - stubby wing panels top and bottom with a longer middle span which was interrupted in the centre to provide vertical clearance for a pusher propeller.

-- https://thefirstairraces.net/stuff/breguet/images/856.jpg

I have read that Romania was one of only two pre-WWII customers for Fabrique Nationale (Belgium)'s 13.2mm aircraft-armament version of the Browning heavy MG for which the US ground version was known as the M2 or "ma deuce".

FN Herstal's selling point for that gun version was their development of HE-I and HE-I-T ammo for it. The 12.7mm version manufactured by Colt had only ball and AP / AP-T ammo. FN Herstal's sales pitch was that their HE-I/HE-I-T ammo was significantly more lethal against the large percentage of aircraft structures of the time that were unarmored.

What aircraft type...I assume already mentioned in this thread...was Romania's purchase intended to be used with?

Are we still talking about Romanians here? There was a 1910 Hungarian 'biplane' by Károly Faludi.

I say 'biplane' because Faludi's design had a very odd wing arrangement. Kind of a sesquiplane triplane - stubby wing panels top and bottom with a longer middle span which was interrupted in the centre to provide vertical clearance for a pusher propeller.

-- https://thefirstairraces.net/stuff/breguet/images/856.jpg

Yes my dear Apophenia,

as I remember it was mentioned in a Romanian book ?1.

... What aircraft type...I assume already mentioned in this thread...was Romania's purchase intended to be used with?

Amongst the ARR aircraft armed with 13.2 mm FN machine guns were IAR 80B and IAR 81A fighters and Savoia-Marchetti SM.79B twin-engined bombers.

Hi,

also who heard about Marius Gheorghiu airplane ?.

Hi,

another strange design,called Gyroscope-Airplane ?.

Hi,

also Ernest Grunbaum monoplane,before 1917 ?.

Hi,

Stefan Ionescu flying wing aircraft after 1917 ?.

In reply to your request regarding Stefan Ionescu, I found this information at http://thefirstairraces.net/stuff/breguet/pre1914index.html
Powered by a 25 hp Anzani, tests of this machine were conducted between July 22 and August 28, 1911, at Cotroceni, Romania. Nicolae Saru (or Nicolaeu Ionescu according to some sources) was a bank clerk who as Ionescu, in his free time and out of his own pocket, realized this machine. Unfortunately Saru was the only person available to fly the aeroplane, but had no flying experience. Therefore, after a few minor mishaps which could be repaired, he finally wrecked the machine on August 28, 1911. Lacking the money to (re)build a new monoplane he left aviation. I also attach the poor quality photo of the Saru-Ionescu Monoplane Ionescu Monoplane pic 1.jpg

This aircraft was described on the book:
Gudju I., Iacobescu G., Ionescu O.. Romanian Aeronautical Constructions 1905-1974. 1973. 392 p. P. 89.

But there was no written anything about the engine model.

Attachments

• saru_3v.jpg
    saru_3v.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 47
  • saru_1.jpg
    saru_1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 43
  • saru_2.jpg
    saru_2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 32
Another entry to this cornucopia of Romanian aviation genius, also found on http://thefirstairraces.net/stuff/breguet/pre1914index.html was Ioan Teodorescu, also known by his Francophile name of Jean Théodoresco. In 1911 he built a big high wing pusher monoplane, which flew successfully during September - November 1911 at Issy-les-Moulineux. Development was halted at that time, because Teodorescu ran out of funds. Again from the same source here's a picture of the Teodorescu aircraft. Teodorescu 1911 pic 1.jpg

Rumanian fighters

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Post-2

Attachments

• 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 59
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 86
  • RUM 001.jpg
    RUM 001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 81
  • RUM 002.jpg
    RUM 002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 67
  • RUM 004.jpg
    RUM 004.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 70
  • RUM 049.jpg
    RUM 049.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 83
Hi,

Stefan Ionescu flying wing aircraft after 1917 ?.

Please note,it was from after 1917,and it was a flying wing,to be honest,there
are three designers called Ionescu;

- Victore P. Ionescu
- Adrian Ionescu
- Stefan Ionescu

I don't know which one had this concept ?.

There is two Tailless Planes of 1937 and 1938,but the designers almost are not known ?.

Hi,

Mr. Mihail Iordanescu Flying Tricycle airplane before 1917 ?.

Hi,

there is a biplane before 1917,designed by Nicolae Lavric ?.

Last edited:
Hi,

Mr. G. B. Magnani designed a monoplane before 1917,does anyone know it ?.

Here is some information from Romanian Aeronautical Constructions by Antoniu & Cicos.
The Magnani Monoplane of 1909 was not completed due to lack of funds.
The Iordache Military Aircraft of 1914 was not built as the designer didn't have the necessary finance. He applied to the War Office for help but they declined to give him any.
For the Lavric VTOL aircraft of 1915 see attachment.
The Iordanescu Flying Tricycle of 1919 was a muscle powered aircraft - test results are unknown.
The Stefan Ionescu Flying Wing of 1935 used a system of vectored thrust for control. The authors knew nothing of whether the aircraft was built or tested.

Attachments

• R - Magnani Monoplane 1909.jpg
    R - Magnani Monoplane 1909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • R - Lavric VTOL aircraft 1915.jpg
    R - Lavric VTOL aircraft 1915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • R - Iordanescu Flying Tricycle 1919.jpg
    R - Iordanescu Flying Tricycle 1919.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 45
  • R - Stefan Ionescu Flying Wing 1935.jpg
    R - Stefan Ionescu Flying Wing 1935.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
Many thanks my dear Woodville,

and what about Mr. Manu Manciu and his aircraft,also before 1917.

Many thanks my dear Woodville,

and what about Mr. Manu Manciu and his aircraft,also before 1917.
Here is the entry for the Manciu aircraft from Romanian Aeronautical Constructions.

Attachments

• R - Manciu Aircraft 1911.jpg
    R - Manciu Aircraft 1911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Many thanks to you my dear Woodville,

and there was also a double biplane,designed by Mr. Emil Mardarescu.

Many thanks to you my dear Woodville,

and there was also a double biplane,designed by Mr. Emil Mardarescu.

A small Info,

Emil Mărdărescu, inventor of rotary drilling (1880-1935),

He graduated from the flight school of Bucharest and invented a plane propeller with a variable tilt angle, with which he equipped an aircraft prototype that he piloted in 1911. After World War I, he turned to the oil industry, owning wells and oilfields. He is the inventor of rotary drilling, which he patented in the country and in France< in 1920. He is to be considers as a precursor of Ion St. Basgan’s.

Hi,

another Double Biplane was designed by Mr. Constantin Marinescu before 1917.

Hi,

also before 1917,there was a monoplane,designed by Mr. Gheorghe Negrescu.

Hi,

also before 1917,there was an aircraft,designed by Toma Paraschivescu.

also before 1917,there was an aircraft,designed by Toma Paraschivescu.

Was this aircraft "designed" or overseen by Toma Paraschivescu? Generalul Paraschivescu would have been a fairly busy boy at that point.

Col Paraschivescu had commanded the Regimentului 6 Artilerie prior to WWI. By 1914, generalul Paraschivescu was in command of the Diviziei 3 Infanterie. By 1916, gen Paraschivescu was a member of the Romanian General Staff and chief of the Armament and Ammunition Division. Paraschivescu was then sent to Petrograd to oversee shipments of Romanian equipment to the Russians.

Or was there another Toma Paraschivescu circa 1917 with more time on his hands?

That's as in a Romanian's book.

Also Ion Paulat Hydro-Aero Biplane before 1917.

I have also one lesser known project, but by a welknown designer, SET.
This is all the information I found about this project:
SPAD-SET
SPAD S.61 fighter deriv.
1 x 365 AS Jaguar IIIA radial
intended for same fighter contest as SET XV (ult. won by PZL P.11F)
based on in-service AAR Bleriot-SPAD S.61/2

Are there more details, differences etc., pictures (quality is not important) every little detail?

I have also one lesser known project, but by a welknown designer, SET.
This is all the information I found about this project:
SPAD-SET
SPAD S.61 fighter deriv.
1 x 365 AS Jaguar IIIA radial
intended for same fighter contest as SET XV (ult. won by PZL P.11F)
based on in-service AAR Bleriot-SPAD S.61/2

Are there more details, differences etc., pictures (quality is not important) every little detail?

All I have.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 20
Given the information I wonder if it may have looked something like this I cobbled together using a SPAD S.61 profile together with a Jaguar IIIA engine?
SPAD-SET S.61 derivative.jpg

Back
Top Bottom