Mowj Class Light Frigate

Eagle2009

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The Mowj class Corvettes are Iran's first successful attempt as building medium-large surface combatants. It is clearly heavily based on the British Vosper Mark V Iran imported in the 70's, but with modifications made because of Iran's inability to import technology from abroad. These modifications include:

1. Fajr-27 Naval Gun (Iranian copy of 1st generation Otobreda 76mm cannon)
2. Diesel Engines- Instead of the original Olympus Gas Turbines, resulting in slower top speed
3. Noor AshM (Iranian variant of C-802 missile, also found on at least 2 of Iran's Vosper Mk 5s)
4. Fath-40 AA Cannon (Copy of Bofor 40mm), manned not automated
5. Helipad added capable of supporting a Bell 212
6. New SAM- Though disputed by some, the 'boxes' between the engine funnel and Fath-40 cannon look nearly identical to SM-1 Launchers (See photos below).
7. Unknown Antenna- Just above the bridge there is a small Octogonal antenna, likely a radar but for what no one is certain. Most agree its likely a Fire Control Radar.

Attachments

• Babr.JPG
    Babr.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 416
  • 881130-jamaran-2-[1].jpg
    881130-jamaran-2-[1].jpg
    249 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Re: Jamaran Class Corvettes

The reasons for the doubts regarding SM-1 are mostly due to the fact that if it is SM-1 then the Iranians are even less intelligent than previously thought.

1) Only 4 launchers, historically vessels fitted with SM-1 box launchers have had eight or ten, 4 will provide extremely limited utility
2) There appears to be no dedicated director for the missiles, the director mounted forward is clearly for the 76mm, the missiles could theoretically use this but the capability would be extremely limited, there is of course the air search radar as well
3) The location, when engaging aircraft one would want the 40mm mount manned, but whilst firing from those missile boxes that position is going to be extremely uncomfortable

They may have just taken the Babr fit (that also lacked a dedicated director) with half the number of launchers and put them in a dumb location. Frankly if they had to use that location for missiles I would have used it for additional ASuW capability rather than a grossly obsolete AAW fit that was of limited utility when created in the 70s. I still would not be shocked if those boxes carry their rocket torpedo.

sealordlawrence said:
The reasons for the doubts regarding SM-1 are mostly due to the fact that if it is SM-1 then the Iranians are even less intelligent than previously thought.

I’m sure they know a lot more about SM-1 than you do. Like that SM-1s on Iranian and Taiwanese ships is a primary anti ship missile configuration. What you do when you desperately want an ASuW weapon before later systems are available. Also SM-1 provides quite a capable to horizon anti-ship missile. Especially against FAC type vessels when rapid response and engagement is needed.

sealordlawrence said:
1) Only 4 launchers, historically vessels fitted with SM-1 box launchers have had eight or ten, 4 will provide extremely limited utility

Four is better than zero.

sealordlawrence said:
2) There appears to be no dedicated director for the missiles, the director mounted forward is clearly for the 76mm, the missiles could theoretically use this but the capability would be extremely limited, there is of course the air search radar as well

No air search radar with that kind of antenna can provide target illumination for a SARH missile like SM-1. But that dish antenna above the bridge can. I don’t know why you consider it extremely limited? It is exactly the same radar configuration of every other SARH missile.

sealordlawrence said:
3) The location, when engaging aircraft one would want the 40mm mount manned, but whilst firing from those missile boxes that position is going to be extremely uncomfortable

Better than being the crew of one of their many suicide attack vessels.

Abraham Gubler said:
I’m sure they know a lot more about SM-1 than you do

Back to trolling again I see.

Like that SM-1s on Iranian and Taiwanese ships is a primary anti ship missile configuration. What you do when you desperately want an ASuW weapon before later systems are available. Also SM-1 provides quite a capable to horizon anti-ship missile. Especially against FAC type vessels when rapid response and engagement is needed.

As I said in my post, why not then install far more appropriate missiles like the C802's already carried, that way they could mount a relatively potent ASuW armament (8?). These vessels already have more capable ASuW missiles than the SM-1 so why not just carry more of them.

Four is better than zero.

Not if it offers little capability and takes up space and weight that could be used for something more useful, like additional AShM's for example, or even a second director at least allowing two simultaneous engagements. In fact the presence of only one director is especially curious as the upgraded Alvand class are reported as having 2.

No air search radar with that kind of antenna can provide target illumination for a SARH missile like SM-1. But that dish antenna above the bridge can. I don’t know why you consider it extremely limited? It is exactly the same radar configuration of every other SARH missile.

I never said the air search radar could, I was merely pointing out that it was there. As you well know the capability of any director is not simply derived from its presence but from its power output, mode of operation etc etc. The dish on top of the bridge looks like a close range director intended primarily for use with the Oto 76mm mounted forward. Thus its ability to operate as a missile director will be limited compared to SPG-53 or STIR (modified SPG-60) that are used with the SM-1 normally.

What I believe they have done is take the WM28 system from the Combattante class (which they trialled the SM-1 on) and used it for the Jamaran, if that is the case then this is a very limited system. WM28 can only track tree targets simultaneously (only one of them an air target) and designed originally to be used with AShM's and medium calibre guns on FAC size craft. However, with the presence of the air search radar one can only assume that they have liberated the directors transmitter from having to provide search functionality though with only one TIR it can only engage a single target at any one time.

As an interesting side note, the 76mm and 40mm appear to be as carried by the Combattante class to suggesting that the Gorz was a prototype for the Jamaran combat systems.

Better than being the crew of one of their many suicide attack vessels.

When I said extremely uncomfortable I was understating, the 40mm gun crew are going to be extremely close to a very hot flaming exhaust and a lot of rather unpleasant fumes. The lack of a trainable launcher and only a slanting launch capability will further impede the systems capability. That said it is probably still preferable to charging an explosive laden speed boat in the direction of an enemy combatant.

The Iranians appear to have been seduced by the idea of having a 'multi-role' corvette, the end result being a not especially impressive collection of systems from the early 70s that offer little overall capability.

Some good pictures of the Jamaran can be found here: http://www.payvand.com/news/10/feb/1208.html

I have an extensive collection of images of the Jamaran that I will try to post here soon..

Finally something you and I agree on! I never said the SM-1 was the most logical or even smartest SAM armament I merely said thats what they are and from the images I posted it seems pretty clear thats what they are. Now its interesting to note that early models Iran had shown of the Mowj class displayed a 3-cell SAM right infront of the bridge (where the old SeaCat used to be) that many believed would be the Shahab Thageb (Iranian variant of the FM-80). Range and size wise I thought a HQ-7/FM-80 would be a better missile since its compact enough and could be placed in the same locations as the older Alvands SAMs which means the space where the SM-1 launchers are now would be open to something else.

Why Iran chose the SM-1 instead of the Shahab Thageb as the early models had I dont know. Though I am curious, could the AWS-1 like radar the Jamaran has not direct an SM-1 towards a target? The radar definitely has the range (120km or so according to most sources), but I dont know how much it would have to be modified to allow it be properly guide an SM-1. However I think its more likely the AWS-1 like radar is used for both aerial and surface search (as it was intended) so you may be right in that the forward radar above the bridge may be able to guide the SM-1 as well.

That small radar antenna is actually quite interesting because I havent been able to find a radar that looks very much like it at all. Now, considering the older Otomelara 76mm cannon has a Max range of 17km for surface targets and range of 9km against aerial targets, its possible that small radar could have just enough range (say 20-30km) for guiding a SM-1MR. It may not allow the SM-1 to utilize its full range but still not a terrible range for a SAM on a vessel this size.

But I agree it isnt a very convient place to put SM-1s, Iran could have used that space of additional C-802/Noor Launchers or something else. I also agree the poor guy manning the Fath-40 cannon may get a lil burned being that close to the launchers but I am not sure how bad though considering they arent right next to each other (seems to be sevearl meters in between them). If the fath-40 was automated this problem would not exist. Which brings up something else I would like to discuss..

When you looks at the Jaraman, it looks like they had a basic design they wanted but had to modify the armament for some reason and armed with not the best weapons, such as the MANNED 40mm cannon on the back. Now I know for a fact Iran now has automated AA guns operational in their military (there are videos out there of automated 23mm, 35mm, and 100mm AA guns) so why they went with a manned gun on the Jamaran is quite puzzling. But I think I may know why this vessels armament is so odd..

Iran's military in recent history has had its priorites changed quite a bit since the Iran-Iraq war. Iran has funnelled alot of resources and money into its extensive ballistic missile programs and in the last 5 years or so they have funneled increasing amounts of money into their air defenses (resulting in several 'new' systems). Iran's Navy has also been quite active in recent years in terms of ship building but most of these new ships are small, cheaper, fast attack vessels. The Jamaran is Iran's first attempt at a larger surface combatant and is likely the most expensive project their navy has ever built. Considering how long it has taken for the Jamaran to be completed (Started construction in 2000 if I remember properly), I wonder if Iranian military brass decided to cut funding for the Jamaran to the point the designers had to equip it with armaments that were more available and cheaper than better more modern systems.

However, Iran has already stated they are working on a second member of this class that is to become operation by 2012 and I would think its possible that considering the advances Iran has made in that last few years the second vessel could be better armed. The following modifications could be made with the technology we know they have right now:

1. Fath-40- Manned cannon could be replaced with automated version or perhaps a automated Twin 35mm system as seen on early models of the Mowj/Jamaran. Now obviously this isnt the most modern system in the world, but its much better than a manned cannon.
2. SM-1- could be replaced with the Shahab Thageb/FM-80 system mounted infront of the bridge, openning up the space currently occupied by the SM-1 launchers.
3. Noor- Number of missiles could be increased to 8 if they used the space formerly for the SM-1.
4. Avionics- Iran could retain the AWS-1 like radar for surface search but could add the TM-ASR-1 2D Air Search radar for aerial survellience and allowing the AWS-1 to be more dedicated for use with the Noor/C-802.
5. Optics- Iran could add a Electro-Optic/IR system for guidance of the Fajr-27 instead of just using radar which makes the vessel more resistant to jamming. Such a system already exists on one of Iran's old Bayandor classes which has been fitted with a Fajr-27 with a EO or IR system actually mounted to the cannon itself. Such a system could also be used with a new Automated AA cannon.

These are just my thoughts though..

Some pics..

Attachments

• Jamaran4.jpg
    Jamaran4.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 62
  • Jamaran3.jpg
    Jamaran3.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Jamaran2.jpg
    Jamaran2.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 55
  • jamaran.jpg
    jamaran.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 537394_orig.jpg
    537394_orig.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 0024.jpg
    0024.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 04IranMilitaryForum_NET_Jamaran.JPG
    04IranMilitaryForum_NET_Jamaran.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 349
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 362

Some more..

Attachments

• normal_IRAN_%2875%29.jpg
    normal_IRAN_%2875%29.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 103
  • normal_IRAN_%2874%29.jpg
    normal_IRAN_%2874%29.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Mowj2.jpg
    Mowj2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 128
  • mowj.jpg
    mowj.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 537392_orig.jpg
    537392_orig.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Jamaran5.jpg
    Jamaran5.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 75
I may have been rash in stating that Jamaran does not carry SM-1, I maintain however that it offers the vessel very little capability and if they really have installed it I would question the logic behind it.

The original Mowj models show a lot of things, including a Phalanx in at least one case, so I tend to ignore them and focus on the actual vessel. They increasingly seem to have been exercises in propaganda rather than actual builders models.

The director on the bridge could be a derivative of any number of arrays but it is definitely a director. I suspect it has been developed from either the WM28 system as used on the Combattante class (most likely in my opinion given the use of one of those vessels as a test bed) or a US radar from the Babr class. Either way it is 1970s tech and incredibly obsolete. A radar is much more than its range, it needs to have effective ECCM, needs to be sufficiently reliable, to function in the required sea states etc, etc. The air search radar could not direct SM-1.

How manned the 40mm is has yet, to me at least, be seen. It may well be that it has RPC and can be slaved to the director but the crew have to keep it loaded. If it is a fully manual system then it is utterly useless in anything other than counter piracy operations or in an OPV role.

The vessel already has an EO system, some of the photos taken on board show what appears to be an optical system mounted on the lattice mast above the bridge though the lenses look small.

The 40mm certainly is manned, but that does not mean that it can not be slaved to the fire control radar. All we can see for sure is that the gun crew have to keep it loaded and firing, we dont know whether they have to aim it as well. Note that the Bayandor does not appear to have any other director for its 76mm, the optical turret mounted on the 76mm may well be the only targeting system for the gun.

The pictures you post just show how unreliable the early models were, the differences are multiple. I have also seen at least one variation on the model you posted.

Using the Jamaran as an indicator of Iran's defence industry is entirely fair as it demonstrates the backwards nature of the technology that it is actually able to be developed indigenously and put into service.
I dont buy any of the excuses for the Jamaran being such a poor effort, it looks indicative of the poor state of Iran's defence industry which seems to struggle with even the most modest modifications to the 70s era equipment that they inherited from the Shah. The second unit may bring some modest improvements but will still be a regional and global joke.

Last edited:

I agree the radar above the Bridge is very likely a Fire Control radar but as much as I know about Iranian radar tech I can't make any judgement as to how advanced it is or not.

I cant find them at the moment, but there are images showing the Fath-40 is a crewed/manned gun. When I first saw it I was stuck by it because I know Iran has automated AA guns so why they didnt put one on the Jamaran is a mystery to me.

You may consider some the reasons for the Jamaran antiqued features as "excuses" but I dont. I have studied Iran's military and defense industry for many years now and in certain fields they have made major advancements and manufacture many modern systems but in other areas (such as aircraft design) there are very little progress. When it comes to naval developments, Iran has largely spent most of its funding on smaller, faster attack boats and not larger surface combatants and there is reason for this. Iran is moving away from a conventional navy and moving towards an Assymetrical Navy which has several advantages for Iran in terms of effectiveness. Some may not think much of it but this change does have many in the US Navy 'worried'. There are numerous articles and reports out there of those in the Navy warning their commanders and leaders to move the navy towards being able to better combat such assymetric threats. Because Iran has shifted naval strategies, building large naval vessels is no longer a priority,

THis actually explains alot of the Jamaran's problems and likely why it took so long to finish (find an engine was also a problem). Its also interesting to note the second member of the Mowj class is possibly going to be based in the Caspian not the Persian Gulf which is also where all of Iran's Sina-1 class missile boats (near clones of La Combattante class missile boats) are built and based.

But to use the Jamaran as the 'proof' that Iran's defense industry is too old or backward I think is quite unfair. Iran's defenese industry isnt much like other nations in that they funnell funding to very specific sectors and ignores others. For an example, Iran has the industrial ability to build a decent number tanks a year but they dont (as far as we know) because for the moment, the need for them isnt high because a land war is unlikely with any of Iran's current neighbors/possible enemies. Whether such selective funding is a wise strategy or not I dont know but it has had some good results. It takes alot of time, resources and funding to develop modern military equipment, just look how long it took the Chinese to close the gap between the Soviet equipment they imported/copied to the technology we see which isnt very far behind Western technology (closer to European than American tech). Iran is in a similar positon as most of their domestic military tech is based on designed they imported 30 years and there is nothing wrong with that, because you have to start somewhere. Iran's defense industry is quite young and in the next decade we could see it mature considerably just as the Chinese Defense industry did from the 80's to the 90's. I am not saying we will necessarily see state-of-the-art technology from iran tomorrow or next year but I think you are being far too harsh in your opinion of their Defense Industry as a whole.

Just my Thoughts..

Oh I almost forgot, the EO system you mentioned.

I actually forgot about it but yes its quite small considering and is likely just for survellience and not for controlling or aiding the main gun in my opinion. THe EO system (or IR I cant be certain) integrated into the Fajr-27 fitted on one of Iran's Bayandor class corvettes is a bit different and is more like what I suggested as an possible upgraded, see below:

On a side note, this upgraded Bayandor also has been equipped with C-802/Noor missiles.

Attachments

• Bayandor4.jpg
    Bayandor4.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 93

Gents,

First off, I just realized the title of this thread is wrong. The Jamaran is not a class but an individual vessel. It is the first member of the Mowj-class Light Frigate.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but there at least two more members of the "Mowj-class" frigates under construction in Iran today. One, the Velayat, has been publicly known for several years now. The second, the Sahand, has only recently be revealed.

The first is the Velayat, which has been under construction at Bandar Anzali on the coast of the Caspian Sea. From GoogleEarth images, we can see that the vessel is nearly complete and could be launched very soon. The Velayat is likely to be a sister-ship to the Jamaran.

The soon-to-be 3rd member of the Mowj-class is the Sahand. This vessel is under construction at Bandar Abbas and is surprisingly NOT a virtual clone of the Jamaran or Velayat. The Sahand (named in honor of the Vosper Mk V frigate lost during Operation Praying Mantis) has a redesigned superstructure compared to the Jamaran. Dimension-wise the Sahand largely matches those of the Jamaran/Velayat. In addition to public images and Google Earth images, there are several images of a model displaying what the Sahand could potentially look like when completed.

Based on the model, here is my estimation of it's potential armament:

Guns: 1 x Fajr-27 76mm cannon (clone of Otobreda 76)
1 x 40 AA cannon (not certain if single-double barrel system)
1-2 x 20 GAM-BO1 20mm cannons
Missiles: 10 Launcher boxes (See below)
Misc: 2 x 24 tube MLRS/Chaff/Flare? (See Next Post)
ASW: 2 x Triple 324mm Torpedo Tubes

Missiles: All the launcher boxes on the model are similar in appear so it's hard to tell if some are meant for C-802/Noor AshMs or Iran's variant of the RIM-66B (called "Mehrab"). However, when looking at how the launchers are mounted to the hull, there is my proposal for the missile combination:

6 x Noor/C-802 AshMs - Based on the fact that 6 of the launchers are mounted at an angle.
8 x Mehrab/RIM-66B - Since it has been determined through independent research that the launcher boxes on the Jamaran came from the Babr class, in which each launcher carries two missiles each. Thus, 4 Launcher boxes = 8 missiles.

MISC: Recently, several images have appeared on the net showing a 24-cell launcher of some sort on the stepped deck of the Jamaran. At first, many thought it was a SAM launcher due to its superficial similarity to the HHQ-7 launcher. However, a more clear image of the launcher shows that if it did carry SAMs, they would have to be MANPAD size and would be exposed to the elements (in other words, the launcher is "open"). As such, some have suggested that instead it is intended as a rocket launcher of some sort (Chaff or Flares?). I'm fully open to other suggestions. However I mentioned it because there are two such launchers seen on the Sahand model next the funnel.

Attachments

• SahandModel3.jpg
    SahandModel3.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 80
  • SahandModel2.jpg
    SahandModel2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 74
  • SahandModel.jpg
    SahandModel.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 242644_407.jpg
    242644_407.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 242643_847.jpg
    242643_847.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Velayat.jpg
    Velayat.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 53
Here is the Mystery Launcher that I mentioned above:

Attachments

• Launcher1.jpg
    Launcher1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Launcher2.jpg
    Launcher2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MysteryLauncher.jpg
    MysteryLauncher.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 76

Eagle2009 said:
6 x Noor/C-802 AshMs - Based on the fact that 6 of the launchers are mounted at an angle.
8 x Mehrab/RIM-66B - Since it has been determined through independent research that the launcher boxes on the Jamaran came from the Babr class, in which each launcher carries two missiles each. Thus, 4 Launcher boxes = 8 missiles.

Eagle, great post, thank you. I do however have one comment; the launchers on the Babr class were the US Mk32 also used on the Ashville class gun boats, the launchers themselves do not carry two missiles each, there is only one missile in each launcher. On the Asheville class and Babr each launcher had one reload located in a box directly in front of the launcher- this is where the two rounds per launcher comes from for those ships. However, the Sahand model only appears to have the box launcher and not the reload boxes in front of them meaning they probably only carry one missile per launcher; thus Sahand may only carry ten missiles. Jamaran does have four Standard missiles on board though so it is possible when the ship is fitted out they may repeat the Jamaran configuration but double it for a total of eight missiles.

See the high-res picture of Babr in the link below, what look like very long boxes amidships and in-front of the bridge are actually one launcher and one reload box each, the Jamaran configuration is essentially the amidships configuration of Babr: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/ITS_Babr_D61.jpg

The MLRS, I would agree, is almost certainly a countermeasures launcher. Also, the 40mm is a single mounting- probably identical to that installed on Jamaran. There are however four 20mm mounts, one either side of the 40mm as well as two in front of the bridge- one either side of the box missile launchers. Overall, in relative terms, this does seem like a considerable improvement on the Jamaran though the fire control looks to be the same.

Edit; looking closer I think there are actually six 20mm on the model, there seems to be an additional pair mounted on the superstructure just behind the bridge and next to the mast- one either side.

I'm not sold on that being a dedicated CM launcher. Iran has a history of using multiple rocket launchers in naval applications and there are already known naval 122mm MRLs in 8 and 16-round versions (described here). Stepping up to a 24-round MRL seems quite plausible. That launcher could possibly double as a CM system, but I suspect its main function would be as a cheap, high-impact weapon against non-naval targets (merchant ships and the like).

TomS said:
I'm not sold on that being a dedicated CM launcher. Iran has a history of using multiple rocket launchers in naval applications and there are already known naval 122mm MRLs in 8 and 16-round versions (described here). Stepping up to a 24-round MRL seems quite plausible. That launcher could possibly double as a CM system, but I suspect its main function would be as a cheap, high-impact weapon against non-naval targets (merchant ships and the like).

That's good insight.

TomS,

The problem I have with being a MLRS is that it's appearance is unlike any in Iran. They are indeed very prolific with rocket artillery but almost all their designs use "tubes". This launcher could best be described as a "rack". I honestly don't know what to make of it to be honest, its too exposed for a SAM IMHO, the diameter of the holes look a bit small for 107mm or 122mm rockets. It's a mystery to me.

JFC Fuller,

But, where those reload boxes attached to main launchers on the Babr? If so, I would personally considering that one "extra long" launcher. Regardless, the reason I suggest the launchers on the Sahand model are likely carry two missiles each (depending on my previous thought) is the fact they are laying flat and seem to take up the entire width of the Sahand's hull (~11 meters), just as the launchers on the Jamaran do. Thus, logic would dictate since the Sahand has four "sets" of launchers, it could carry 8 total RIM-66 based missiles.

On an interesting side note, Iran has built/modified a single-cell RIM-66 launcher, which is currently fitted to the Gorz missile boat (Kaman class). So perhaps that is the what the basic launcher looks like without the reload box directly infront of it?

Eagle2009 said:
JFC Fuller,

But, where those reload boxes attached to main launchers on the Babr? If so, I would personally considering that one "extra long" launcher. Regardless, the reason I suggest the launchers on the Sahand model are likely carry two missiles each (depending on my previous thought) is the fact they are laying flat and seem to take up the entire width of the Sahand's hull (~11 meters), just as the launchers on the Jamaran do. Thus, logic would dictate since the Sahand has four "sets" of launchers, it could carry 8 total RIM-66 based missiles.

On an interesting side note, Iran has built/modified a single-cell RIM-66 launcher, which is currently fitted to the Gorz missile boat (Kaman class). So perhaps that is the what the basic launcher looks like without the reload box directly infront of it?

The magazine is always attached to the main launcher some how, otherwise you can't feed the missile to the launcher. ;) As I said in my post, when the ship is fitted out it will almost certainly use at least one and probably more of the four missile configurations seen on Jamaran its just that on the model it looks like it only uses single box launchers.

Eagle2009 said:
TomS,

The problem I have with being a MLRS is that it's appearance is unlike any in Iran. They are indeed very prolific with rocket artillery but almost all their designs use "tubes". This launcher could best be described as a "rack". I honestly don't know what to make of it to be honest, its too exposed for a SAM IMHO, the diameter of the holes look a bit small for 107mm or 122mm rockets. It's a mystery to me.

The pictures aren't good enough to really tell, but I think there's an array of tubes set back behind the pierced "faceplate" (which may be for some sort of additional protection against blast or weather). On a closer look, I think the launcher is not long enough for the 122mm round, but 107mm is plausible.

PS: A thought just occurred. Turns out that some 107mm launchers (notably the Chinese Type 63) have removable barrels. If there are empty racks in this launcher, it may be because the barrels are not installed for whatever reason.

JFC Fuller,

Honestly I don't see how you would come to that conclusion.

There are two "sets" of launchers on the stepped structure on the front of the Sahand (in front of the bridge) and two more "sets" between the stepped structure and the Fajr-27 cannon. Since the launchers reach at least one edge of the hull, logic dictates the launchers extend across the entire beam of the vessel just as the Jamaran's launchers do. So, since they are four "sets" of these launchers (each "set" being the main launcher box and the reload box), the only conclusion I can come to is that the model has twice as many launchers as the Jamaran and thus should carry 8 RIM-66/Mehrab missiles.

Kaiserbill,

That AshM launch is from an Alvand-class light frigate, not a member of the Mowj-class. The Alvands are the basis for the Mowjs, but that's all.

ALCON,

Sadly, I don't have time for a proper full update but here are some images of the 2nd member of the Mowj-class of light frigates ("Damavand"), recently launched in the Caspian Sea. Structure wise, it is largely similar to the Jamaran launched years ago but equipment-wise is a bit different. The number of SAM launchers is now just two (carrying RIM-66 based missiles yet again), the AshM launchers moved, a new radar system where the old AWS-1 was and a WM-28-like radar added.

Here are said images of the new vessel:

Attachments

• BandarAnzaliDecember12.jpg
    BandarAnzaliDecember12.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 55
  • hemate khahi-3.JPG
    hemate khahi-3.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Jamaran-2-WM-28.jpg
    Jamaran-2-WM-28.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 107
  • Jamaran.100.jpg
    Jamaran.100.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 57568120645327415746.jpg
    57568120645327415746.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 5617_10151343245118603_2018039253_n.jpg
    5617_10151343245118603_2018039253_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Some additional images...

Attachments

• 295222_964 (1).jpg
    295222_964 (1).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 000_nic6199061.jpg
    000_nic6199061.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Jamaran.110.jpg
    Jamaran.110.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 57
Time for some much-needed updates on the Mowj family of Light Frigates/Corvettes (or "Destroyers" as the IRIN classifies them)!

First, a rundown on all the vessels in this family (in order of public unveiling/launch):
  • IRIS Jamaran- Initially launched in 2007. Built at Bandar Abbas.
    • 1st generation design (heavy Vosper Mk 5 influence)
    • 1x Fajr-27 cannon (OTO Melara)
    • 1x Fath-40 AA cannon (Bofors L60?)
    • 2x Triple 324mm Torpedo Tubes (Mk 46)
    • 4x Noor/C-802 AshMs
    • 2x Mark 32 SAM Launchers (4x RIM-66B?)
    • Electronic Suite- Similar to Vosper (including cloned AWS-1 radar) with new FC radar installed above the bridge.
  • IRIS Damavand (I)- Initially launched in 2015. Built at Bandar Anzali (Caspian Sea). Sank in 2018.
    • Similar design/armament to Jamaran except no reload boxes for the Mk 32 SAM Launchers. SAMs and AshMs are also repositioned on the hull. This is due to the Damavand using a different propulsion system.
    • Electronic Suite- New Air-Search radar and WM-28 based FC radar in addition to new FC radar fitted to Jamaran.
  • IRIS Sahand- Unveiled in 2012 but not truly completed (mainly armament) until 2018. Built at Bandar Abbas.
    • New superstructure design, with apparent intent to lower the vessels RCS to some degree.
    • Armament varies from the Jamaran/Damavand in the following waysL:
      • No SAMs fitted as of its 2021 trip to Russia.
      • Ghader AshMs fitted (longer ranged versions of the C-802/Noor family)
      • Kamand CIWS, clearly derived from the AK-630 with "stealthy" new turret.
  • IRIS Dena- Moved from dry dock to water in July-August 2015. Fitted out and unveiled in 2021, built in Bandar Abbas.
    • 1st generation hull/superstructure design. Armament/Electronics suite is largely identical to Damavand (I).
Future Members (based on public statements, Google Earth imagery, etc):
  1. IRIS Damavand (II)- Images emerged in Fall 2020 showing a new vessel under construction at Bandar Anzali. Official statements suggest the original vessel was recovered and is being reconstructed. Regardless of origin, the design of this "new" Damavand does differ from the original to some degree.
  2. IRIS Shiraz- Moved from dry dock to the water July-August 2015. No armament fitted as of August 2021. Not confirmed to be a member of the Mowj family and the superstructure is unique from all existing members of the class (including a repositioned helipad) but has nearly identical hull dimensions.
  3. Unknown Hull- Visible on Google Earth imagery as early as June 2017, a 93-94 meter hull is located in a shipyard near Bostanu (west of Bandar Abbas). No activity in over 3 years.
More pictures and mysteries to come!

Images of the IRIS Sahand:

Attachments

• 242643_847.jpg
    242643_847.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 242644_407.jpg
    242644_407.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1970598_770.jpg
    1970598_770.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Sahand1.jpg
    Sahand1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Sahand Russia Parade.PNG
    Sahand Russia Parade.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Images of the IRIS Dena, launched just a few months ago. I also have an image showing what appears to be a hull-mounted sonar. Not sure how similar or different this design is to the hull-mounted Graseby 170/174 sonar the Vosper Mk. 5's were reportedly fitted with.

Attachments

• Dena (rear).jpg
    Dena (rear).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Dena (head-on).jpg
    Dena (head-on).jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Dena Frigate.jpg
    Dena Frigate.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Sonar Snapshot.PNG
    Sonar Snapshot.PNG
    765.4 KB · Views: 38
Image of the "new" Damavand under construction presently at Bandar Anzali. Notice the pedestal now in place likely for mounting a Kamand CIWS.

Attachments

• New Damavand Construction (Nov 2020).jpg
    New Damavand Construction (Nov 2020).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 52
Here is a mystery I've been looking into recently. A new set of launchers have appeared on both Mowj class vessels but also at least one Alvand/Vosper Mk 5 class vessels.

So far I've confirmed them to be mounted on the IRIS Damavand (I), IRIS Sahand, and IRIS Alborz (which also now sports a Kamand CIWS!).

While I assume these 12-barrel launchers are ASW-related, what do y'all think?

Attachments

• DamavandUnknownLauncher.jpg
    DamavandUnknownLauncher.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 52
  • EK7nqPPWoAAm8W4.jpg
    EK7nqPPWoAAm8W4.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 72- Kaman CIWS.jpg
    72- Kaman CIWS.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 54

Attachments

• Shiraz1.jpg
    Shiraz1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 44
  • ShirazHelipad.jpg
    ShirazHelipad.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Shiraz-Side View.PNG
    Shiraz-Side View.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 58
Here is a mystery I've been looking into recently. A new set of launchers have appeared on both Mowj class vessels but also at least one Alvand/Vosper Mk 5 class vessels.

So far I've confirmed them to be mounted on the IRIS Damavand (I), IRIS Sahand, and IRIS Alborz (which also now sports a Kamand CIWS!).

They really look like countermeasures launchers to me. It's not an exact match, but they feel very much like some of the Chinese chaff launchers like the Type 947 (which I cannot find a decent picture of online) or the older French SAGAIE or British SuperBarricade launchers, all designed for relatively low-density rocket-propelled payloads.

It's an Iranian torpedo decoy launcher. The Jamaran has a 24x one at the front

Attachments

• 20220209_130715.jpg
    20220209_130715.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220209_130717.jpg
    20220209_130717.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 31
Time for some much-needed updates on the Mowj family of Light Frigates/Corvettes (or "Destroyers" as the IRIN classifies them)!

First, a rundown on all the vessels in this family (in order of public unveiling/launch):
  • IRIS Jamaran- Initially launched in 2007. Built at Bandar Abbas.
    • 1st generation design (heavy Vosper Mk 5 influence)
    • 1x Fajr-27 cannon (OTO Melara)
    • 1x Fath-40 AA cannon (Bofors L60?)
    • 2x Triple 324mm Torpedo Tubes (Mk 46)
    • 4x Noor/C-802 AshMs
    • 2x Mark 32 SAM Launchers (4x RIM-66B?)
    • Electronic Suite- Similar to Vosper (including cloned AWS-1 radar) with new FC radar installed above the bridge.
  • IRIS Damavand (I)- Initially launched in 2015. Built at Bandar Anzali (Caspian Sea). Sank in 2018.
    • Similar design/armament to Jamaran except no reload boxes for the Mk 32 SAM Launchers. SAMs and AshMs are also repositioned on the hull. This is due to the Damavand using a different propulsion system.
    • Electronic Suite- New Air-Search radar and WM-28 based FC radar in addition to new FC radar fitted to Jamaran.
  • IRIS Sahand- Unveiled in 2012 but not truly completed (mainly armament) until 2018. Built at Bandar Abbas.
    • New superstructure design, with apparent intent to lower the vessels RCS to some degree.
    • Armament varies from the Jamaran/Damavand in the following waysL:
      • No SAMs fitted as of its 2021 trip to Russia.
      • Ghader AshMs fitted (longer ranged versions of the C-802/Noor family)
      • Kamand CIWS, clearly derived from the AK-630 with "stealthy" new turret.
  • IRIS Dena- Moved from dry dock to water in July-August 2015. Fitted out and unveiled in 2021, built in Bandar Abbas.
    • 1st generation hull/superstructure design. Armament/Electronics suite is largely identical to Damavand (I).
Future Members (based on public statements, Google Earth imagery, etc):
  1. IRIS Damavand (II)- Images emerged in Fall 2020 showing a new vessel under construction at Bandar Anzali. Official statements suggest the original vessel was recovered and is being reconstructed. Regardless of origin, the design of this "new" Damavand does differ from the original to some degree.
  2. IRIS Shiraz- Moved from dry dock to the water July-August 2015. No armament fitted as of August 2021. Not confirmed to be a member of the Mowj family and the superstructure is unique from all existing members of the class (including a repositioned helipad) but has nearly identical hull dimensions.
  3. Unknown Hull- Visible on Google Earth imagery as early as June 2017, a 93-94 meter hull is located in a shipyard near Bostanu (west of Bandar Abbas). No activity in over 3 years.
More pictures and mysteries to come!
That last one is Taftan. Also I saw an interesting Twitter post speculating over the future armament of the Damavand-2, Taftan, and any other future Moudge/Mowj class frigates. It's not official of course:
A Fajr-27 (confirmed)
2 23mm Asefeh chainguns for point defense
A 30mm Kamand CIWS (confirmed)
VLS (confirmed). For those VLS, he speculates 8-16x VLS cells for SAMs. Each would fit a single Bavar-373 or 4 Navvab (naval version of Zubin). And another 8-16 for Mobin stealth anti-ship cruise missiles
Mark 32 torpedo tubes
The anti torpedo decoy chaff launchers

Attachments

• Untitled141_20220205150312.png
    Untitled141_20220205150312.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

I'd agree that the torpedo decoy is one possible payload for such a launcher. I doubt it's limited to just torpedo CMs, though. A load of 24 such rounds is a LOT of decoys just for torpedoes. Most international CM launchers similar in appearance to this one can handle a wide range of decoys, from radar frequency to IR to anti-torpedo CMs. It's a really versatile kind of launcher; basically a framework for firing light rockets with many different CM payloads.

I'd agree that the torpedo decoy is one possible payload for such a launcher. I doubt it's limited to just torpedo CMs, though. A load of 24 such rounds is a LOT of decoys just for torpedoes. Most international CM launchers similar in appearance to this one can handle a wide range of decoys, from radar frequency to IR to anti-torpedo CMs. It's a really versatile kind of launcher; basically a framework for firing light rockets with many different CM payloads.
Correct it could also carry chaff and other CMs. I'm just going off of what's been confirmed by the company that produces it said.

Surprised nobody has updated on this thread yet considering it's been a few day already, but here we go
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/comments/184dp09/irans_navy_finished_its_fifth_mowj_class_frigate/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/WarshipPorn/comments/184xezl/irans_navy_released_more_pictures_from_its/

The updated design looks both cool and weird in someway, although the fact that it went to see with what appears to be no visible SAM VLS and no radars apparent on the mastface is kinda worrying in some way. I'd understand if it is still in the "fitting out" process like Type 003 but the ship has sailed. Weird Iranian bureaucracy.

Also why are reddit links not showing a preview like they were supposed to do?