Eagle2009

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Gents,

Several months back, a rather interesting naval concept showed up on display in Iran. From the posters that are near the model, it is believed this vessel (which is currently named Khalij Fars or Persian Gulf) is a training vessel for the IRIN. The vessel class is sometimes referred to as "Loghman class" but this has not been confirmed by official sources.

The vessel looks to be considerably larger than any other surface combatant Iran has built, with a helicopter deck and hangar. The vessel's role as a training vessel is strongly suggested by the appearance of the superstructure. The vessel also appears to be armed (as many training vessels are, in case of war).

But the truly interesting thing about this concept to me is the potential such a design has. Sure, this model depicts a training vessel, but assuming the design is proven sound, logic dictates Iran will then build a truly combat-capable variant which would certainly add to Iran's conventional naval forces in the Persian Gulf (as opposed to the unconventional vessels being built for the IRGCN).

Honestly, I don't know what the dimensions of such a vessel would be, though I would wager it would have a displacement of ~3,000 tons.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 29180_528.jpg
    29180_528.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Loghman-frigate-Class.jpg
    Loghman-frigate-Class.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 148
Problem is, that given that Iran's Navy is currently treated as just a (inferior) adjunct to the IRGC, it's unlikely funds would become available to build her even as a training ship.

Grey Havoc,

While I once subscribed to the theory that the Iranian government prefers the IRGCN to the IRIN, I have found that it's not that clear cut. What Iran has done is divide up responsibilities between the two. The IRGCN will become the dominant naval force WITHIN the Persian Gulf and the IRIN will become the primary naval force OUTSIDE the Persian Gulf. As such, the IRGCN is building large numbers of gunboats/missile boats (which are likely very cheap to construct and operate), and the IRIN is building more Mowj-class frigates, Ghadir class submarines, Sina-1 class missile boats, and performing refits to many of their older vessels.

Here is just a sample of what the IRIN has been up to in the last decade:

- 3 Mowj class Frigates (1 Commissioned, 2 under construction)
- 4+1 Sina-1 class Missile Boats (4 deployed in the Caspian, at least 1 under construction in the PG)
- ~20 Ghadir class midget submarines
- Refit of Type 877EKM submarines (all 3 planned, at least 1 completed)
- Refit of Bayandor class Corvettes (Both vessels have been fitted with Fajr-27 cannon and 4 x Noor AshM)
- Refit of PGM-71 class Patrol Boat (recently seen fitted with Nasr/C-704 launchers)

In the near future:

-Fateh class Patrol Submarine (Fairly well described for an Iranian project, ~550 ton displacement, similar in appearance to German Type 205/206 submarine)
- Mowj class Frigate (the Sahand is referred to also as the Mowj-5, suggesting their could be two more vessels planned at least)

I agree the IRGCN gets all the headlines, but their naval expansion is only large in terms of total vessels (most of which are less than 25 ton displacement and has no real long-range attack ability). In terms of capability, both naval forces have improved over the last decade, but since the IRIN was in the stronger position in the first place, the IRGCN's growth certainly looks more striking.