Interesting collage from Lockheed's Skunk Works site

Ah that's much clearer. I can make out the panes on my attached image now also - they were faded into the sky.

It Actually looks most like a development of their ICE configuration, but it's difficult to determine since that coin/medal covers up the tail.

Looks almost like the concept art below for an F-22 variant.

Who the heck would design a wing like that?

LowObservable said:
Looks almost like the concept art below for an F-22 variant.

Who the heck would design a wing like that?

Lockheed Martin apparently (unless this was some Popular Science imagination):

Attachments

• fb22_header.jpg
    fb22_header.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 300
  • fb_22_1.jpg
    fb_22_1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 296
it was PopSci fanart, Scott

And Sundog wins 1000 internetz today

Attachments

• hflsahdflakjsh.jpg
    hflsahdflakjsh.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 290
  • a496067.gif
    a496067.gif
    73.5 KB · Views: 319
ICE configuration has been the subject of some very recent (2016-2017) publications where different actuators solutions were evaluated.

And Skunk Works was not prominently involved, if at all.
Three Lockheed documents indicating that the Sea Shadow was a Skunk Works project.

Attachments

• chart-v2.png
    chart-v2.png
    394.8 KB · Views: 161
  • tb_9909STMIA.jpg
    tb_9909STMIA.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 168
  • LMSW-03.jpg
    LMSW-03.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 158
Three Lockheed documents indicating that the Sea Shadow was a Skunk Works project.

Skunk Works was not a major participant in the Freedom LCS. I thought that was obvious from the sentence I quoted.

I find it hard to believe an official Lockheed document would include ‘Aurora’.

The third slide strikes me as interesting, though. Are the skunks on the timeline indicative of a classified project?

he third slide strikes me as interesting, though. Are the skunks on the timeline indicative of a classified project?
I couldn't say, but here's the entire timeline if that can help.

Attachments

• LMSW-01.jpg
    LMSW-01.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 91
  • LMSW-02.jpg
    LMSW-02.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 82
  • LMSW-03.jpg
    LMSW-03.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 86
  • LMSW-04.jpg
    LMSW-04.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 93
  • LMSW-05.jpg
    LMSW-05.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 142
here's the entire timeline if that can help.
The timeline has classified aircraft in the following years:
1984, 1991, 1994, 2004, 2006, 2016, 2019

Future aircraft are 2026, 2031, and 2032.

An aircraft (1984) appeared after F-117A development and before YF-22 first flight. As high a priority as ATF, I am assuming that this aircraft was a technology demonstrator for the ATF? Any thoughts on this aircraft and do the other timelines add up to any other known Lockheed classified test flights?

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe an official Lockheed document would include ‘Aurora’.
Because second one is Mike Machat's spreadsheet from September 1999 issue of PopMech

As high a priority as ATF, I am assuming that this aircraft was a technology demonstrator for the ATF?
ATF program history and funding is readily available. So may I ask you for what money and at what stage of program Lockheed has decided to invest bunch of own money in ATF TD?

Why is Suntan there? An admission that the prototype was finished?

Why it should be an "admission"? There are plenty of not realized projects there as well apart of Suntan.

What unrealized/unbuilt projects are there on chart-v2.png before the future section?

EDIT: this image to be clear

Attachments

• chart-v2.png
    chart-v2.png
    394.8 KB · Views: 142
Once more, why have you decided that chart before 'future' must contain only built/flown/exploited project?

The classified project right after the Polecat in 2005 must be the RQ-170. I’m surprised the RQ-170 was deployed operationally less than two years after the first flight Polecat. To me that suggests that the linage of the RQ-170 goes back much further and that the Polecat and RQ-170 might have been developed in tandem rather that one led to the other.

The classified project right after the Polecat in 2005 must be the RQ-170. I’m surprised the RQ-170 was deployed operationally less than two years after the first flight Polecat. To me that suggests that the linage of the RQ-170 goes back much further and that the Polecat and RQ-170 might have been developed in tandem rather that one led to the other.

RQ-170 and Polecat were not related

The timeline has classified aircraft in the following years:
1984, 1991, 1994, 2004, 2006, 2016, 2019

Future aircraft are 2026, 2031, and 2032.

An aircraft (1984) appeared after F-117A development and before YF-22 first flight. As high a priority as ATF, I am assuming that this aircraft was a technology demonstrator for the ATF? Any thoughts on this aircraft and do the other timelines add up to any other known Lockheed classified test flights?
Something important to note is that the dates listed for the acknowledged aircraft are for when they were built, not when their respective program began. So, we know the first 6 aircraft (1984-2016) were built in their respective years.

I highly, highly doubt there was at ATF technology demonstrator. All we can hope for is more reveals, for the other entries.

Reading the article above indicates Suntan was so huge I think it would have been hard to produce (and certainly need large long runways to deploy from) - as large as two B-52 bombers?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom