Hayes Aircraft Prometheus Supersonic Tow Target

memaerobilia

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.memaerobilia.com
Hello; I have an unidentified professional -type desk model (metal and composite, I believe). I had asked Missile and rocket buffs and collectors, over on the collect space forums for an ID and received several replies that they believed it was probably a proposed missile design that was never actually produced. Any thoughts/comments or ID?
I ALSO have a Unique archive of rocket and missile history and data, compiled by award winning aero-historian/author Alfred Kruger (former Luftwaffe Press Officer). It consists of some 30-40 years of research and data collection on missiles and rockets, in 15 three inch thick Leitz albums, which weigh over 100 lbs and takes some 4 feet of shelf space. I no longer have use for this item in my library. It includes a great deal of data, original brochures and catalogues and reports, articles, clippings, dwgs, from archival and company and military files, and original photos of all sizes, and correspondence etc for all countries.
mis7.jpg

first Welcome to this Forum, Joe Gertler !

the unidentified desk model
this complet unknown to me, looks like 1950's design

shockonlip said:
Check out the area-ruling!

I think.
I do not know what you mean by this? Am I violating a forum posting rule? Is this in wrong section?

Thank you for the welcome Michael.

This model came from Long Island, New York. So more of a chance it MAY have come from a local contractor like Grumman, Fairchild, Republic, Sperry etc. But it is still a mystery to me.....

Area ruling is an aerodynamic design concept.

memaerobilia said:
shockonlip said:
Check out the area-ruling!
I do not know what you mean by this? Am I violating a forum posting rule? Is this in wrong section?

No, no.

Area ruling is an aerodynamic technique to reduce transonic and supersonic drag. The pinched section of the fuselage where the wings are attached is a sign that area ruling has been used in this design.

Area rule aka the transonic area rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_rule

very unusual for a rocket (they don't need this)

looking again on picture
i note (for me) more strange things

first that Rocket got Area rule form
those nozzle in end, are the 4 main engine or reaction control ?

and odd fins in front
they look stabilised for horizontal flight

can it be this is not a missile but a cruise missile ?

Thank you for your patience.,.. I came here to learn (and share my other archival material of earlier aviation One-off and concept designs), and am learning. To further clarify, because you cannot see it clearly in the photo.. The front external extensions are two each, at 180 degrees to each other. The rear (triangular) fins are four each, at 90 degrees to each other. I see no indication that there were ever any additional fins at extreme rear.

question
Wat is on right end ?
A Nozzle of rocket engine or Jet engine ?

another thing
is there no info on the model
the foot were model stand on, has no name plate ?
or name of model maker under it ?

There are no signs that there ever were markings on the top or botom of the all black, solid metal stand. (Heavy-not aluminum). Underneath is just a green felt pad. There are eight ports at the rear of the missile, with all openings tapering off before reaching the rounded rear end.

mis2i.jpg

mis1i.jpg

now i really confused !

this look more like solid booster pack than a engine
if this is a Solid rocket engine who eject after use
then the Area rule shape is then a Ramjet Engine !

but i don't see any Air intake in front of this missile
but now makes those strange fins in front a sense
Wat if the small tube in middle of Fins
is this a cover for Air intake and Fins are bypass for cables ?

and this bright orange color, USAF use that color for targets Drone
can this be a Ramjet powered drone ?

Michel Van said:
now i really confused !

this look more like solid booster pack than a engine
if this is a Solid rocket engine who eject after use
then the Area rule shape is then a Ramjet Engine !

but i don't see any Air intake in front of this missile
but now makes those strange fins in front a sense
Wat if the small tube in middle of Fins
is this a cover for Air intake and Fins are bypass for cables ?

and this bright orange color, USAF use that color for targets Drone
can this be a Ramjet powered drone ?

Don't ramjets usually have a straight-through design? The presence of eight 'exits' in that case would seem to rule out a ramjet - unless there were eight of them.

The only things I can think of is that this was either:

1) An attempt at some kind of a towed transonic target - hence the area ruling. The ports would be for flares to emulate the IR signature of the target craft it's simulating.

or

2) A high speed target that is boosted up to speed. In that case the ports in the rear fuselage could be either sustainer motors, some kind of 'base-bleed' style drag reduction device, or flares as IR targets.

I like the latter, as I think the former is a bit 'out there'. Also, the latter might explain the strange assembly at the front - perhaps like the Bristol CRRTV it's designed to lessen the ground impact of the drone at the end of its flight by penetrating the ground. Then the little necked area down from the nose and the flanking arms could be part of a shock absorber system. In fact, if you compare the nose profile with the CRRTV they seem to be nearly identical.

CRRTV: http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/bobbin.htm

So in all probability I think it's a high-speed recoverable target drone.

The red-orange overall color is actually typical of targets.

I agree that probably is a towed high-speed (the area rule) target.
For sure the rear holes are likely to be exhausts for flares and/or smoke rather than such exotic (and improbable) propulsion system.

Probably is two stage target. The forward part hosting the cable for towing, once reached the desidered velocity the four fins open-up releasing the second stage for an high-speed solo flight, chased by some high altitude high speed interceptor (that could be manned or unmanned).

At least this is my personal opinon about that.....

archipeppe said:
I agree that probably is a towed high-speed (the area rule) target.
For sure the rear holes are likely to be exhausts for flares and/or smoke rather than such exotic (and improbable) propulsion system.

Probably is two stage target. The forward part hosting the cable for towing, once reached the desidered velocity the four fins open-up releasing the second stage for an high-speed solo flight, chased by some high altitude high speed interceptor (that could be manned or unmanned).

At least this is my personal opinon about that.....

See my edited post above - I've changed my mind (happens all the time ;))

starviking said:
Don't ramjets usually have a straight-through design? The presence of eight 'exits' in that case would seem to rule out a ramjet - unless there were eight of them.

an attempt at some kind of a towed transonic target - hence the area ruling. The ports would be for flares to emulate the IR signature of the target craft it's simulating.

or an unpowered high speed target that is boosted up to speed.

I gess that is a Solid Booster that seprerate from "Missile" after use.

but it can be towed by Aircraft

Michel Van said:
starviking said:

an attempt at some kind of a towed transonic target - hence the area ruling. The ports would be for flares to emulate the IR signature of the target craft it's simulating.

or an unpowered high speed target that is boosted up to speed.

I gess that is a Solid Booster that seprerate from "Missile" after use.

but it can be towed by Aircraft

I'm thinking that towing the target might be problematical: it is area ruled, so it must at least be expected to operate in the transonic regime - buffeting would make this hazardous.

Also, as a towed target it's either redundant or dangerous, as you could try out your sensors on the towing aircraft and if you're firing guided weapons at it it could be hazardous for the tow plane.

starviking said:
I'm thinking that towing the target might be problematical: it is area ruled, so it must at least be expected to operate in the transonic regime - buffeting would make this hazardous.

Also, as a towed target it's either redundant or dangerous, as you could try out your sensors on the towing aircraft and if you're firing guided weapons at it it could be hazardous for the tow plane.

In principle I agree with you but we must remember that really weird things appeared in past, especially during 50's....

archipeppe said:
starviking said:

In principle I agree with you but we must remember that really weird things appeared in past, especially during 50's....

Quite true! ;D

Looking for something else I found this!

the caption reads, "F-89C modified for tow target work; bright red target was mounted on similarly painted pylon. Aft end of the tow target was shaped to produce a specified radar return. Tow target was flown in excess of a half-mile behind the F-89, attached to a cable played out from storage reel fitted into the radar observer's cockpit."

From 'Aerofax datagraph 8: Northrop F-89 Scorpion', page 67.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• F-89 with towed target.jpg
    F-89 with towed target.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 85
robunos said:
Looking for something else I found this!

the caption reads, "F-89C modified for tow target work; bright red target was mounted on similarly painted pylon. Aft end of the tow target was shaped to produce a specified radar return. Tow target was flown in excess of a half-mile behind the F-89, attached to a cable played out from storage reel fitted into the radar observer's cockpit."

From 'Aerofax datagraph 8: Northrop F-89 Scorpion', page 67.

cheers,
Robin.

;D ;D ;D

Haven't posted in a while, but a friend sent two pictures. Does anyone know what this vehicle is?

Attachments

• DSCN6056.JPG
    DSCN6056.JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN6055.JPG
    DSCN6055.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 379
Hayes Aircraft Corporation, Birmingham Alabama, "Prometheus" supersonic dart-type tow target.