Bitcoin and cryptocurrency

From an article in today's The Street:

"To that end, reports this week suggest GameStop is paring staff with another round of layoffs, this time focused on the group's blockchain and NFT unit, which began expanding earlier this year following a deal with now-bankrupt crypto trading platform FTX."

NFT. Non-Fungible Token. Seriously? Who comes up with this? You pay real money to buy something that only exists on your computer? I don't think so.

You pay real money to buy something that only exists on your computer? I don't think so.
Music is just a series of ones and zeros. As are streamable movies and downloadable books.

PFFFT ! So what? Cryptocurrency is a con game. A perfumed marketing job to convince people to buy nothing in exchange for a line in a ledger. Bankruptcies, hacking (with 2022 setting a record for thefts) and some people are getting rich at the expense of their clients. NFTs are nothing, like the Metaverse which lost billions because Zuckerburg thinks he can make billions. He has zero imagination, but no one wants to live, work and play in his crappy amusement park. Some people are sold the fake idea that an image of a Nike sneaker design they can never touch or see in person is worth anything. It's not. Never will be..

The influence these people have is incredible. A prestigious auction house was going to auction some NFTs but that was cancelled. On top of that, NFTs are stolen as well. What a great con - you get them coming and going. Sad.

NFT. Non-Fungible Token. Seriously? Who comes up with this? You pay real money to buy something that only exists on your computer? I don't think so.
As compared to say, Adobe, where you pay real money to rent something that only exists on your computer?

You pay real money to buy something that only exists on your computer? I don't think so.
Music is just a series of ones and zeros. As are streamable movies and downloadable books.

PFFFT ! So what?

You just said "I don't think so" to buying "something that only exists on your computer." The economy of just exactly that sort of thing is *vast.*

... is a con game. A perfumed marketing job to convince people to buy nothing in exchange for a line in a ledger. Bankruptcies, hacking (with 2022 setting a record for thefts) and some people are getting rich at the expense of their clients.
Welcome to the last 4,000 years.

As compared to say, Adobe, where you pay real money to rent something that only exists on your computer?

Or AutoCAD or a whole lot of basically vital programs that now exist only in subscription form.

Hell, *books* that people buy in order to read on their devices aren't safe. Books have been withdrawn and edited remotely without the buyers consent. That's why the bulk of my software is old, the bulk of my books are paper.

Or AutoCAD or a whole lot of basically vital programs that now exist only in subscription form.

Hell, *books* that people buy in order to read on their devices aren't safe. Books have been withdrawn and edited remotely without the buyers consent. That's why the bulk of my software is old, the bulk of my books are paper.

I know about the issue with ebooks, some of the novels I purchased had their covers updated from the artwork covers of the last paperback editions to not very good photographic artwork.

Forgot to post this:

Higher electricity usage than Norway?

A few headlines that I think might be appropriate:

"The Future of Money? There's no Money in It."

"Is This the End of Crypto? Industry-wide Collapse on Horizon."

:)

Last edited by a moderator: