All those weird and wonderful postwar homebuilt U.S. one-offs...

Hi. In doing research on the NRC Flying Wing tonight, I came across some weird fact about Larry Linville (of M*A*S*H fame) built a "Flying Plank"! I had to post but before I did, I searched this forum and found out someone had already posted about "Flying Plank" gliders so I thought I would tag along.

Here's some articles and pics...

I wonder if he called his glider "Hot Lips"???

Hi. In doing research on the NRC Flying Wing tonight, I came across some weird fact about Larry Linville (of M*A*S*H fame) built a "Flying Plank"! I had to post but before I did, I searched this forum and found out someone had already posted about "Flying Plank" gliders so I thought I would tag along.

Here's some articles and pics...

I wonder if he called his glider "Hot Lips"???
Found this online about Larry Linville's tailless glider - sounds like a variation of a Bankstrom EPB-1 plank:

"Why not turn a hobby into a profitable enterprise?" Linville said. "I'm a nut about soaring and love to get out there in the wide open spaces on the weekend. One day, up there in the blue, I was struck with the idea for a tailless glider. So, I went to work with an aircraft engineer to design it."

He said he hoped the new glider would bring him prestige and profit in the aeronautics world. Having a role such as Maj. Frank Burns, which brought him new fame, didn't hurt either.

According to the article, he started building his glider around 1966 and collaborated with Al Backstrom, an F.A.A. Engineer.

His glider wings were made of spruce and plywood and covered with fabric. It extended 32.8 feet when attached to the 9.5-foot pod of the glider. It was a "flying wing" craft with a vertical, but no horizontal, stabilizer.

"Our glider, the Super Plank, will be the smallest, lightest, cheapest, and easiest to build sailplane ever assembled," Linville said in an interview with The Courier News.

According to the interview, the flying craft was expected to weigh about 220 pounds and cost around $500, which would be about $3,000 today.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The following might be of interest...

In 1971, Boeing of Canada considered the possibility of producing a number of Bolköw Phoebus, a modern West German fiberglass sailplane, at its Winnipeg, Manitoba, plant. Given the high cost of building the molds used to manufacture the main components of the aircraft, Boeing of Canada needed a large order. It contacted the national coordinator of the gliding program of the Air Cadet League of Canada and asked if the league was prepared to pursue the possibility of ordering 100 Phoebuses.

It should be noted that, at that time, Canada's Department of National Defence subsidized the glider flying courses of about 180 air cadets each year .

The national coordinator of the gliding program, Lloyd Davies, loved the idea but added that the West German glider was a bit too cutting edge for inexperienced teenagers. The league could also have serious difficulties in paying and keeping a hundred gliders in flight. Somewhat disappointed but aware of the correctness of those comments, Boeing of Canada gave up the idea of producing the Phoebus in Canada.

Davies refused to give up the idea of producing a glider for the Air Cadet League of Canada, however. Intrigued by the Harmon Linville Dingus, he prepared plans for a derivative, the Cadet Model 100, in 1972. The league supported the project of producing such an aircraft but its configuration worried several people. Davies changed his concept to some extent, but was no more successful.

Davies refused yet again to give up the idea of producing a glider for the Air Cadet League of Canada, but that's another story, which can be explored at https://ingeniumcanada.org/channel/...bilitation-program-the-cours-de-programmation

Further to the Cusick "Unstable Mabel", here's a contemporary magazine article: four pages, with ten illustrations.

The photo at the bottom of page 114 shows two men standing on the glider's wing, but the perspective makes it look like they're standing behind a scale model! :)

Attachments

• Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 112.jpg
    Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 112.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 113.jpg
    Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 113.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 114.jpg
    Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 114.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 115.jpg
    Popular Science - Mar 1950 - pg 115.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 23
Bumble Bee II.
American single engine, single seat, negative staggered, cantilevered biplane with conventional landing gear.
Developed from the Bumble Bee 1.
First flight 8 May 1988.

Source X

Attachments

• GM_53uyXwAAPL6J.png
    GM_53uyXwAAPL6J.png
    523.8 KB · Views: 18
Regarding the Popular Science article on the Cusick "Unstable Mabel", the caption to the photo at the top of page 114 mentions the wing had once been on a plane which flew in the National Air Races.

The plane in question seems to be the Keith Rider R-4, aka the "Schoenfeldt Firecracker". The racer still exists - intact - and is currently on display at the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, California. During its active life (1936-1940), the racer seems to have been rebuilt a number of times, so perhaps the specific set of wings used on the Cusick glider had been discarded during one of those rebuilds.

It's not often that a powered aircraft is reconfigured to become a glider, but, after a fashion, this is one of those times.

Attachments

• Schoenfeldt Firecracker.jpg
    Schoenfeldt Firecracker.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4