AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The catch? I asked it on Russian) And Russian name for guinea pig is "morskaya swinka" (rus. "sea piggie"). It's a very-very old term, that initially was "zamorskaya swinka" (rus. "piggie from over the seas", i.e. from distant countries). And... well, ChatGPT 3.5. did not know what exactly "morskaya swinka" means. It knew that it's some kind of pet, and it assumed that it's a sea animal) So the result.

It's the sort of mistake a human could easily make, and the sort humans *do* make. We see the same sort of thing here on the SPF; it is dominated by native English speakers, using English, American, Aussie, Canadian, etc. idioms. Which are often misunderstood not only by non-native English speakers, but by *other* English speakers.

This has resulted in confusion and occasional irritation, but it's generally cleared up fairly quickly by a question and explanation or two. AI needs little more than that.

The catch? I asked it on Russian) And Russian name for guinea pig is "morskaya swinka" (rus. "sea piggie"). It's a very-very old term, that initially was "zamorskaya swinka" (rus. "piggie from over the seas", i.e. from distant countries). And... well, ChatGPT 3.5. did not know what exactly "morskaya swinka" means. It knew that it's some kind of pet, and it assumed that it's a sea animal) So the result.

It's the sort of mistake a human could easily make, and the sort humans *do* make. We see the same sort of thing here on the SPF; it is dominated by native English speakers, using English, American, Aussie, Canadian, etc. idioms. Which are often misunderstood not only by non-native English speakers, but by *other* English speakers.
Hopefully the AI is I enough to ask the English for help with that little conundrum.

On the contrary, a human would most likely try to research what exactly "morskaya swinka" means. Especially if human knew Russian well enough to write a poem) My point exactly is that AI have a significant problem with additional research, if such are required. If some piece of data is NOT obvious, AI most likely would just ignore it.

On the contrary, a human would most likely try to research what exactly "morskaya swinka" means.

*Maybe.* Depends on how much time they have, how lazy they are, how *arrogant* they are. "Oh, I know that... I read about that a while back. That's a 'sea pig,' some sort of Russian manatee. That's all i need to know."

If some piece of data is NOT obvious, AI most likely would just ignore it.

As would many/most humans. I've have had personal encounters, IRL and online, with people who hear/read some phrase they've never heard before and completely misunderstand it. Hell, the use and misuse of double negatives alone has often caused complete chaos. People have lost their jobs because *they* correctly used the benign word "niggardly," but those listening in are ill-educated, easily offended boobs.

Hell, this:

View: https://twitter.com/ClownWorld_/status/1645511042385186818

I suspect an AI *wouldn't* get this as wrong as this woman does.

*Maybe.* Depends on how much time they have, how lazy they are, how *arrogant* they are. "Oh, I know that... I read about that a while back. That's a 'sea pig,' some sort of Russian manatee. That's all i need to know."
Heh) To be exact, "morskaya svinya" (not "svinka") is Russian term for porpoises) ;) So yeah, it's pretty possible) Still, my point stands.

Heh) To be exact, "morskaya svinya" (not "svinka") is Russian term for porpoises) ;) So yeah, it's pretty possible) Still, my point stands.
"Legitimate businessman." There's what it says, there's what it means... and there's what it *really* means. If you've never had a chance to encounter the differences before, what seems a perfectly cromulent and self explanatory phrase could turn out to be wholly opposite of what you think it means... and there'd be no reason for you to suspect otherwise until people start looking at you funny. As with humans, so with AI.

Just wait until AI figures out how to translate Humpback into English. *Badly.*

Zeevarken 'sea pig' is old Dutch for porpoise. Nowadays, it's bruinvis 'brown fish'.

Last edited:
In french it is cochon d'Inde, which literally means "pig from India" (don't ask me why !).
And you'd better not mis-write it as cochon dinde, because that would be a pig-turkey hybrid...

Meerschweinchen means little sea pig or little ocean pig, obviously based on the same etymology as in Russian.

Tikus Belanda is Indonesian for guinea pig - 'Dutch mouse'. Just to confuse matters.

"cromulent"? Again?
You don't get to complain about vocabulary until you learn the difference between "explaining the situation as it is" and "advocating for the situation."

I wonder at how angry you get at the weatherman when he tells you a tornado is bearing down on you.

After editing a couple hundred books and reading a lot more, cromulent has never come up. Never saw it.

"cromulent"? Again?
You don't get to complain about vocabulary until you learn the difference between "explaining the situation as it is" and "advocating for the situation."

I wonder at how angry you get at the weatherman when he tells you a tornado is bearing down on you.

After editing a couple hundred books and reading a lot more, cromulent has never come up. Never saw it.
Interesting! So, once again we are presented with a situation where someone encounters something new, and then essentially denies that it exists because he's never encountered it in his narrow bubble. In this case it's a word that has been in *fairly* common use for decades... while relevantly to this discussion, previously it was the idea of AI doing certain jobs.

"Can't happen because I've never encountered it before!"

Which logical fallacy is that one?

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike and putting Hollywood on notice. Or 'those cheap bums.'
Considering how bad were Hollywood scenarios for the last decade or so, I could only recommend the members of the Writers Guild to start write better scenarios. If a totally brainless machine could make a better movie than a pompous screenwriter, then the quality level was already quite low.
Speaking as someone who works with and has been inside 'Hollywood' writer's rooms many times, you should know that writers loathe the endless stream of comic book movies and sequels even more than consumers. It isn't the writers who are to blame, but studio executives who pick and choose what shows/movies to green lit.

Almost every animator and artist in animation I know (me included) despise the live action remakes of classics and the trend to lean into derivative or tacky gimmicky shit (Emoji movie, Minecraft movie etc.). We don't have a choice because it's the higher ups who decide what to make, mostly based on personal conviction of what they think audiences want, and therefore will make oodles of money.

"cromulent"? Again?

Interesting! So, once again we are presented with a situation where someone encounters something new, and then essentially denies that it exists because he's never encountered it in his narrow bubble. In this case it's a word that has been in *fairly* common use for decades... while relevantly to this discussion, previously it was the idea of AI doing certain jobs.

"Can't happen because I've never encountered it before!"

Which logical fallacy is that one?

Where did I write "can't happen"? It's an anomaly. A word UFO. I work with genius-level creatives. In brainstorming sessions, in other creative meetings - no appearance by this word. Nothing in Stephen King's book 'On Writing.'

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike and putting Hollywood on notice. Or 'those cheap bums.'
Considering how bad were Hollywood scenarios for the last decade or so, I could only recommend the members of the Writers Guild to start write better scenarios. If a totally brainless machine could make a better movie than a pompous screenwriter, then the quality level was already quite low.
Speaking as someone who works with and has been inside 'Hollywood' writer's rooms many times, you should know that writers loathe the endless stream of comic book movies and sequels even more than consumers. It isn't the writers who are to blame, but studio executives who pick and choose what shows/movies to green lit.

Almost every animator and artist in animation I know (me included) despise the live action remakes of classics and the trend to lean into derivative or tacky gimmicky shit (Emoji movie, Minecraft movie etc.). We don't have a choice because it's the higher ups who decide what to make, mostly based on personal conviction of what they think audiences want, and therefore will make oodles of money.

The same thing is happening in the comic book industry, of which I know some practitioners. Endless "wars" books. Recycled character plots. Very few attempts to do what Marvel did in the 1960s - create new, interesting characters. So you have slick covers, but good stories? Not so much.

Where did I write "can't happen"?

Right next to where you imagined I support slavery because I recognize that employers and customers want to pay as little as they can for the best product they can.

I work with genius-level creatives.

For how long, though?

Nothing in Stephen King's book 'On Writing.'

Yeah, so? Is there anything in that book on "how to deal with getting replaced with an AI app?"

The slavery jab was about billionaires who are buying everything in sight. Microsoft is investing billions in OpenAI because they can see the big payoff. Meanwhile, you might not see much in the way of Social Security if the 'working man' is out of work.

A so-called comedian who I strongly dislike, had this to say:

'A question for all you billionaires out there who are going for your second billion. What are you going to do with it? Start your own space program?

'Hey Dad! Let's send a monkey to Mars!'

Meanwhile, I suspect due to losses in the so-called crypto market, something else is slowly creeping back up.

The slavery jab was about billionaires who are buying everything in sight.

ERRR. You suggested that I support slavery because I recognize that people want cheap stuff, including labor. Do you pay *more* than you need to? Do you send extra money when you write your check to the IRS? Do you normally tip 500%? Do you choose the least fuel efficient vehicle just so you can feel the moral superiority that comes from buying extra fuel?

Answer to each of these is very likely "no." So the question becomes, do *you* support slavery? Since that's where *your* mind immediately went when you read someone tell you the truth about economics. And so people will ditch humans who can be effectively replaced with automation, whether that automation is a card-programmed loom, an assembly line robot, a UCAV or a chatbot app AI that can spit out a page of convincing bullshit.

'A question for all you billionaires out there who are going for your second billion. What are you going to do with it? Start your own space program?

At least three of them have, and one of them has been unquestionably successful at it. A one-in-three ratio is probably pretty damn good, especially if Blue Origin ever pulls its thumb out.

The slavery jab was about billionaires who are buying everything in sight.

ERRR. You suggested that I support slavery because I recognize that people want cheap stuff, including labor. Do you pay *more* than you need to? Do you send extra money when you write your check to the IRS? Do you normally tip 500%? Do you choose the least fuel efficient vehicle just so you can feel the moral superiority that comes from buying extra fuel?

Answer to each of these is very likely "no." So the question becomes, do *you* support slavery? Since that's where *your* mind immediately went when you read someone tell you the truth about economics. And so people will ditch humans who can be effectively replaced with automation, whether that automation is a card-programmed loom, an assembly line robot, a UCAV or a chatbot app AI that can spit out a page of convincing bullshit.

At least three of them have, and one of them has been unquestionably successful at it. A one-in-three ratio is probably pretty damn good, especially if Blue Origin ever pulls its thumb out.

Oh, oh pleeeez... Don't take yourself too seriously. Here's the equation:

Gas prices up.
Food prices up.
Everything else - up.

If I can't pay for things I actually need -- along with a growing list of books I want - where does that leave me?

Only the wealthy, the king and his court, get whatever. And if you want to be a billionaire you have to be cheap. Just call your buddy, Mike "Big Fish" Dontano. He can arrange for children to be brought in to their billion dollar empire to clean machine parts instead of paying an adult, or truck in some illegals for a meal and then back before the law finds out what's going on.

I don't need a lesson in shmekonomics. Things have not changed since Medieval times.

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike ...

That'll make the decision to replace them with AI that much easier. Jack up the minimum wage for non-skilled labor to $20/hour, you get fully automated McDonalds. Factory workers make demands and stop working, the robots come in. Farm workers cost too much? They get replaced with illegal aliens. There is always a cheaper option, and if you want to keep your career, *you* have to make the case that the cost/benefit analysis for your employer/client still has *you* being the one getting paid.

The first thing a politician does when he comes to power is to try to change the law of supply and demand ignoring that it is a physical law like gravitation.

If I can't pay for things I actually need -- along with a growing list of books I want - where does that leave me?

Learning to prompt? Maybe taking up welding, plumbing or coal mining, possibly useful human professions once AI replace all the B Ark jobs?

"B Ark jobs" did not compute. And I edit SF, Fantasy and all the rest.

I'd avoid mentioning coal mining. The FBI might contact the EPA and... well...

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike ...

That'll make the decision to replace them with AI that much easier. Jack up the minimum wage for non-skilled labor to $20/hour, you get fully automated McDonalds. Factory workers make demands and stop working, the robots come in. Farm workers cost too much? They get replaced with illegal aliens. There is always a cheaper option, and if you want to keep your career, *you* have to make the case that the cost/benefit analysis for your employer/client still has *you* being the one getting paid.

The first thing a politician does when he comes to power is to try to change the law of supply and demand ignoring that it is a physical law like gravitation.

Supply and demand? What's that? Exxon Mobil is hunting for companies to buy since they made record profits last year. A company that produces collectibles - who I won't name - just trashed part of their inventory. Why? To keep market prices up.

Learning to prompt? Maybe taking up welding, plumbing or coal mining, possibly useful human professions once AI replace all the B Ark jobs?

See https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/recruiter-ark/.
Ohhhhh.... TV Producers. Got it. Thanks.

See https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/recruiter-ark/.
Ohhhhh.... TV Producers. Got it. Thanks.
When I entered the state administration I also believed Adams' hypothesis, but after a while I understood that this race of parasites are actually the most intelligent segment of society, they simply take advantage of the work of others. All governments understand this reality and go to great lengths to keep these guys busy with inconsequential things. Some of history's dumbest kings were devoured for ignoring the existence of the B Ark. A smarter than me once told me that if they were all fired from their jobs, half would end up in jail and the rest in government. History seems to agree with this.

Someone claiming to be a professional in the sci-fi field and not getting the "B Ark" reference is like someone claiming to be a professional Shakespeare historian and not getting a "Hamlet" reference.

Someone claiming to be a professional in the sci-fi field and not getting the "B Ark" reference is like someone claiming to be a professional Shakespeare historian and not getting a "Hamlet" reference.

Sigh. I guess I'm no longer a professional. I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps I'll just keep coming into work.

Status
Not open for further replies.