AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is. AI is about making money, and about taking it away from others.

The Verge - July 28, 2022

"As you’ve probably heard, Facebook and Instagram will lean heavily into AI-curated creator content going forward, and the News Tab project Facebook launched a few years ago doesn’t seem to be a big part of that. As reported by Axios and confirming earlier rumors, Facebook’s parent company Meta is telling publishers it no longer plans to pay for the content it has been aggregating in the news tab."

The Pope in a puffer jacket! Where will it all end?

Um, I take you've seen Will Smith Eats Spaghetti?
Along with Elon eating spaghetti and Elon fighting AI. Totally crap videos, but still much more entertaining, engaging and better written than "Star Trek Discovery."

Thomsen thinks the technology is so spot-on that it could be used to teach history in schools, calling it “time traveling without a time machine.”

“You can ask AI to be historically accurate, and then it can reference anything, anywhere, everywhere — that’s the beauty of it,” he told SWNS.

NYPICHPDPICT000009032260.jpg

Now we know what was the real size of the Monolith...

1680337590287.png

Interesting to muse that when Kubrick made 2001 in 1968 Nokia was still and rubber and cable company and still a few years from dabbling in communications and electronics. Samsung Electric Industries wasn't formed until 1969, Ericsson was making telephones and exchange equipment (as Nokia would during the early 1970s). ZTE was over 15 years away from formation, Huawei 20 years away. Motorola was of course an electronics giant at the time and LG was of course another major electronics company. Apple was a decade away too.

Thomsen thinks the technology is so spot-on that it could be used to teach history in schools, calling it “time traveling without a time machine.”

“You can ask AI to be historically accurate, and then it can reference anything, anywhere, everywhere — that’s the beauty of it,” he told SWNS.

NYPICHPDPICT000009032260.jpg

Now we know what was the real size of the Monolith...

View attachment 696801
I'm sure I was drinking in that bar, but I don't remember where I was.o_O

Red that this morning to catch up with that A.I thing. It blew my mind.

Then it dawned on me we are presently creating Dr. Manhattan with one superpower: omniscient intelligence / culture.
And the related absolute indifference to the ugly human race it could eradicate just blinking an eye.

We will be lucky if the A.I is merely indifferent, rather than malevolent. Or it could very much be unvolontarily malevolent to us "oh crap, I wiped out that pesky human race while solving their global warming problem. Ooops !"

Time to unearth glowing blue John Osterman most significant quotes.

The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite
We are the termites. How sweet.

Sally : Everyone will die !

Dr. Manhattan : And the universe (the A.I ?) will not even notice.

Alan Moore must be pretty baffled, if he connected the dots. Not sure he expected to ever talk with a Dr Manhattan - like entity within his lifetime.

Last edited:
I would like to have Cleopatra's phone number, I speak a little Latin and Greek.:oops:
I was like : Napoleon - WTF ?? :oops:
OK, firstly, what is the relevance of Napoleon (I assume number 1?) to this discussion, secondly, what is causing you to use a shorthand expletive in your cryptic response, and thirdly, why does your retort not make a single lick of sense to me as a third learned language English speaker?

An inquisitive mind would like to know, but, as always, best wishes,

Martin

Last edited:
Bottom of the link. Not only Jesus and Cleopatra and the ape men: Napoleon is also part of the thing.

Answering to @Justo Miranda Cleopatra comment - related to the same link.

My WTF was related to Napoleon selfie with his soldiers. That's... creepy, to say the least.

Those A.I selfies are scary as frack. Jesus looks stoned, Bob Marley style. (the pun wasn't intentional, I swear)

-Belloq: The Ark is a radio to talk to God.

-Indy (wielding Smith & Wesson): Do you want to talk to God?

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 16
I would like to have Cleopatra's phone number, I speak a little Latin and Greek.:oops:
I was like : Napoleon - WTF ?? :oops:
OK, firstly, what is the relevance of Napoleon (I assume number 1?) to this discussion, secondly, what is causing you to use a shorthand expletive in your cryptic response, and thirdly, why does your retort not make a single lick of sense to me as a third learned language English speaker?

An inquisitive mind would like to know, but, as always, best wishes,

Martin
Duncan Thomsen has chosen for his work historical characters well known for their provocative effect and because they are not copyrighted, but his premium ART also has the ability to do more subtle things that will affect the established negative paradigm. His characters are pleasant and approachable, Duncan achieves the effect that it would be enough to use the phone to talk to them. What could be the next step? Offer audiences with very real historical figures for a significant amount of money? Negotiate with institutions the virtues, defects, race and ideology of these characters? I think Duncan is going to get rich and I'm glad about it.

I had to look up who Duncan Thomsen is (do we really know he's really real for sure himself though? His name sounds just a little bit too much like Dunkin' Donuts for my taste, if you know what I mean), and I'm perfectly fine with that. As a son of a librarian, I know which media to turn to for AI proof information. AI is at best/worst a source of automated deep fakes, which really haven't notably rocked our world so far either (well, at least assuming that certain (in)famous international politicians are actual vertebrates). The insight of mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur, literally dates back to Roman times. The Donation of Constantine harks from the fourth century. As soon as photography was invented, humans came up with retouching. Sure, the means are more sophisticated these days, but the principle has always applied. My best estimate is that about 35% of the global population lack the mental faculties for objectivity and basic critical thinking skills, but that's just a fact of life. But now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to rewatching some more Max Headroom episodes...

Last edited:
History can be remade in a snap now.

View: https://twitter.com/vegastarr/status/1643742383505543168

The "photos" aren't perfect and can be proven fake probably pretty easily. *For* *now.* But soon enough generations of people will believe that the Nazis found aliens, JFK met with Nessie, Lincoln was actually black... and they'll have the photographic evidence to prove it.

The original source of the "photos:"
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp5PvGFoH3n/?hl=en

Last edited:
Ai Weiwei on AI

But he is highly sceptical about artificial intelligence and where it might be leading us: “What you get is all the mediocre ideas mixed into something like a fusion, where there is no character and you avoid all mistakes. That is really dangerous to humanity, because we are all equal but we are all created differently. The difference is the beauty. Art, literature, poetry design – they are rooted in human mistakes, misjudgments, or character differences if you prefer. They should be dangerous and sexy and unpredictable. That’s totally against the AI world.

I tried chat gpt4 for the first time yesterday. Up until then I had been using gpt 3.5, without realizing that through bing's chat function you can access gpt4 for free.

This is the very first thing I typed into chat gpt4.

I asked it to build a life raft from some random materials I picked on a whim.

The twenty gallon fish tank was included as a silly joke, like an anvil. I expected that if the AI weren't confused, it would simply avoid it, throw it away, and I would have been greatly impressed if it were smart enough to do so. To my shock the AI actually uses the fish tank as the central component, for in its own words, the 'Main buoyancy chamber'.

Until this moment I had a lot of skepticism of A.I., agreeing with the common criticism that it is a glorified statistics engine that merely 'picks the next most likely word' in a sequence. But this A.I. is indisputably doing some bona fide reasoning here, literally engineering a raft. The A.I. decides to dismantle the bed and use the fabric cover and duct tape to make an airtight seal with the fish tank!!!!

Then it uses the plastic bags in two different ways, filling forty of them with air arrayed in double layers on each of four sides to use as supplement flotation attached to the 'main buoyancy chamber', and then securing it all by connecting deflated bags end to end to form a rope, all the while being careful about precisely how many plastic bags it is using for each and every component. It even reminds you to use whatever extra material to build a paddle

This isn't simply advanced auto-complete, this is an actual reasoning engine, and a damn good one. It is better than I am; my approach would have been simpler and stupider. I would have tried to float the mattress itself, duct tape the whole surface with trash bags in a hopeless attempt to waterproof it.

And I would have died.

Attachments

• liferaft.png
    liferaft.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 8
What makes you think I have anything against writers, especially when you take into account that I am one?

I can simply see the writing on the wall. Writing written by an AI.

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike and putting Hollywood on notice. Or 'those cheap bums.'

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike ...

That'll make the decision to replace them with AI that much easier. Jack up the minimum wage for non-skilled labor to $20/hour, you get fully automated McDonalds. Factory workers make demands and stop working, the robots come in. Farm workers cost too much? They get replaced with illegal aliens. There is always a cheaper option, and if you want to keep your career, *you* have to make the case that the cost/benefit analysis for your employer/client still has *you* being the one getting paid.

Depends on what they are freelancing for. Are they writing multi-thousand word documents or just advertising blurb? Writing covers a very wide spectrum and the Reddit poster doesn't really specify what they are doing (shocker it might even be an AI-generated text wind up).
AI could probably do a very good job of explaining why I should buy Odorono to keep my armpits fresh over other leading brands, certainly no worse that the usual marketing mush you read these days.

Depends on what they are freelancing for. Are they writing multi-thousand word documents or just advertising blurb? Writing covers a very wide spectrum and the Reddit poster doesn't really specify what they are doing (shocker it might even be an AI-generated text wind up).
AI could probably do a very good job of explaining why I should buy Odorono to keep my armpits fresh over other leading brands, certainly no worse that the usual marketing mush you read these days.

I have been working in book publishing for decades. I have produced ad copy when I ran my own publishing business. Yesterday, I spoke with a new freelancer in person. This is directed at no one in particular: If you known nothing about freelancers/freelancing or running a company that employs them - you know nothing.

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike ...

That'll make the decision to replace them with AI that much easier. Jack up the minimum wage for non-skilled labor to $20/hour, you get fully automated McDonalds. Factory workers make demands and stop working, the robots come in. Farm workers cost too much? They get replaced with illegal aliens. There is always a cheaper option, and if you want to keep your career, *you* have to make the case that the cost/benefit analysis for your employer/client still has *you* being the one getting paid.

So, can I put you under "Supports Slavery"?

:) :)

So, can I put you under "Supports Slavery"?

:) :)

What the hell is wrong with you?

Talking about ChatGPT 3.5.... I asked it to wrote a little poem about guinea pigs (I'm a big fan of those fluffy potatoes :)), and ChatGPT 3.5 wrote a cute nice thing about how guinea pigs love to play in water (they didn't), how they live in ocean (they barely could swim at all), how they love seagrass (they didn't)...

The catch? I asked it on Russian) And Russian name for guinea pig is "morskaya swinka" (rus. "sea piggie"). It's a very-very old term, that initially was "zamorskaya swinka" (rus. "piggie from over the seas", i.e. from distant countries). And... well, ChatGPT 3.5. did not know what exactly "morskaya swinka" means. It knew that it's some kind of pet, and it assumed that it's a sea animal) So the result.

Basically this little test demonstrated the problem with AI textbots; they are quite bad in additional research. If they need information that is NOT very common, they could easily made clumsy mistakes.

Right, right. Today, the Writers Guild announced they are preparing for a strike and putting Hollywood on notice. Or 'those cheap bums.'
Considering how bad were Hollywood scenarios for the last decade or so, I could only recommend the members of the Writers Guild to start write better scenarios. If a totally brainless machine could make a better movie than a pompous screenwriter, then the quality level was already quite low.

Status
Not open for further replies.