What should a modern carrier air group look like?

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Aircraft carriers in various forms are a popular subject on this site, but the various discussions got me wondering what should a carrier air group look like?

My starting point is the standard US nuclear carrier. No other design or actual carrier approaches these ships in experience and flexibility.

During the Cold War, the Nimitz and Forrestal ships were equipped to go in harm's way:

2 sqns F14 with long range missiles to shoot down long range Sov bombers and their missiles

2 sqns A6 with precision guided munitions to hit key installations or large naval units at longish range

2 sqns A7 then FA18 to tackle naval units or provide close air support ashore.

1 sqn S3 for long range ASW against Sov nuclear subs

1 sqn ASW helos

1 sqn AEW and Carrier on board delivery Greyhounds

a spare recce or elint plane or two (F8, Skywarrior)

whereas today the Nimitz relies on F18s, helos and its AEW flight.

At first glance the USN seems to have given up on long range carrier airpower at a time when the threat from Russian and Chinese weapons is growing.

Different world, different threat.

F14, fuel burn means you need a tanker, and today they order the uav tanker, so the f18 can go further.

Threat is no longer bear, so long range missile with limited manoeuvrability at the end, also gone.

I imagine, in terms of available weight of ordnance dropped, the f18 fleet is a long way up on a7 and a6, especially when you include aircraft availability etc. Precision weapons effectively multiply this.

Drones for recon, plus satellites.

Anti sub, I imagine more drones and p8.

Greyhound, isn’t v22 going to do this?

Russia and China make great claims, I’m sure us consider these threats, and responses are either in place or preparation, such as energy weapons etc. But is China really going to try and sink a us carrier in the South China Sea? I doubt it, how would you predict the current us president would react? How would American consumers react? And worst case is they fail to hit the cv.

All the Chinese gear looks great, as does any new town built on an empty field. China lacks real world combat experience, the west have been fighting for 100 years, and learnt a lot. Standard new build fighter in west is now a stealth design, with unimaginable levels of automation, and capability, China standard new build is a version of Israeli lavi, a fine aircraft I’m sure, but not the same class. The rest is of Russian origin. You ever drive a Russian car? Sure it’s a car, but no-one wants one, nor a Russian machine tool.

In a shooting war you would see new weapons integrated in days, like uk did in the falklands, if you didn’t design the aircraft you will struggle to do this. And of course we have the unknown known, us spends a fortune, and has done for years. Where did it go? If things get hot, you will see new results, probably not see the delivery mechanism.

Different world, different threat.

F14, fuel burn means you need a tanker, and today they order the uav tanker, so the f18 can go further.

Threat is no longer bear,

Bears are still around. So are Backfires, H-6s, HALE UAVs, etc. etc

Right. One major thing that changed was the ability of other assets (notably surface ships) to participate in what were once traditionally carrier airwing missions. For instance, AEGIS (especially with the newer VLS ER Standards) has increasingly taken over the outer air battle role that the F-14 was intended for. Likewise, Tomahawk on ships and subs has taken over much of the initial deep strike mission of the A-6 (which itself was a step back from aircraft like the A3D and A3J). Drones and satellites have reduced the need for dedicated, manned reconnaissance aircraft. Etc.

But also note things that have been added or expanded, like the growing presence of electronic version of a attack aircraft (the EA-18) because EW is much more important and complex than it used to be. Dedicated tanker drones to give increased range without going to very large manned aircraft.

Rafales M, F3+ standard. They can do everything, packed in a compact shape: fleet defense at short, medium and long range with Magic, Mica and Meteor; ground attack with cruise missiles or powered or gliding or dumb bombs; nuclear strike through ASMP-A, ECM & radar strike, buddy-buddy refueling, reconnaissance, ASM with up to three Exocets... screw CdG, put a load of them into a properly done Q.E ship (not the british castrated horror) and there you go...

Even operating out of CdG, they can still kick the arse of Kuznetsov, Liaoning, and whatever Indian carrier coming close.

Last edited: