img350.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 76
  • MwM-1953-1-768x1025.jpg
    MwM-1953-1-768x1025.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 74
  • MwM-1953-2-768x1025.jpg
    MwM-1953-2-768x1025.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 66
I've often thought that the design of the 1953 war machines made more sense than the tripods of the book I doubt HG Wells conceived of anti gravity, but also in terms of making the film it would have taken months of stop motion shooting to make the film, much easier to go with a model suspended on wires and moved along.

I've often thought that the design of the 1953 war machines made more sense than the tripods of the book

By 1953, the War Machines of the book would have been easily mopped up by a drunken squad of National Guard aided by some local hillbillies.
I guess that’s progress. The footfall aliens expected to fight ninjas and armoured knights, but met panzers and me262’s..... suck it up, yeeee haaaaa.

The footfall aliens expected to fight ninjas and armoured knights, but met panzers and me262’s..... suck it up, yeeee haaaaa.

Naw. The Race ran into panzers and Me 262s... the Fithp ran into nuclear pulse vehicles and crazy people riding 16-inch cannons loaded with nukes.

The footfall aliens expected to fight ninjas and armoured knights, but met panzers and me262’s..... suck it up, yeeee haaaaa.

Naw. The Race ran into panzers and Me 262s... the Fithp ran into nuclear pulse vehicles and crazy people riding 16-inch cannons loaded with nukes.
And where are they both now......we are destined for galactic hegemony

Just think of how the invasion would have been in 1920 instead of 1901. Bombers that could fly above the heat ray range, fast moving self propelled artillery, scads of weaponry and men who knew how to use them. The martians would be wiped out before the first sniffle.

Just think of how the invasion would have been in 1920 instead of 1901. Bombers that could fly above the heat ray range, fast moving self propelled artillery, scads of weaponry and men who knew how to use them. The martians would be wiped out before the first sniffle.

I thought about a sequel to 'War of the Worlds'; the Martians have absorbed the lessons of their first invasion, their craft are bio-sealed and filtered, and they've worked on treatments and prevention for Earth diseases. Unfortunately, by the time they return, the events of Wells' 'The World Set Free' have occurred, and the Earth defenders have Atomic power, and Carolinum Atomic weapons . . .

cheers,
Robin.

I thought about a sequel to 'War of the Worlds'; the Martians have absorbed the lessons of their first invasion, their craft are bio-sealed and filtered, and they've worked on treatments and prevention for Earth diseases. Unfortunately, by the time they return, the events of Wells' 'The World Set Free' have occurred, and the Earth defenders have Atomic power, and Carolinum Atomic weapons . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Funny you should mention that. Stephen Baxter's authorized sequel, set in 1920: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Massacre_of_Mankind

Spoiler alert: They're not.

cheers,
Robin.

What are Carolinum Atomic Weapons.

I always love the bit in the Jeff Wayne musical were the Martian 'meteor' is unscrewing and Richard Burton utters the line "and suddenly the lid fell off".

What are Carolinum Atomic Weapons.

Well's vision of atomic weapon from the "The world set free" novel. Since radioactivity was already known, but how exactly energy could be extracted from radioactive materials nobody know, Wells envisioned sort-of "continious atomic burn" - i.e. bomb emit roughly the same energy per second as usual chemical explosive, but continued to emit said energy for years. "Carolinum" is a fictional radioactive element with half-life of about 17 days, which bomb used as a fuel

Always figured the likelihood of Bremerton not being cratered was zero.

The comic/graphic novel series Scarlet Traces takes over where War of the Worlds left off and starts a series of stories centred on Britain vs the Martians

There is a series "The Great Martian War" by Scott Baxter, at Amazon. The Martians find a workaround to the sniffles, and return. It is still a railroad and dreadnought era on Earth, and in the interim little useful research was done. They have learned the heat ray is effective only to a mile or so, and three inch guns can pierce Martian armor. The series is worth reading, telling the story from both the human and Martian viewpoint.

ways figured the likelihood of Bremerton not being cratered was zero.

What is Fithp?

What about Bremerton?

What is Fithp?

What about Bremerton?
Aliens

Where humans built an Orion.

What is Fithp?

Fithp.jpg

Deceptively "cute." They kill a few billion humans.

I've often thought that the design of the 1953 war machines made more sense than the tripods of the book I doubt HG Wells conceived of anti gravity, but also in terms of making the film it would have taken months of stop motion shooting to make the film, much easier to go with a model suspended on wires and moved along.
Yes its cool

And then we have Turtledove's "The Road not taken" . Aliens who fly wooden starships Carry pike and swords. And the height of weapons tech for them are matchlocks.
Who have landed on the present day Earth to demand tribute from the primitive earthers.
Let's just say , it doesn't go quite the way the Aliens planned it.

And then we have Turtledove's "The Road not taken" . Aliens who fly wooden starships Carry pike and swords. And the height of weapons tech for them are matchlocks.
Who have landed on the present day Earth to demand tribute from the primitive earthers.
Let's just say , it doesn't go quite the way the Aliens planned it.
It was at this very moment the aliens knew... they had fucked up. (I like that stupid meme)

Last edited: