Various US Walking Machines Projects

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Chapter 20 of Annie Jacobsen's book "Area 51" describes the factual AQUILINE project, then goes on about an ornithopter, an insectopter (sort of the mother of all MAVs), and ends describing an RPE (Remotely Piloted Elephant)—phrase is mine but you get the point: a full-size elephant-shaped vehicle to roam Viet-Nam's jungles. So once again she starts with something true, moves on into something believable, and then verges on the grotesque. Sounds like some guys had a lot of fun playing her around...

Stargazer2006 said:
...and ends describing an RPE (Remotely Piloted Elephant)—phrase is mine but you get the point: a full-size elephant-shaped vehicle to roam Viet-Nam's jungle§

The robotic elephant was apparently a real Darpa project (a large walking platform for carrying supplies through the jungle and over other difficult terrain, inspired by the use of real elephants in-theatre for same). It's mentioned in some articles on Big Dog and DARPA. Better known as the mechanical elephant. To quote the New Scientist:

The mechanical elephant: Frustrated by a lack of decent tarmac in the jungle, DARPA sought to create a "mechanical elephant" during the Vietnam war. Its vision of high-tech Hannibal's piloting them through the forest never came true. It is alleged that when the director heard of the plan he scrapped the "damn fool" project immediately in the hope no one would hear about it.

Interestingly, they may have gotten a bit farther along with the hardware than that quote would suggest. Some sources claim the project was actually terminated after the end of the Vietnam war, with at least one prototype built.

Grey Havoc said:
The robotic elephant was apparently a real Darpa project

The Army was certainly interested in walking machines in the 1960's, going so far as funding General Electric to build one such, the Quadroped.

Mosher.GE.walking.truck.jpg

SixhoeProposalFig_3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGCFLEYakM

I wouldn't be surprised if Darpa had leveraged some of the Quadroped's tech for the 'RPE', although I haven't read anything about direct GE involvement in the mechanical elephant project. Also, it would be pretty difficult to replicate some of the Quadroped's capabilities in a remotely piloted platform using tech available at the time (with regards as to the full feedback system, likely impossible, in the field at least). Under the mechanical elephant concept, it's operator would be local, usually a few meters away.

As I've already mentioned, there is uncertainty about how far the project got hardware wise. They did build small tech demonstrators and probably working scale models of the concept.

several companies have made walking forest harvesters. A walking truck wouldn't be completely useless.

here's a clip of a machine made by John Deere's Finnish subsidiary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y

Attachments

• harvester.jpg
    harvester.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 273

Attachments

• 16811405_a10e57b7b6_o.jpg
    16811405_a10e57b7b6_o.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 16811388_3d46013a2b_o.jpg
    16811388_3d46013a2b_o.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 16680695_e043676d22_o.jpg
    16680695_e043676d22_o.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
Some walkers (both real and fictional) over the years: http://www.oricomtech.com/misc/gallery2.htm

Via Slashdot, a short GE reports article on General Electric's 1960's walker projects. Note however, that they seem to have confused somewhat the Pedipulator and Quadroped prototypes.