Various aviation projects from South Africa

I'm trying and failing to get my head around the differences, serials, etc. of the Rooivalk XDM, the ADM and the EDM.

I think the XDM had the rounded bulged under-nose, extended tailfin, and sideways pointing exhausts, and that the EDM was the aircraft that wore the reg ZU-AHC, with a cropped tail, upward-pointing exhaust and the same original nose - or was that the ADM? If so, what was the EDM?

XDM?

FB_IMG_1581464529755.jpeg

ADM - or just XDM at a different time?

0987-01-1-4.jpeg

EDM

EDM? ADM? db_358_Rooivalk_ZU-AHC_01.jpeg
EZQxfumWAAAl8aN.jpeg

Production

Rooivalk-02-692x360.png

Here is a rather famous pic of the three prototypes:

17966427_10210387780104475_8977898465260456780_o.jpg

In the front is EDM (oddly given the tail number 672 which was later awarded to a production version with its number changing to 682. The dummy nose is the give away as to its identity here), in the middle is ADM (notice no exhaust deflection) and at the top/back is XDM in more or less her final configuration. She was later back dated to lose the cheek fairing but retain the upturned exhaust.

XDM 683 was used for the airframe development work. As can be seen the tail was a major area of focus. Trevor Ralstone, program chief test pilot, apparently gave a very good lecture on it.

FB_IMG_1581464529755.jpg
No exhaust deflection, large fin extention top and bottom
Rooivalk-01.jpg
Apache style deflection of exhaust gas, fin size decreased top and bottom.
22426281_10213913116883996_6754491568171988718_o.jpg
Final flight tested configuration. Up turned exhausts, cheek fairings and refined tail.

ADM ZU-AHC largely shared the same airframe as XDM but was equiped with a fully functional weapons and avionic suite. XDM had a very basic cockpit layout with no MFDs and was only gun and unguided rocket capable. The development of the tail area to give the required control was already completed when ADM flew. She seems to have only flown with no exhaust and the apache style exhaust configuration, not the final design of an upturned exhaust.

79385077_447222549543177_4490273039635709952_n.jpg
49014454076_dcd96230be_b.jpg

EDM 672/682 was the risk reduction step towards production. Based on the lessons from XDM and ADM the airframe was reduced in mass and redesigned based on what was tested on XDM and further refined. The sensor suite changed significantly to be largely based on proven French components rather than the more advanced, but unproven local developments. The aim was to eventually incorporate these in later upgrades.

211113527_4471098969589132_2180702029972980737_n.jpg
unnamed.jpg
Notice the dummy nose here and serial 672.
Screenshot002.jpg
EDM now fitted with a sensor nose same as what the Block 1A aircraft were delivered with.
F8QYyvz.jpg
Renumbered as 682 she continues to be used as the development airframe for Denel.

Note The reason for the odd tail number ranges of XDM and EDM (ADM needed a non-type registration as she was on Denel register to travel the world for marketing I presume) are that they were allocated serials after the production run (SAAF tail number 670 to 681) was completed.

The Rooivalk fleet remains an engineering project owing to the very small production run of 12 airframes. There has been plenty refinements to the airframes over the years and the current standard in service with the SAAF is Block 1F. Denel and the SAAF use different terminology for the helicopter upgrade standard thus there is speak of CSH 1, Rooivalk Mk1 etc.

IMG_4993-scaled.jpg
Production Rooivalk 677 in Block 1F standard. Credit to photographer.

Last edited:
Marshall Kestrel/Denel Rooivalk AH.2B
Interestingly, Rooivalk was never formally offered to the UK. They were asked to review Rooivalk as it was hoped that would spark more international customers, and it did receive favourable comments from the evauation team, but it was always only the Apache the RAF wanted. Defence minister at the time, Joe Modise, was told it is official and made a public statement on it only to be soon corrected afterwards. He was not happy to look like a fool!

As my post above shows, XDM and ADM flew in a wide variety of configurations so cannot really be put down to a single configuration - particularly XDM.

I hadn't realised there was such a difference structurally through its development.
Nice pictures showing these differences.

I think a while back on this thread, a poster stated he had video of the Atlas ACE/Ovid in flight.
I''ve looked around and realised there doesn't seem to be any available footage of the ACE in flight in the public domain, even though it flew at Farnborough 1994..
Anybody have any?

Attachments

• Dm_9By6WwAACWdR.jpeg
    Dm_9By6WwAACWdR.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 96
I think a while back on this thread, a poster stated he had video of the Atlas ACE/Ovid in flight.
I''ve looked around and realised there doesn't seem to be any available footage of the ACE in flight in the public domain, even though it flew at Farnborough 1994..
Anybody have any?

View: https://youtu.be/l8tUldR3dGs?si=ZOchm7YXnFBi412H

Skip to 41:35 for about the only footage of ACE flying I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Post number 345 dealt with the Dakota turboprop programme modified into a genuine Maritime Patrol Aircraft.

The SAAF forum stated that along with the additional avionics, sonobuoys were also to be fitted.
Here are some clearer pics after that programme was cancelled, and one of the test aircraft sold.
Note that FLIR, and ventral radar radome.
The aircraft is still flying, albeit without the ventral radome.

Attachments

• turbo-dak-dc-3-ii-scott-stephens.jpg
    turbo-dak-dc-3-ii-scott-stephens.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 57
  • turbo-dakota-dc-3-scott-stephens.jpg
    turbo-dakota-dc-3-scott-stephens.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 61
  • turbo-dakota-dc-3-iii-scott-stephens.jpg
    turbo-dakota-dc-3-iii-scott-stephens.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 49
  • turbo-dakota-dc-3-vii-scott-stephens (1).jpg
    turbo-dakota-dc-3-vii-scott-stephens (1).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 52
The Dakota turboprop program's transformation into a Maritime Patrol Aircraft must have been quite a sight to behold! It's a real testament to the innovation in the aviation projects coming out of South Africa. Pity that the program was canceled, but at least we get to appreciate the tech advancements through those clearer pics. The integration of FLIR and the removal of the ventral radome paint a picture of the constant evolution in aviation tech. Speaking of evolution and updates, for those who might be looking for new opportunities, it's worth noting that there's current recruitment ongoing in various sectors. Who knows, maybe there's a chance to get involved in exciting projects like the Dakota!

This is the first time I have noticed this.
SAAF Super Frelon with a nose radar.
This radar installation is not the same as the French one, being more compact.
It seems to me to be the same as the Atlas Oryx nose radome/radar.
The Oryx stems from 1986 onwards, with the Super Frelon retired in 1990, after the cuts to the defence budget...so this seems to be in that time frame.
It points to a programme to upgrade and retain the Super Frelon, before the defence cuts and end of the Cold War.
Edit: First photo from the Drakensberg mountain range, which is high....so I wonder where this puts those reports of the SF not being great at high "hot and high".
Perhaps this was compared to the Puma, which was a good hot and high performer.

Attachments

• 05978910612122c07b10abaf1a9fa6e6.jpg
    05978910612122c07b10abaf1a9fa6e6.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 45ba1d2f80298_large.jpg
    45ba1d2f80298_large.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Remember the Drakensberg is high, but not very hot. Also I would venture that the Frelon in the picture is not carrying much cargo mass inside. The Drakensberg are a popular helicopter handling training area.

I recall hearing of a variety of upgrade proposals for the Frelon including changing the engines to the same Turbomeca Makila's as in the Oryx. Would have been much happier up high then! Few of them seemed to carry the weather radar though (none of the preserved ones have it) so I wonder if it was a perhaps lone airframe being tested? Pity the serial number is obscured in the second picture. Most likely the early demise put rest the idea of spending much effort on them.

Over on the SAAF forum, a technician posted in an older thread that radar was fitted to the Super Frelon whilst he was attached to 30 Sqn, at "the same time as the radar was fitted to the Puma".
30 Sqn Super Frelons were transferred to 15 Sqn in 1986.
1986 was also when the Atlas Oryx helicopter was being manufactured before being officially declared operational at the beginning of 1987.
The only Puma I am aware of fitted with radar was a Puma (177) that served as a prototype for some of the Oryx systems.
The picture I posted above of the Super Frelon with engine covers and cargo ramp open is from 1988 and taken at Ysterplaat AFB by Dean Wingrin from the SAAF forum.

So this seems to indicate a timeframe of the same period for this Super Frelon upgrade...1985-1986.
This would also dovetail neatly with the rumoured Makila re-engining project timewise with the Oryx programme.

A Makila engined Super Frelon would have increased available power by an extra 1500hp or so.

I have strongly suspected before South Africa had an eye on the Israeli Super Frelons as part of an upgrade programme with increased numbers.
The Israelis were using theirs less in this time frame as a result of recieving CH-53's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom