US Buys 81 Soviet Era Combat Aircraft

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
it is safe to asume that the US has lots of intel on the su-30s by now right?

It’s to prevent the Russians from getting their hands on them, and perhaps the ever resourceful Ukrainians can build drones out of them.

Anyone know what agency bought these? I’m gunna see if I can FOIA any of the documentation that came with them.

Anyone know what agency bought these? I’m gunna see if I can FOIA any of the documentation that came with them.
What else could it be than NAFO? On a serious note, I think that these will end up being used as spare part donors and airfield decoys in Ukraine.

When aircraft in that sort of conditiopn are an essential contribution, you know the situatyion is on the dire side of SNAFU. Peace out.

The chain of reporting here is sketchy at best -- a Russian source claiming that the US bought the airframes through "offshore" companies, which was then rereported as fact by a Ukrainian source and picked up globally. Meanwhile the Kazakh government says the auction was only open to domestic firms (presumably for scrapping).

And if we look at the original announcement, back in October, the terms were that the aircraft would be scrapped on the property of the owner. The pricing makes it clear we are talking about scrap metal values here.

When aircraft in that sort of conditiopn are an essential contribution, you know the situatyion is on the dire side of SNAFU. Peace out.
Yall keep forgetting that SNAFU is "Situation Normal, All F*ed Up"
Then there's TARFU: "Things Are Really F*ed Up"
FUBAR: "F*ed Up Beyond All Recognition"
BOHICA: "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!"