Type 984, CDS and ADAC.

SeaslugMk2

'Curator' of the Seaslug website.
Reaction score
Website
www.littlewars.org.uk
I have been going through my notes on the RN's Type 984 radar and the Comprehensive Display System that took its information. The file I'm working on explains the workings of the two computers that 'drove' the tote displays from the radar returns; they are described as ADAC-D and ADAC-M but do not explain the meaning of those abbreviations. Does anyone on this forum have any idea what they mean? I now believe that ADAC may stand for Analogue to Digital Automatic Converter, but I'm not sure.
I look forward to hearing from you good people.

SRJ.

I have yet to find any details on ADAC-D, aside from it being described as a "catastrophic failure" which required manual track input to ADA. I have not heard of ADAC-M before, but I suspect it was either the manual input, or a system for other sensor input, like sea-surface radar and/or sonar.

I have yet to find any details on ADAC-D, aside from it being described as a "catastrophic failure" which required manual track input to ADA. I have not heard of ADAC-M before, but I suspect it was either the manual input, or a system for other sensor input, like sea-surface radar and/or sonar.
ADAC-D is described in a file in TNA which also mentions ADAC-M...but does not state what the abbreviation stands for. It is actually about the original experimental system, so pre-dates the problem of having to manually input the tracking data. I believe that this problem was resolved by the time that the second production version of CDS was installed.
I need to get back to TNA again!

SRJ.