• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
In the last week or so, there was a RFI related to adding a catapult to a ship in the near term (<5 years). The requested specs would not be enough to operate F-35C, so the logical assumption is that it is to support an AEW UAS. And based on timing, the platform is probably the QE2s.

If they are going to add cats and traps, would it not make sense to do the thing properly? After all, the uav's will be growth limited unless they go for a decent setup so building the ability to launch F-35's or bigger would be getting ahead of the game.

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It certainly would cut costs to mount AAW onto a Type 26 hull and propulsion setup. Frankly the Australian Hunter class will have an impressive radar fit. It's potentially possible to achieve the merger of ASW and AAW on such a ship.

While in theory a dedicated AAW could be achieved on the Type 31 as that's It's Danish roots anyway.

Which costs do you believe would be saved by retaining the T26 hull? Especially considering that hull design is very compromised and incapable of being stretched?

Systems, like propulsion, I agree should be reused unless there's been a significant improvement over time. Certainly technology insertion. Hull forms? No - no significant savings, insures making different contents harder to fit.
Costs...you have evidence to the contrary?
Incapable of being stretched?
Does it need stretching?

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Ron5

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
In the last week or so, there was a RFI related to adding a catapult to a ship in the near term (<5 years). The requested specs would not be enough to operate F-35C, so the logical assumption is that it is to support an AEW UAS. And based on timing, the platform is probably the QE2s.

This may give more clues ..

Ron5

Reaction score
It certainly would cut costs to mount AAW onto a Type 26 hull and propulsion setup. Frankly the Australian Hunter class will have an impressive radar fit. It's potentially possible to achieve the merger of ASW and AAW on such a ship.

While in theory a dedicated AAW could be achieved on the Type 31 as that's It's Danish roots anyway.

Which costs do you believe would be saved by retaining the T26 hull? Especially considering that hull design is very compromised and incapable of being stretched?

Systems, like propulsion, I agree should be reused unless there's been a significant improvement over time. Certainly technology insertion. Hull forms? No - no significant savings, insures making different contents harder to fit.
Costs...you have evidence to the contrary?
Incapable of being stretched?
Does it need stretching?

I don't understand your 1st question and I've already answered your 3rd. As for stretching, the T26 design is already at its L/D limit so it's incapable of stretch.

Ron5

Reaction score

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
What is your opinion on Gas Pebble reactors for naval applications, if I may ask?