Turkish THK Prototypes & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

that site,which I discovered it before,it spoke about Turkish aircraft and projects,
and the Yunus was tandem two seat low-wing jet basic trainer project.

Attachments

• Yunus.jpg
    Yunus.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 879
Last edited:
Hi all,

found these poor pictures from two turkish trainer aircraft, I never seen. If you have drawings, better quality pictures and specifications, please let me know.

Thanks, Maveric

Attachments

• HIBM Yunus.jpg
    HIBM Yunus.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 770
  • TAI Hürkus.jpg
    TAI Hürkus.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 765
The first Hurkus prototype began flight tests in August of this year. More information is available at the TAI website, https://www.tai.com.tr/en/project/hurkus

here some pictures from the Hürkus

Attachments

• large_hurkus-duzenlenmis1.jpg
    large_hurkus-duzenlenmis1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 601
  • large_hurkus-duzenlenmis3.jpg
    large_hurkus-duzenlenmis3.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 575
The current prototype flying is the A version for civilian registry, Hürkus-B is the Air Force training version,while the Hürkus-C is the armed version,here a concept of it

Attachments

• 919394_10201157728493456_1509141908_o.jpg
    919394_10201157728493456_1509141908_o.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 558
OK, the "Hürkus" is a real aircraft, can you tell more about the "Yunus"?

Thanks, Maveric

sry but this is the first time that i hear from the Yunus project,not much is known,but i will ask in other forums

finally found some pics from the Yunus project!!! and the link where i found it,sry it's in turkish!

http://kokpit.aero/yunus-jet-egitim-ucagi

Attachments

• yunus4.jpg
    yunus4.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 123
  • yunus3.jpg
    yunus3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 126
  • yunus2-300x200.jpg
    yunus2-300x200.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 90
Great find Stimpy75,

and here is a more info about THK-16;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10411.msg97901.html#msg97901

some more pics while surfing through the web,it's the THK-13

Attachments

• THK-13BR-Ucan-Guve.jpg
    THK-13BR-Ucan-Guve.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 108
  • THK-131-1366x768.jpg
    THK-131-1366x768.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 82
  • thk-13-modifiye.jpg
    thk-13-modifiye.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 75
some more,

Attachments

• xYXXka.jpg
    xYXXka.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Türk-uçan-kanat-Türk-hayalet-uça??-1.jpg
    Türk-uçan-kanat-Türk-hayalet-uça??-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 419
  • f80h9.jpg
    f80h9.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 425
  • DF3_KANAT.jpg
    DF3_KANAT.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 439
  • trkiye-de-ulam-tarihi-11-638.jpg
    trkiye-de-ulam-tarihi-11-638.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 464
  • 1026-03-2-3.jpg
    1026-03-2-3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 473
some more and the THK-11 light transport

Attachments

• 822163877306.jpg
    822163877306.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 74
  • THK-11.jpg
    THK-11.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 91
  • THK-11-1.jpg
    THK-11-1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 592
XP67_Moonbat said:
So that flying wing was going to be carried by balloon, released, and fly with rockets attached under the wings? Fascinating.

I think you are right my dear Moonbat,but so weird,I never heard about something like it
in Turkey.

hesham said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
So that flying wing was going to be carried by balloon, released, and fly with rockets attached under the wings? Fascinating.

I think you are right my dear Moonbat,but so weird,I never heard about something like it
in Turkey.

THK-13 was an actual glider, which flew in late 1940's AFAIK.

However, the concept drawing for a rocket powered glider (THK-13BR) to be launched from a balloon is from a Sci-Fi story: http://serdara.com/ankara-bilimkurgusu-thk-13br-ucan-guve/

No problems.

Speaking of trainer aircraft, Turkey had a project to locally manufacture a jet trainer / light attack aircraft in mid 1970's, shortly after the establishment of governmet owned aircraft company TUSAS.

Aermacchi MB339 and Hawker Siddeley Hawk were short listed (the other two contenders were Alpha Jet and F-5F). TUSAS selected MB339, while the Air Force insisted on hawk, due to much better performance, albeit much higher price and unsuitable payment conditions.

TUSAS began contract negotiations with Aermacchi. Program covered total of 60 jets, the first two delivered by Italians, the rest to be manufactured with increasing local content at each batch. Contract also included transfer of technology, training, rights to export to "Islamic countries" etc.

The project was cancelled literally at the very last minute by the intervention of the MoD and the Prime Minister (coalition government: the ministry controlling TUSAS and MoD were different parties). All Italian counterparts were ready at the signature ceremony but the event was cancelled by a phone call.

Alas, the successor of the Hawker Siddeley, BAE Systems is now partner of TAI, successor of TUSAS in the indigenous fighter jet development programme!

Ads%25C4%25B1z.jpg

http://www.siyahgribeyaz.com/2016/02/turkiyenin-son-anda-iptal-edilen-egitim.html

all those projects were by polish expatriatries after the German invasion . As they left for places like Canada it became even easier to close them down .

sry , i know it's not a trainer,but this is the first official rendering of the TFX

p.s. next wednesday i will be at the İDEF 2017 military fair here in İstanbul

Attachments

• TFX.JPG
    TFX.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 152
Interestingly, they've halted production of Hurkus-B trainer aircraft. And will introduce a variant with composite structures. Seems Turkish Airforce is okay with the halt in deliveries.

Two Hurjets are currently having metal cut and composite skins baked.

That combination makes perfect sense for the Luftwaffe's 1945 role when they needed hundreds of interceptors to loiter above possible routes for WALLIED bombers, then release from the balloon, shoot down a few WALLIED bombers, then land for refuel.

here some pictures from the Hürkus
Why does Hurkus have such a huge dorsal fin?
Yes, we know that the extra dorsal fin helps with spin recovery.
It looks like an after-thought.
The trend towards huge after-thought fins, strakes, etc. on trainers seems to have started with the Pilatus P-3, piston-pounding trainer introduced in 1953. Pilatus structural engineers argued for a short fuselage to save weight while stability and control engineers argued for a longer fuselage. Structural engineers won that debate, but shortly after it entered service, Swiss Air Force instructor pilots complained about poor spin recoveries. So Pilatus borrowed a Stanley Extractor ejection system and flew exhaustive spin tests. The solution was a huge extra ventral fin under the aft fuselage.
Later trainers: BAE Hawk, Beechcraft Musketeer (in Canadian Air Command service), Canadair Tutor, Cessna T-37 Tweety Bird, French Epsilon and all successive Pilatus trainers got a variety of extra fins, strakes, etc. Heck! Even deHavilland's 1930s vintage Tiger Moth needed extra horizontal strakes to meet RAF spin recovery standards.
Is it that difficult to design a fresh-sheet trainer for good spin characteristics?

Which tail configurations are best suited to good spin recovery?
I am thinking about long tail moment arms, generous control surfaces, horizontal tail NOT masking the rudder, squared aft fuselage, etc.

Last edited:
From Flightlobal 1999,

the TAI Agricultural project,but I don't know if it was actually built or not ?.

Attachments

• 40.png
    40.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
AS PER AN AA INTERVIEW WITH HÜRKUŞ TEST PILOT MURAT ÖZPALA

-Detail parts manufacturing has started for Hürkuş-2. First flight expected in a year.