Theoretical and Speculative Spruance class destroyer based projects.

Volkodav

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
There is a thread on the through deck design, another on the DDH and I have seen information elsewhere on highly modified AEGIS DDG design that lost out to the Arleigh Burke. There was the Kidd class, i.e. DDG Spruance as well but what I am curious about is whether there was any thought given to an austere Spruance DDG.

Basically following the principle of steel is cheap and air is free it would have made sense to have proposals for austere DDG, DDH and upgrade options, the DDG incorporating a Mk-13 GMLS for example.

Can't say enough good things about the "Project DX" thread on Shipbucket. I do think an upgrade Spruance with a Mk 71 fore and Mk 13 aft would be slick!

@totallyaverage detailed a second run of Kidd Class DDGs as an option for the DDGX/Y/DDG-51 program which I will quote.
Friedman's destroyers goes into it a little bit. DDG-51 was purchased for $1.1bn in FY86, or $2.612 in today's money. The four Kidds were purchased collectively for $1.35bn in FY79, $338mm per, or $1.182bn per hull today. So 220% the cost of DDG-993, which is not far different from the 235% premium paid for DDG-1000 over a Burke IIA. I recall reading some congressional hearings that actually discuss procuring additional Kidds, but I do not have that on hand and it would be a massive pain to find again.