The Navy's Area 51

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-navys-most-vital-and-secretive-submarine-base-is-in-1590794426/+mattnovak

In the 3rd or 4th picture there appears to be an SSN with an add looking sail, anyone know what this is? There have been pictures of heavily modified Virginias?

Orionblamblam said:
I'd be the two nickels I have left to rub together that that is simple a test shape, to check hydrodynamics and sonar return from a vaguely Alpha-like sail.

It's a scale model, though a working one. It was testing the new Virgina sail design. The Navy tests working scale models in the lake frequently.

Not exactly Area 51.

quellish said:
Orionblamblam said:
I'd be the two nickels I have left to rub together that that is simple a test shape, to check hydrodynamics and sonar return from a vaguely Alpha-like sail.

It's a scale model, though a working one. It was testing the new Virgina sail design.
Yep, the Advanced Composite Sail program has been kicking around awhile. As far as I know it's kept in a sort of low-level continuous test cycle until the Navy feels confident it can survive ice operations and won't break the budget.