The most unlikely thing which happened to you?

Trident

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Let's share some amazing coincidences that we've experienced, I'm sure there will be some thought-provoking and vastly amusing anecdotes!

As for me, mine happened about 15 years ago. I was just returning home from university, got out of the commuter train and walked up to my car, an old Mark III Ford Fiesta. I unlocked it, got behind the wheel and immediately it became obvious that something wasn't quite right. There was an unfamiliar odour, so I glanced round and my eyes alighted on one of those air freshener trees dangling from the interior mirror that I had NOT hung there! I hurriedly looked behind me at the rear bench and there was a ton of stuff strewn about which unequivocally did not belong to me either :oops:

It was pretty obvious by now that this was quite simply somebody else's car, but it seemed so implausible that the fact took a few moments to register properly. When it did, the temptation was strong to try whether the engine would actually start, but I thought better of it. Across the street was a residential area, and for all I knew the real owner was watching from the living room window, aghast, a total stranger preparing to drive away in his/her car! Hurriedly I got back out, locked the door and, casting surreptitious looks over my shoulder, went in search of my actual car.

Now, I was later told that in cheap cars of that vintage (early 1990s), not having totally unique keys for every example was still relatively commonplace, but the probability of randomly encountering a "twin" in the field must nevertheless have been tiny. It doesn't stop there though, because for me to even consider sticking my key into its lock, a whole laundry list of other puzzle pieces had to fall into place as well:

1) Time - the car had to be where it was within a relatively narrow window of time, or I would simply have missed it.

2) Place - not only did it have to be parked in the general vicinity of my own car, as little as 20m further down the line and I would likewise never have noticed. OTOH, too close and I would have seen both and looked carefully to make sure I got into the right one.

3) Colour - all this happened in broad daylight, so if it had been painted in even a slightly different tone, or had a bumper sticker applied, it would have told me something was wrong before attempting to open the door.

4) Model - the car further had to be the 3-door body version, and a facelift variant with streamlined exterior mirrors. Anything else, and again I would have been alerted to the fact that it was not mine.

5) Trim - had the upholstery on the seats been a different pattern to the one in my Fiesta, I might also have noticed that just before trying to get in.

The probability of all these coincidences occurring simultaneously to create the setup for my mistake must be vanishingly small!

Last edited:
The *exact* same thing happened to me in the late seventies with two yellow Simca 1100s parked on the same side of the street where I lived.

Another high improbability event occurred when I had to cancel an appointment to discuss a small project with a person I had never met before because of an unforeseen business trip. During the flight, out of boredom, I glanced at the laptop of the gentleman next to me (I know, bad etiquette) and noticed that he was composing an email to the very person I was supposed to meet. After apologizing for intruding, I asked my seat neighbor whether he personally knew the recipient, and he just looked at me and said "Oh yeah, he sits right across the aisle." We ended up switching seats and having our discussion on board.

Last edited:
The colour choice of the day was not that large compared to today and you are talking about a very popular brand/car/ There was a bloke who went to the supermarket that discovered, on getting home, that he had suddenly acquired a child seat and paraphernalia. Almost arrested. Ford Sierra which was another very popular motor.

Last edited:
By random chance, I’ve twice bumped into people that know me on the other side of the planet;- once in Australia at an airport and once in the US at a restaurant. With 6 billion people in the world how does that happen? .... I wouldn’t say I know or are known by any more people than is the average.

The colour choice of the day was not that large compared to today and you are talking about a very popular brand/car/ There was a bloke who went to the supermarket that discovered, on getting home, that he had suddenly acquired a child seat and paraphernalia. Almost arrested. For Sierra which was another very popular motor.

So chances are the engine would have started? Interesting!

Never ever cheated my wife in 15 years and 1 kid, because she is lovely with a big sweet heart and I'm really not wired for being that kind of ruthless bastard. It would be like crushing kitties.

Now, the one and only women I met in those 15 years, that had a similar, heart big enough, to drive me crazy - I met her during the exact 9 months when the kid was to come ! Nothing happened and no regret about it, really. Would have broken too many lives. Well it nearly broke mine, took two years to recover my broken mind.

That, plus the extremes circumstances we met, the bizarre friendship and karma we had... very, very weird.

She is born in the same year as my wife, less than 2 months apart. 18 september to november 14. Another bizarre fact.

For example I was kind of granted the power of... killing her with uncontrolable laughter. I have a knack for punchlines and jokes, and she nearly suffocated laughing, many times. It was like pressing a button. Irresistible.

And I'm still puzzled by the coincidence in dates. 15 years is 180 months. A pregnancy is 9 months, 1/20 of that. And she come right in that small but all peculiar span of time !

Last edited: