Testing Times: British Military Test Aircraft 1945-2010?

gatoraptor

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This book was announced in The Aviation Workshop's "On Target Special" series and is listed on several Amazon websites as having been published in July 2005, but with a status of "Currently Unavailable".

I did a little searching and found the attached cover illustration, which was apparently from an intended 2011 release with the book having been updated accordingly.

It clearly appears that the book was never published at either time. The Aviation Workshop eventually passed on their book-publishing efforts to Guideline Publications (publishers of the Warpaint series first started by Alan Hall), who allowed the On Target series to cease, in favor of the similar Airfile series, which they also inherited from TAW.

It would appear that this would be an ideal topic for the Airfile series, which I will suggest to Guideline. In the meantime, does anyone have any further knowledge of this intended book?

Attachments

• Testing Times.jpg
    Testing Times.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 100
I also found titles, but no information, on a couple of other titles which The Aviation Workshop also intended to publish in 2005 but evidently never did. These are listed on Amazon as hardcovers, so evidently they were not to be part of any existing series:

Airliners in Disguise, by Mark Attrill (a very intriguing title!)

Storm Warning: Coalition Air Power in the Gulf War 1990-91, by Gary Madgwick

Again, does anyone know anything about these prospective publications?

https://malcolmvlowe.wordpress.com/publications/

Testing Times: British Test Aircraft 1945 to Present for publication 2017.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
https://malcolmvlowe.wordpress.com/publications/

Testing Times: British Test Aircraft 1945 to Present for publication 2017.

Thanks! In doing more investigation, I just came across that myself. I bet it'll be an Airfile, but we'll see.....

In actual fact, a shortened version of what appears to be this very same book has FINALLY been published by Pen & Sword as part of their FlightCraft series, though as noted by the publisher, it does not conform to the usual FlightCraft format. In fact, the format is identical to the On Target and Airfile format and is obviously descended from those abortive efforts.

The book restricts itself to the 1945-1975 period - no indication as to whether a sequel will continue the coverage - and is a 72-page softcover. It is divided into four chapters by decade and is the expected mix of text, photos and color drawings, both side views and four views as needed; both photos and drawings have extended captions, and the drawings all list references, a nice touch. British Test Aircraft.jpg