ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

http://agent44.com/blog2/?p=30

Attachments

• stealth_gripen.jpg
    stealth_gripen.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 495
yeah, sexy looking...but putting a vertical tail like that on a stealthy aircraft is "like trying to hide an elephant in a strawberry field by painting its toenails red"! ;D

Nice one Hesham. I always enjoy your contributions, especially the unusual configurations. Don't listener to the killjoys.

Quiet a few supposed stealth proposals have had vertical stabilisers, DASA Mako for one (I know it was only a trainer), shouldn't be a problem if the fin is radar transparent.

While we're on the subject, how can a stealth radome be 'stealthy' yet be transparent to it's own radar? And what effect does high speed frictional heating have on that transparency?

Cheers, Woody

Attachments

• Mako 3 veiw.jpg
    Mako 3 veiw.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 728
Does the radar not have a wide range of transmission and reception frequencies? and does the radome not have to be transparent to all of these?

If this is beyond the scope of this thread can you (or anyone else) direct me to where I might find the answer? Also to where can I find information on temperature verses radar transparency.

Appreciated, Woody

source: http://gripennewsthread.blogspot.ru/2011_07_01_archive.html

Attachments

• Stealth Gripen.jpg
    Stealth Gripen.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 359
http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/docservicepdf_pct/id00000000055887.pdf?download

AeroFranz said:
yeah, sexy looking...but putting a vertical tail like that on a stealthy aircraft is "like trying to hide an elephant in a strawberry field by painting its toenails red"! ;D

I could not agree more !

Has anyone here read the full story in the link below?

Sweden's crossroads - what comes after Gripen?

Sweden could have been part of a collaboration with Great Britain and Italy to develop sixth-generation combat aircraft. Has Sweden missed the chance - or did an unexpected opportunity appear instead?

John Falkirk
Published 2024-05-12

TOKYO - In a sleepy suburb west of Tokyo, next to an air base, a feverish activity is going on. Inside a security room at the company IHI's headquarters, employees are working on developing a new jet engine.

But it will not be in any mass-produced passenger jet - but a completely new fighter plane, which has put one of the country's most fundamental principles on hold. Together with Great Britain and Italy, Japan will develop a sixth-generation combat aircraft. (pay to read the rest of the story)

Last edited:
And if the enemy is using the same frequencies?
The radar bulkhead is coated in RAM and angled, as is the radar antenna. It basically keeps the antenna from reflecting back at the enemy radar, and instead reflecting it in another direction. Old school, F117 style.

The B-1 uses that technique.

Another Swedish newspaper story.

Some interesting bits:

" Countries like the USA and Japan want planes with a long range, to be able to act at a long distance across world oceans. ...

Sweden is in a different situation. We have an air force that is traditionally heavily defense-oriented and which also has an operational area with short distances. "

(snip)

" An alternative could be to buy, like Denmark and Norway, the American F-35 ...

Nor does it prevent Saab from going ahead with a new plane, says Per Olsson.

"The export possibilities depend entirely on what Saab chooses. It could be that they niche themselves and choose something very cheap, for which there may be a market, outside the big countries", thinks the researcher. "

"The export possibilities depend entirely on what Saab chooses. It could be that they niche themselves and choose something very cheap, for which there may be a market, outside the big countries", thinks the researcher. "
:D :D :D :D :D

"very cheap"? and stealthy? LOL, no.

If you don't need a stealthy airframe, you use a LIFT like the FA50 et sim.

A Swedish KF21 block 3 (the version with the internal bay) is what I'm expecting Saab to make. Or I guess an "SF21" since it's a Swedish Fighter for the 21st century.

It's going to end up fairly close in terms of bay capacity to an F35. 2x AMRAAMs and 2x 2000lb bombs. Ideally something that would let you do some interesting mixes of loads, so more likely to be one larger bay than the two separate bays on the F35, or the 3 bays of the F22. Even the KF21 is a 56klb MTOW aircraft (25.6tonnes), so I'd be shocked if the SF21 was much-if-any lighter.

They might be able to make it STOL for a fighter like the Viggen was. Will very likely have 2 engines, not 1, because of how heavy the plane is. And I'm expecting EJs or M88s, not a US engine.

:D :D :D :D :D

"very cheap"? and stealthy? LOL, no.

If you don't need a stealthy airframe, you use a LIFT like the FA50 et sim.

A Swedish KF21 block 3 (the version with the internal bay) is what I'm expecting Saab to make. Or I guess an "SF21" since it's a Swedish Fighter for the 21st century.

It's going to end up fairly close in terms of bay capacity to an F35. 2x AMRAAMs and 2x 2000lb bombs. Ideally something that would let you do some interesting mixes of loads, so more likely to be one larger bay than the two separate bays on the F35, or the 3 bays of the F22. Even the KF21 is a 56klb MTOW aircraft (25.6tonnes), so I'd be shocked if the SF21 was much-if-any lighter.

They might be able to make it STOL for a fighter like the Viggen was. Will very likely have 2 engines, not 1, because of how heavy the plane is. And I'm expecting EJs or M88s, not a US engine.

Here is a discussion by the Swedes, and some of them favor unmanned aircraft that can work with (any) manned fighters.