Standard Missile Discussion

Forest Green

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

View: https://x.com/northropgrumman/status/1773802312760279420?s=20

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1773816896477077986?s=20

Is it only the SM3 that has been modified to a 21" rocket diameter? Everything else still using the 13.5" core diameter?

I thought there was also a 21in SM-6 planned as a hypersonic interceptor? Seems a bit short-sighted that CPS isn't destined for ASuW either.

I don't recall any mention of that in the official program of record.

There's been a new test of the SM-6 Block-1A:

US Military's 'Groundbreaking' New Missile Reaches Milestone

Published Apr 03, 2024 at 3:04 PM EDT Updated Apr 03, 2024 at 7:54 PM EDT

The U.S. Navy conducted a successful test of a cutting-edge missile system last week, intercepting a ballistic missile target over the ocean in "a groundbreaking advancement for naval defense," according to the military news outlet Special Operations Forces Report (SOFREP).

SOFREP on Wednesday reported that the SM-6 missile, manufactured by the U.S. defense contractor Raytheon, achieved a "significant milestone" on March 29 when it "successfully intercepted a medium-range ballistic missile target during a sea trial."

I haven't been able to find any YouTube videos concerning this test but according to the article it was a test of the 21" diameter SM-6.

Newsweek is not an authoritative source these days, 1B is the expanded-diameter SM-6, this was a rest of Block IA (Dual II) which shares the same dimensions as Block I.

There's been a new test of the SM-6 Block-1A:

I haven't been able to find any YouTube videos concerning this test but according to the article it was a test of the 21" diameter SM-6.

This is the same March 29 test mentioned in Post #1.

Newsweek is not an authoritative source these days, 1B is the expanded-diameter SM-6, this was a rest of Block IA (Dual II) which shares the same dimensions as Block I.

Neither is SOFREP (surprise!) They managed to state that this was a Block 1A and Block 1B test in the same article, despite linking to the actual RTX press release specifically saying Block 1A.

1B is the expanded-diameter SM-6, this was a rest of Block IA (Dual II) which shares the same dimensions as Block I.

I thought there was something a bit odd about that in the article.

This is the same March 29 test mentioned in Post #1.

I missed that post.

They managed to state that this was a Block 1A and Block 1B test in the same article, despite linking to the actual RTX press release specifically saying Block 1A.

It looks like the editor didn't do a good job of proof-reading the article before it was published.

What does this even mean?

Basically, they've demonstrated that they can run the AEGIS combat system software on generic computing hardware rather than on dedicated systems. (Think of it like emulation for video games, running old games on new, much more sophisticated, hardware). Which means that in the future, they'll be able to run the same software on a variety of different and much more compact computing systemsmeaning they only have to worry about maintaining a single software standard. They will also be able to update it on the fly, ensuring that ships always have the latest version of the system on board.

More detailed explanation here:

Last edited:
Prob

Probably means no human intervention needed to intercept an air target, everything is fully automatic:)

AEGIS has been doing that for a long time.

Auto-Special mode has been available in AEGIS basically from the outset. In that mode, the only human intervention is to enable or disable launch authority. Put the AEGIS system in Auto-Special and it will engage everything it thinks is an air threat until it runs out of targets, it runs out of ammunition, or you tell it to stop.

Last edited: