SPEAR-EW

Ronny

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
MBDA working on new SPEAR-EW electronic warfare weapon
"MBDA has been awarded a contract to demonstrate SPEAR-EW, a new electronic warfare version of the SPEAR weapon system family on order for the Royal Air Force (RAF).

SPEAR-EW is being developed by MBDA in partnership with Leonardo to complete a wide range of Suppression of Enemy Air Defence (SEAD) missions, under a Technical Demonstration Programme (TDP) contract awarded by Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S). SPEAR-EW will integrate a cutting-edge miniaturised EW payload from Leonardo, which will act as a stand-in jammer to greatly increase the survivability of RAF aircraft and suppress enemy air defences, acting as a significant force multiplier.

Defence Minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan said: “These state-of-the-art electronic jammers will confuse our adversaries and keep our pilots safer than ever in the air. Paired with the devastating power of precision Brimstone and Meteor missiles, our world-class F-35 and Typhoon jets will continue to rule the skies in the years to come.”

Mike Mew, MBDA UK Director of Sales and Business Development, said: “SPEAR-EW is a revolutionary new capability that, alongside the existing SPEAR3 weapon, marks a fundamental change in the ability of friendly air forces to conduct their missions despite the presence of enemy air defences. Our vision for SPEAR is to create a swarm of networked weapons able to saturate and neutralise the most sophisticated air defences. Adding SPEAR-EW to the family alongside our existing SPEAR strike missile demonstrates the principle of introducing complementary variants to the SPEAR family that will add significant capability and force multiplication without the need to repeat the platform integration. We have an exciting roadmap of variants, spirals and technology insertions in the pipeline to further enhance the family as we move forward.”

The core of SPEAR-EW’s payload is Leonardo’s advanced, miniaturised Digital Radio Frequency Memory (DRFM) technology, which offers the most advanced and future-proof electronic jamming and deception available on the market today.

The new SPEAR-EW will complement the SPEAR network enabled miniature cruise missile, which is designed to precisely engage long range, mobile, fleeting and re-locatable targets in all weathers, day or night, in the presence of countermeasures, obscurants and camouflage, while ensuring a safe stand-off range between the aircraft and enemy air defences. Powered by a turbojet engine the SPEAR missile offers over double the range, and a far more flexible operating envelope, when compared to a conventional glide weapon. SPEAR-EW utilises this long endurance through its capacity to be launched at enhanced stand-off ranges and loiter while carrying out its jamming mission.

The compact size of the SPEAR family allows four weapons to be carried internally in each of the two internal weapons bay of the F-35, or three per station on the Eurofighter Typhoon. SPEAR-EW will keep the same form and fit as the baseline SPEAR to enable a single integration pathway and launcher solution.

SPEAR family complements MBDA’s wider portfolio of strike weapons, filling the gap between the large and very-long range Storm Shadow deep strike missile and the highly accurate Brimstone close-air-support missile..
1.PNG
2.PNG
spear-ew-2.png

Mini DRFM jammer with 3 times the range of normal SPEAR: 140*3 =420 km

One thing I've just noticed.....

The contract for Spear-EW from DE&S was only for 1 year.....and that year has expired....so what is its current status? Its still a thing clearly as its being briefed around the world (the South Korean briefing and Finland for the HX programme).

Hopefully we'll see another contract shortly to continue the development and other Spear variant (SpearGlide). But until then presumably its a company funded effort.

Is Spear EW currently available to foreign customers or is it still under development?

Is Spear EW currently available to foreign customers or is it still under development?
All very quiet...

The initial work was a demonstration contract for the Spear-EW. No report on it has ever been released or any real detail. Which isn't really surprising on an EW system. But....the component parts of it are in the main developed, the Britecloud decoy has been tested and adopted into service, the EW payload is a development of this so should be comparatively low risk, as should the remainder of the system (the Spear missile body itself).

If it goes into production it will be available for restricted foreign customers. Germany and Sweden seem to be interested for the EK variant of Typhoon and Saab for the Gripen E. When, or indeed if, that interest translates into sales is another thing...I'd expect there to be a sale to the likes of Saudi Arabia as well...the really interesting thing is if it picks up any sales to F-35 customers....

But...it won't arrive before the main Spear munition which is due in service on Typhoon in 2 years. After that we should see if EW is going further (and SpearGlide and the MRUSW concept).

Last edited:
It will be a shame if all SPEAR-EW work is canceled without any visible hardware as a result, but I have not seen anything about the SPEAR-EW recently so I fear the worst. :(

As it stands as far as I know, UK commenced a 24 month rapid prototyping phase in November 2022, meanwhile a 12 month joint concept study with Sweden began in September 2022 to see whether the Arexis EA could be carried by a SPEAR-EW. May ultimately result in one missile with a choice of two electronic warfare payloads. I understand the Germans have recently decided to go with the Swedish Arexis over Airbus electronic warfare tech on their Eurofighter EK. Pieces may be coming together to form a picture.

Last edited:
As it stands as far as I know, UK commenced a 24 month rapid prototyping phase in November 2022, meanwhile a 12 month joint concept study with Sweden began in September 2022 to see whether the Arexis EA could be carried by a SPEAR-EW. May ultimately result in one missile with a choice of two electronic warfare payloads. I understand the Germans have recently decided to go with the Swedish Arexis over Airbus electronic warfare tech on their Eurofighter EK. Pieces may be coming together to form a picture.

The original LADM for the HX Requirement was dependent on the Finnish order for development work and funds. I suspect the Arexis Decoy is just the standard Spear-EW with Leonardo Britecloud derived payload. I can't imagine Saab going to the expense of developing a new payload for a very unclear market, particularly as potential customers will more likely buy into the Spear family if going down that route.. They also have a long history of working with Leonardo kit. Britecloud was also originally integrated on Gripen and has been part of that offering. I can't imagine that Leonardo would be too pleased with MBDA allowing Saab to use the Spear missile body to allow Saab to create a competitor to Spear-EW, particularly given UK investment in it and their close partnership on GCAP.

I think the Saab Arexis decoy is a bit of Saab marketing subterfuge....lift the hood up and its 100% Spear-EW...

Has the US shown any interest? This would roughly fill the niche of MALD-J, but presumably internal carriage on F-35 would have advantages.

View: https://twitter.com/MBDAGroup/status/1701624264984551550

Press Release Text

MBDA’s SPEAR-EW moves to the next stage

12/09/2023

MBDA has received additional funding from the UK Ministry of Defence to accelerate the development of the SPEAR-EW stand-in jammer.

SPEAR-EW is a novel electronic warfare effector designed to confuse and suppress enemy air defence, protecting friendly forces and acting as a significant force multiplier.

The additional Rapid Design Phase funding will accelerate SPEAR-EW’s development, maturing all its key sub-systems, and perform mission and planning evaluation.

Chris Allam, Managing Director of MBDA UK, said: “SPEAR-EW will be a true game-changer for the suppression and defeat of enemy air defences. As we have seen lately, air defence networks are exceptionally hard to operate against with today’s toolkit: SPEAR-EW is the key that will enable allied air forces to unlock this challenge and gain air superiority”.

Dean Pask, Spear Senior Responsible Owner at the MOD, commented on the commitment: “By embracing collaborative partnering, agile methods, and strategic technology, we are steadfastly dedicated to ensuring that our front line commands receive critical capabilities in the most effective and efficient manner possible”.

The weapon’s electronic warfare payload is being developed by Leonardo and utilises the company’s Digital Radio Frequency Memory (DRFM) technology. This technology is mature, was proven effective in trials and will deliver the advanced sensing and electronic attack capabilities of SPEAR-EW. Operators will be able to use SPEAR-EW to jam enemy radar systems as well as deliver more subtle electronic warfare effects such as creating decoy targets to draw the attention of threat systems away from crewed aircraft or effectors.

Iain Bancroft, SVP Electronic Warfare at Leonardo UK, said: “SPEAR-EW will incorporate a world-class electronic warfare payload, designed and manufactured here in Luton, UK. Based on our experience providing on-board jamming capabilities for the Eurofighter Typhoon and, more recently, off-board jamming in the form of our BriteCloud expendable active decoy, our technology can reliably beat current threats while remaining adaptable for the threats of the future”.

SPEAR-EW utilises the same airframe as MBDA’s SPEAR miniature cruise missile being manufactured for the Royal Air Force. This commonality has reduced the development costs for SPEAR-EW and is also enabling a joint integration/launcher solution, reducing logistics burden and offering a high load-out potential.

Has the US shown any interest? This would roughly fill the niche of MALD-J, but presumably internal carriage on F-35 would have advantages.

None that I'm aware of. The US has MALD-J and copious EW resources already however. As far as I'm aware the US has shown little interest in recent years of integrating MALD on F-35 either.

Currently the conventional Spear 3 is said to have a range of 140km while the EW variant replaces the nose warhead with the EW payload as well as adding wingtip pods to the foldout wings which leaves room to double the length of the fuel tank giving it better than double the range, so around 300km ish.

Currently the conventional Spear 3 is said to have a range of 140km while the EW variant replaces the nose warhead with the EW payload as well as adding wingtip pods to the foldout wings which leaves room to double the length of the fuel tank giving it better than double the range, so around 300km ish.

I don't understand what you mean about wingtip pods -- SPEAR EW has the same outer mold line as a normal SPEAR.

Also, the very first post in this thread quotes MBDA saying it has three times the range of a normal SPEAR.

Last edited:
Baseline SPEAR's range has also grown during the last four years from 100km+ to 140km+.

According to representative of MBDA at DSEI 2023, Spear-EW carries its payload both in the nose of the missile (where the standard Spear would have the warhead) and in the folding wings. This is done to allow more frequencies to be jammed.

The fuel tanks of the missile are longer compared to Spear, which at least doubles the combat range, an important factor for the SEAD/DEAD combat application, where Spear-EW can be used in combination with Spear missiles.

Ah, I see. I suspect that means embedding antennas in the wings so the system can handle lower frequencies.
Given that the length of SPEAR is 1.8 meters, each wing is around 70% missile length or around 1.2 meters in length. Kinda make me wonder what is the lowest frequency that it can transmit
@stealthflanker : any educated guess?
This missile seem like the best counter against double digit SAM.

After a bit of digging, it seem like I found the lower limit for receiving/jamming frequency of SPEAR-EW.
The developer of DRFM jammer inside SPEAR-EW is Leonardo who also made the Brite cloud expandable jammer. Brite cloud came in 2 versions:
BC55: with diameter of 55 mm (cylinder shape)
BC218: which is 2 inches (5 cm) wide , 1 inch tall and 8 inches in length (cuboid shape)
Both version are said to operate from H band (wavelength 3.75-5 cm) to J band (wavelength 1.5- 3 cm)
BEBE1198-41DA-4596-B914-56C90B6FA756.jpeg

As illustrated in material from Leonardo, the antenna is the red part at the front. So we can conclude that jamming antenna manufactured by Leonardo is at around 100-130% the wavelength of the lowest frequency that they can receive/transmit.
With the wing-antenna length of 1.2 meter in length, the longest wavelength that Spear-EW can transmit/receive is 0.92-1.2 meters long. Which equal to lowest frequency of 249-325 MHz. To sum up, this decoy can jam pretty much all radar except for HF radar
F1020C04-A8C8-4341-9FCB-E34E1725DA89.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom