Space farming

bigvlada

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
My earliest insights about space farming were from a children's sf book Zvezda Kec/KEZ Star/Звезда КЭЦ by Alexander Belyayev with giant tomatoes in space :). Zubrin's The Case for Mars has some nice thoughts on it too but I would like to read more.
I am aware of the experiments that were conducted on Earth in Biosphere 2, soviet BIOS programs, plants and animals that wen into space etc...
Were there any studies on how the farming would look like on Moon , Mars or something like Dyson spheres? What fruit and vegetables would be best candidates for something like that? Algae? Shrimps? Powdered nutrients for 3d printed food?
I see similar trend on Earth, closed ecosystems meant to provide organic food for local urban areas, something like this:
http://inhabitat.com/urbanana-is-an-urban-renovation-concept-that-would-bring-banana-farming-to-paris/

There may be an Earth analog in developing Aero-ponics. I've been reading up on this and trying to think about turning one of my apartment walls into a vertical vegetable garden of sorts.

The `70s sci-fi movie 'Silent Running' has space botany as its premise..

There must be something on it in all the work Gerald O'Neill and his team did on space colonies in the 70s.

Greenhouses for Mars
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/25feb_greenhouses/

Attachments

• habitat.jpg
    habitat.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 54
I could expect the first towards "space farming" to be maybe growing of pharmacological plants in space laboritries,
if they can be brought to produce much more active agents in zero gravity, than on earth. Such "space farms" could be just
another module on the ISS.

Frank Morton was sitting with a friend in New York, about to fly home to Oregon after attending an event for plant breeders and chefs. "Hey, look at this," his friend said. "They’ve grown lettuce on the space station." She was looking at her phone, he recalls. He asked, what kind? It didn’t say exactly. They both thought that was an interesting novelty.

It wasn’t until Morton saw a photo of the lettuce in question in a magazine sometime later that it hit him: He knew just what that lettuce was. It was his own invention, a zany burgundy plant he’d dubbed Outredgeous. Its seeds could be purchased from a major seed catalog by backyard gardeners and Nasa researchers alike, and indeed, when Morton got in touch with the research team behind the experiment, that was exactly what they’d done.

Orbiting the Earth about a dozen years after Morton first released it, Outredgeous romaine had made history.

Last edited: