Soviet/Russian IFF

From Janes Avionics 1999

CP3-1P (facility 6231P)
The airborne radar interrogator CP3-1P (facility 6231P) of the 60P IFF system is designed for identification of friendly air, land and sea platforms. The 6231P facility operates on a co-operative question and answer principle and provides the following capabilities:

general identification `friend or foe' of air, overwater and ground vehicles equipped with transponders and detected by radar
selective identification of air, overwater and ground vehicles on the principle `where are you?'
position location of ground vehicles.
The 6231P facility comprises 8 LRUs: unit 551 - receiver-transmitter; unit 542 - reply evaluation unit; unit 541 - video processor; unit 591 - power supply unit; unit 581-1 - controls; unit 2410 - SLS modulator; unit 526 - RF switch; unit 531-5 - auxiliary controls unit.

Specifications
Maximum range of positive identification: not less than detection range of associated radars
Angular resolution: determined by the radiation pattern of the CP3-1P interrogator antenna (autonomous or built into the radar antenna)
Transmitter power output: 1.5 to 3.5 kW peak
Receiving/decoding sensitivity: –76 dBm
Total weight: not less than 26.3 kg
Total volume: not greater than 23.3 dm3
Power consumption: 115 V AC (±5%), 380-1,050 Hz, <2.1A; +27 V DC ±10%, <0.7A; +10 V DC, <0.7A; –10 V DC, <0.2A

Operational status
Designed for both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.

Attachments

• SRZ-1P.jpg
    SRZ-1P.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 53
  • 6201R.jpg
    6201R.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 6231R.jpg
    6231R.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 41
There are many references around to Russian IFF systems (e.g. Parol, Kremnij, SRO, etc.). There are also some references to techniques of operation (e.g. multi frequency, frequency-modulated pulses, etc). But there appears to be no complete explanation of how the Russian IFF system works - unlike Western IFF, which is fully explained in STANAG 4193. Does anyone have any further knowledge on this subject? Even snippets of information here and there would be interesting in trying to put an overall IFF system description together!

My interest is mainly from the point of view of replacing Russian IFF with compatible Western IFF. In this respect, the following are important for the interrogator:
* the electrical interface across the sliprings/rotary joints
* the control signals from the operator and/or primary radar
* the outputs from the interrogator to the display system and/or primary radar

Replacement of Russian transponders with Western Transponders is much more straightforward.

This kind of information should not be overly sensitive?

suidooster said:
My interest is mainly from the point of view of replacing Russian IFF with compatible Western IFF. In this respect, the following are important for the interrogator:
* the electrical interface across the sliprings/rotary joints
* the control signals from the operator and/or primary radar
* the outputs from the interrogator to the display system and/or primary radar

Replacement of Russian transponders with Western Transponders is much more straightforward.

This kind of information should not be overly sensitive?
any further info regarding installation of western IFF would be strongly dependent on both the western IFF and russian radar type. What russian radar and western IFF are you talking about???

This would be the whole range of Russian radars, from ground-based early warning through to tracking and fire control radars, naval and airborne radars. The Western IFF would be standard as per STANAG 4193.

I do have information about installing STANAG 4193 IFF interrogator to russian airborne radar, but I doubt it will be any use to you as you do not know the russian system in detail.

All information is useful. We are planning to talk with the Russian OEMs, but any foreknowledge would be of assistance I'm sure!

Hi,,
I noticed a new aerials -Hokey type- in the new flanker Su-35BM . The aerials are located just under forward section of the fighter beneath the cockpit , and the other one just under tail "spike"

Those two locations used to regular locations for russian IFF antenna "Parol". Are those antennas represent a new IFF system in russian air force and air defense ?

Attachments

• 10nasalcloseupom9.jpg
    10nasalcloseupom9.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 143
  • 03beginningoftransportabg6.jpg
    03beginningoftransportabg6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 142
For your general edification, here is a very interesting technical manual on the SRO-2/SRZO-2 IFF system in Russian. Its in djvu format, so you might need Windjview or similar to open it.

Holly Cow...

Then we will see a Parol manual and the whole hell will breaks!

By the way, in AiK 12/2002 issue, they mention that different SA-2 and SA-3 SAM variants received Parol IFF equipments since late 70s.

I will try to dig the exact variants related to SAM systems...if anybody is interested :D

overscan said:
For your general edification, here is a very interesting technical manual on the SRO-2/SRZO-2 IFF system in Russian. Its in djvu format, so you might need Windjview or similar to open it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5524216a713f2aad2fb2ca15d7ea42d9cafd8b52ef25b0865621d66e282a0ee8

Good morning, Do you still have the manual originally available at the above link? The link is now broken...

Thanks

A detailed description in English of SRO-2 Khrom taken from examination of a MiG-17 which landed in the Hoefstadt area on 26 April 1967.

Attachments

• CIA-RDP78-03066R000400190001-6.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
There are many references around to Russian IFF systems (e.g. Parol, Kremnij, SRO, etc.). There are also some references to techniques of operation (e.g. multi frequency, frequency-modulated pulses, etc). But there appears to be no complete explanation of how the Russian IFF system works - unlike Western IFF, which is fully explained in STANAG 4193. Does anyone have any further knowledge on this subject? Even snippets of information here and there would be interesting in trying to put an overall IFF system description together!
it is possible to get STANAG 4193 Document . i want this document .