Some interesting insights about modern Formula 1 engines

Pretty sure there was some years ago but with the growth of bio fuels, not sure what the reason would be.

Thought I'm in F1technical for a second, though I wouldn't complain being introduced to a nice presentation!

Pretty sure there was some years ago but with the growth of bio fuels, not sure what the reason would be.
Mazda already has their Skyactiv X on their road cars so it's not completely gone, its just that a lot of car companies doesn't give a damn about ICE at all recently.

I was talking about F1, which is what the thread is about rather than road cars.

The original point was making a diesel engine from am F1 engine. I know there was talk about it appearing in F1 but this went nowhere.

The other poster was talking about road cars, Outside the original topic.

OK, but it was not my point, that the Formula 1 might turn to Diesel engines by rules intenionally, but the current design of the gazoline engines is closer to a Diesel engine than to an Otto engine as we know it. The combustion chamber looks like a Diesel engine, the valves are almost parallel to the cylinder, the compression ratio is 18:1 peak pressure will be way above 200 bar, the engine runs lean and the combusion process is something in between a Diesel, Gazomine and CAI.

From 2006 until 2011, Diesel-engined cars won the 24 hours race of Le Mans in the LMP1 category. Peugeot won in 2009, Audi won the other five races. After that, hybrid cars ruled.

Yes I know, but nowaday we have Otto engines in Formula 1 which are designed very much like Diesel engines.

In Le Mans, the rules were changed in favour of the hybrid cars.

Merely pointing out that a Diesel racer is possible. In racing, changing rules can be a blessing or a curse.