SAG-AFTRA Seeks to Write AI Protections Into California Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The Apple TV+ series ‘Ted Lasso’ utilized technology to essentially copy and paste dozens of background actors in an attempt to artificially fill soccer stadiums with spectators,” Kalra said, “effectively allowing studios to avoid paying real people while at the same time benefiting from using their digital copy or likeness.”

Simple solution, already available: fill the stadium with AI generated spectators, not digitally cloned extras.

An interesting bit of hypocrisy in the bill... if a dead actor is to be digitally replicated for a movie, a lot of permissions and bureaucratic monkeymotions - and doubtless greasings of many palms - is required. But if the person to be digitally replicated is a historical figure, like Ronald Reagan, no such permissions are required.

I'd just argue that the inclusion of the digital Marylin Monrobot in my new exploitation flick is fair use because she's a historical figure.

Simple solution, already available: fill the stadium with AI generated spectators, not digitally cloned extras.

An interesting bit of hypocrisy in the bill... if a dead actor is to be digitally replicated for a movie, a lot of permissions and bureaucratic monkeymotions - and doubtless greasings of many palms - is required. But if the person to be digitally replicated is a historical figure, like Ronald Reagan, no such permissions are required.

I'd just argue that the inclusion of the digital Marylin Monrobot in my new exploitation flick is fair use because she's a historical figure.

What took so long? Contracts are written for a reason. You may be familiar with "Heirs and assigns"? The heirs get a cut of the money. No grease required. The end.

The heirs get a cut of the money.
Not if the digital clone is of a "historical" figure. Any dead actor is by definition a "historical figure," thus you don't need to pay anybody to use their likeness.

As to whether grease will be needed: if the system is already in place to accommodate this, then there's no need for the law. The purpose of new laws that cover territory that is already adequately covered is to increase bureaucracy and graft.

Would you pair give it a break - this is the umpteenth thread of a similar nature with the same old arguments. It is boring for the rest of us. Go get a room!!

Would you pair give it a break - this is the umpteenth thread of a similar nature with the same old arguments. It is boring for the rest of us. Go get a room!!

But, but, you don't understand. This would have ended long ago if he had accepted just one of my numerous invitations to a bare knuckles cage match.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.