Safir vs. Paektusan-1/Unha-1

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
When comparing the Iranian Safir with the Paektusan-1 (aka Unha-1), it's interesting that Safir used two stages while Paektusan-1 used three stages. However, I'm curious as to why the DPRK opted to use a three-stage configuration for Paektusan-1 while Iran chose to use two stages for Safir. How superior is Paektusan-1 to Safir in terms of performance?

Haven't the DPRK's SLV/ICBM launches all been failures? I wouldn't call it superior to anything unless it actually works right.

ALCON,

Strictly speaking, the Unha-3 SLV (a member of the so-called Taepodong-2 family) did indeed finally succeed in putting a payload into orbit. There are some reports that the satellite orbital insertion wasn't altogether success (reports are/is tumbling in its orbit and thus no much use) but ultimately it is still a largely successful test of the Unha-3 after several failures.

You can't properly compared the Iranian Safir SLV to the Unha-2/3 so strictly simply because they are different classes of SLV. the Safir is much smaller and having just two stages (the 2nd stage being a rather interesting design), thus a simpler design and is likely part of its success. IMHO the fact that Iran has greater financial resources at their disposal is another big factor.