Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
In other words bulletproof vests utilising what is in effect ERA. o_O

1595697828503.png

Might work with armored NBC suits and even infantry exoskeleton systems. But tactical vests?!

I think I might have heard about this in passing years ago. Came across it again today via a cameo in the Danger Zone One webcomic. (Note: Both the linked page and the comic in general are somewhat NSFW.)

Well, i'm curious why it can't be done with other "bulging" material like Rubber ?

Weight to strength issues perhaps? Not only relating to the passive protection side of things but also maintaining basic vest integrity when one or more active protective elements are expended?

In other words bulletproof vests utilising what is in effect ERA. o_O

View attachment 638190

Might work with armored NBC suits and even infantry exoskeleton systems. But tactical vests?!

I think I might have heard about this in passing years ago. Came across it again today via a cameo in the Danger Zone One webcomic. (Note: Both the linked page and the comic in general are somewhat NSFW.)

This is exactly the sort of thing referred to as non-explosive reactive armor. Wired assumes that any "reactive material:" is an explosive, but it's just not so.

Armored vests need materials that are flexible at slow speeds, but stiffen when hit by high-velocity projectiles.
Bullet velocities are easy to predict but shrapnel arrives at a vast array of speeds. Shrapnel can kill as many as 40 percent of infantry before they come within sight of the enemy (Canadian Army experience during 1944 and 1945)

Back
Top Bottom