• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Project SLAM / PLUTO

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
With a high level of probability, it was.

sferrin

Reaction score
flateric said:
With a high level of probability, it was.
I'd heard somewhere (probably here) that the idea of a nuclear powered Tu-123 was toyed with but is there any evidence that it got any further than "hey, wouldn't a nuclear-powered TU-123 be neat-o"?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Nuclear turboramjet versions of Tu-123 Yastreb (DBR-1) in recce and strike versions went a little further then '"hey, wouldn't it be neat" - at least Rigmant says of such modifications were studied...but he don't go further on subject.

Grif

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Thanks, Flateric! Funnily enough, the clustered one bears a remarkable resemblance to a Revell "Atomic Powered Moonship" kit, the "XSL-01", which was used in the TV show "Men Into Space" as a Russian spacecraft - unaware that something very similar was being planned for real!
Grif

sferrin

Reaction score
flateric said:
Nuclear turboramjet versions of Tu-123 Yastreb (DBR-1) in recce and strike versions went a little further then '"hey, wouldn't it be neat" - at least Rigmant says of such modifications were studied...but he don't go further on subject.
Rigmant?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Tupolev's OKB historian.

Molodets

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Michel Van said:
Grif said:
back to SLAM was there ever a Soviet version of SLAM ?
There was a Soviet version of SLAM, but it didn't progress as far. It was called the KAR (Krylataya Atomnaya Raketa). The Soviets did build some fuel elements for the reactor, but halted the project when it became apparent that the size would be enormous (5 meters in diameter if I remember correctly). I have been unable to find any further data on the project, unfortunately.

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Having not really had much interest in missile projects before, only today I learnt about the Pluto/SLAM project and found the whole concept utterly horrific and fascinating at the same time. Digging around for material of course I came here first and also purchased Scott's APR eV2N1 with the Pluto/SLAM article in it. All amazing material! What I'd really like to see however is some larger size pictures of the 1/10 Vought scale model.
http://www.voughtaircraft.com/heritage/photo/html/pslam_0.html
http://www.voughtaircraft.com/heritage/photo/html/pslam_2.html

Would anyone have these at a larger size please? I'm particularly interested in having a closer look at the air intake configuration.

Attachments

sferrin

Reaction score
Skyraider3D said:
Would anyone have these at a larger size please? I'm particularly interested in having a closer look at the air intake configuration.
Join the club. :)

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero

Antonio

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Which was Pluto's main contractor?

sferrin

Reaction score
pometablava said:
Which was Pluto's main contractor?
Vought for the airframe (SLAM - Supersonic Low Altitude Missile).

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Extremely cool find, Mark! B)

NB. For those who didn't bother clicking Mark's link, click it! There's a serious amount of yaw-dropping stuff there. Wow! :eek:

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Orionblamblam said:
Very nice! Will you release this in digital format as well? Personally I have no interest in prints, as my main interest in these sort of drawings is for 3D modelling purposes. I do have your eV2N1.pdf about the Pluto/SLAM, but it appears you've made some small changes plus the additional data is useful.

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Skyraider3D said:
Orionblamblam said:
Very nice! Will you release this in digital format as well?
Possibly maybe someday in GIF format, not in the original vector format. I just got back from the printer with the first production run, incorporating improvements suggested by buyers of the protottype run. They look quite a bit better, even though the tweaks were minor.

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
From the NTRS:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064617_1975064617.pdf (22 mb)

Also in small parts:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064618_1975064618.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064619_1975064619.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064620_1975064620.pdf
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064621_1975064621.pdf
etc. etc. ...
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750064639_1975064639.pdf

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Just wondering... how much did the Soviets know about the Pluto/SLAM? Their Tu-121/Tu-123 reconnaissance drone looked very similar, and nuclear powered versions of it were proposed. It would've been near identical, except for having a delta wing.
http://www.tupolev.ru/English/Picture.asp?PubID=1800
http://nhungdoicanh.blogspot.com/2008/12/tupolev-tu-123-yastreb-hawk.html

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Skyraider3D said:
Just wondering... how much did the Soviets know about the Pluto/SLAM?
Probably a fair amount. it was a reasonably well-publicized project in the Western aviation press at the time.

Their Tu-121/Tu-123 reconnaissance drone looked very similar, and nuclear powered versions of it were proposed.
Meh. You can't really make a nuclear powered version of a conventional vehicle without a *lot* of major changes.

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Fantastic news! ;)

Orionblamblam said:
Meh. You can't really make a nuclear powered version of a conventional vehicle without a *lot* of major changes.
Possibly the reason it was cancelled (that, or the fact Pluto/SLAM was cancelled first)?

Boxman

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Just recently posted by the San Diego Air & Space Museum at YouTube - "The Big Stick," a late 50s (?) Convair company film about a nuclear powered cruise missile.

This appears to be Convair's proposal for the Supersonic Low Altitude Missile (SLAM) nuclear ramjet cruise missile program. I was aware of Vought's proposal, but this is the first I have seen/heard of Convair/General Dynamics'.

As per the film, the name "The Big Stick" for the concept came from the Air Research & Development Command studies that lead to SLAM/PLUTO.

Dimensions - 52 ft. long, 13 ft. wide (at the tail fins), 5 ft. in diameter, and an operational weight of 50,000 lbs. (approx.). To be boosted by a Minuteman first stage (58 sec. burn time/178,000 lbs. of thrust), then powered by a 55-inch diameter Marquardt nuclear ramjet. "High temperature steel" airframe, payload approximately 6,400 lbs., either in the form of a singular warhead, or eight (8) ballistically ejected 350 lbs. nuclear "bomblets", guidance provided by INS (est. 1 to 2 NM CEP) and/or TERCOM (est. 1/4 mile CEP), launched from fixed (bunkers/silos) or mobile bases (land train), high-altitude cruise/low-altitude penetration at Mach 3.5 +.

Last edited:

Michel Van

Reaction score
fantastic find
ca it be, this animation was made by Disney ?
they made allot of this work for Companies

Johnbr

Reaction score
Nuke engine

Found this Project Pluto entailed the design and testing of a nuclear ramjet engine (shown here) for low-flying, supersonic cruise missiles that could stay aloft for hours. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory designed and built two Tory II-A test reactors (adjacent photo) to demonstrate feasibility. A Tory II-C flight-engine prototype was also built. All six tests of the reactors were successful.

Attachments

A

AAAdrone

I absolutely love this piece of kit. It only demonstrates how far the US was willing to go to develop more and more elaborate methods of utterly demolishing the Communist threat back in those days. I mean, how much more insane can one get than by using a direct cycle nuclear ramjet that probably would have triggered a meltdown upon crashing once the payload was delivered? :eek:

Thanks for posting that video Boxman. It was quite informative!

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
I wonder how/where training with this weapon would have occurred? Afterall, no one would want this nuclear powered missile flying overhead nor impacting anywhere near them.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
<shudder>The commentary states initial tests would have been made with chemical fuel. Training with a live reactor sounds *scary*. Nice find.</shudder>

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely promotional desk model of the Pluto missile from Vought Aeronautics.
One of these models was given to every potential Pluto customer.

Attachments

Clipper996

Indeed
Reaction score
Does anyone have the previously referenced PDF files from NTRS?

The links don't seem to work anymore.