OPERATION STORM by John J. Geoghegan

johngeo

Reporting on White Elephant Technologies
Reaction score
Website
thesiloeresearchinstitute.tumblr.com
I'm the author of a recently published non-fiction book, "Operation Storm: Japan's Top Secret Submarines and Its Plan to Change the Course of World War II."

"Operation Storm" tells the true but little known story of the USS Segundo's (SS 398) hunt, pursuit, and capture of Japan's I-401 submarine in the closing days of World War II.

For perspective, the I-401 was essentially a giant, underwater aircraft carrier purpose-built by Japan to launch a surprise aerial attack against New York City and Washington, DC as a follow up to Pearl Harbor. The subs were on their way to complete their mission when the war ended. The I-401 refused to surrender, however, went rogue and had to be tracked down by the Segundo in a confrontation that risked reigniting hostilities only four days before the instrument of surrender was to be signed in Tokyo Bay.

I'm writing because I used Secret Projects as a research resource while writing OPERATION STORM and thought its members might share my interest in this amazing but little known subject.

You can learn more about OPERATION STORM by visiting the book's website at: www.operationstormbook.com

I also welcome and comments or observations you may have about the I-400 subs and their Aichi M6A1 attack planes.

Kind regards, John J. Geoghegan

Attachments

• galley_cover.jpg
    galley_cover.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 183
I first read about your newbook in the most recent
issue of Aviation History. (U.S. publication)

The I-400 history and operations is also very well told
in " I-400 Japans Secret Aircraft carrying Strike Submarine,
Objective Panama Canal " Hikoki Publ.

Success with your publication.

Thank you, Lark.

I spent more than five years researching and writing, "Operation Storm," including interviewing the surviving officers and crew who served aboard the Sen-toku subs. They really impressed me with the humanity of their story.

Hi John,

As a long-time researcher of military technology focusing on World War II and the immediate post-war period, I am getting the impression that the Japanese were less than innovative and capable of fielding advanced hardware, at the time, than say, the Germans. I'd appreciate getting your thoughts on this.

Best,

Ed West

Ed, it's a complicated question that's not easily answered.

Distinguished naval historian, W.J. Holmes, in his landmark study, "Undersea Victory: The Influence of Submarine Operations on the War in the Pacific," said that at the beginning of World War II, the American submarine force was "as nearly equal to Japanese submarine strength as it was possible for coincidence to contrive."

This does not suggest that Japan's Sixth Fleet was inadequate. In fact, Japan's Type 93 and 95 torpedoes were far superior than any other torpedo fielded during the war, an important advantage when conducting underwater warfare.

The Imperial Japanese Navy was an early adopter of submarine technology and continued to invest in research and development right up until the end of World War II. Yes, there were significant shortfalls when it came to mass production techniques. And yes, they designed too many different models of submarines to benefit from their use. Importantly, they failed to adapt and evolve their submarines tactics as war conditions changed. Placing their subs in a subordinate role to the surface fleet didn't help. In other words, Japan failed to leverage the important advantage submarines offered them during World War II.

Nevertheless, the Japanese were hugely invested in sub technology and quite innovative in its use. They were excellent students borrowing liberally from US, Great Britain, and German sub design, but they were also innovative in their own right employing the snorkel, stealth technology, and aircraft-carrying subs far more than the United States. They also developed the fastest subs of the war (the I-200 class) as well as the subs with the longest range (the I-400 class), so its hard to say they were not innovative.

What many historians fail to grant Japanese submarines is how much they accomplished given the horrendous conditions under which the Sixth Fleet operated. There was so little steel available by mid-war that Japanese sub construction suffered significantly. Their late adoption of radar, and the insistent back-seat driving of Sixth Fleet sub command only hindered Japanese sub operations. I can still hear Lt. Commander Nobukiyo Nambu, commanding officer of the I-401, raging at the use of submarines as cargo carriers. He also lamented the lack of autonomy sub skippers were granted in the field as typified by the constant stream of radio messages from Tokyo desk jockeys directing his sub operations.

In summary, I would contend that the Sixth Fleet's poor performance during World War II wasn't so much a case of the Japanese being "less than innovative," or "incapable of fielding advanced hardware" as much as it was a case of them having to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles--mostly us, but often themselves.

Many will call me an apologist for such a viewpoint, but my studies suggest that the Japanese submarine force has been short changed. They certainly could not keep pace with American sub technology, but then again, they were so baldly losing the war its amazing they accomplished anything at all and they most certainly did.

Faint praise? Perhaps. But I have admiration for many of the officers and crew I interviewed who served aboard the I-400 subs. They did their best under harrowing circumstances. The fact they survived at all is an accomplishment in itself.

John,

Thank you for your quick reply. Are you familiar with book Yanagi - The Secret Underwater Trade Between Germany and Japan 1942-1945 by Mark Felton? What I'm driving at is all other military technologies the Japanese developed during the war. In one book, the Japanese are simply dismissed as not smart enough or incapable. I would like to get your and anyone's feedback about that. It seems to me that much like the Germans, a portion of their manufacturing went underground late in the war. As a side note, the Japanese used bamboo for building things in ocean waters to this day, because bamboo scaffolding is more resistant to the corrosive effects of seawater than steel. Though there are many books about advanced German technology used during the war, I've seen only a few references to Japanese accomplishments in a positive light. Forgive me for going off topic, but I thought this is a good opportunity.

Best,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom