OpenAI descends into chaos as nearly 500 staff threaten to leave unless board resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some of the commentary and I don't feel enlightened. Storm in a teacup?

The board decided to remove the CEO Sam Altman,, but Altman was very well liked by the OpenAI staff. Microsoft immediately offered Altman a job heading up their own AI division, and 500 of the 700 OpenAI employees threatened in a letter to walk and join him at Microsoft, even including one of the board members who voted to remove him.

The company was effectively finished at that point, you can't lose 70% of your workers to a competitor and come back from that. There was no way forward other than bringing back Altman as CEO and sacking some of the board who voted him out.

Don't take a swing at the big dog and miss.

The company was effectively finished at that point, you can't lose 70% of your workers to a competitor and come back from that.

Depends on who those workers were. Some companies like pre-Musk Twitter and Facebook and the like are loaded to the gills with useless staff. The kind who spend their days video documenting the snacks they eat and the breaks they take. In those cases, losing 7% of your staff can often make your business better... and if they go work for the competitor, so much the better.

On the other hand, if you've actually hired for *merit,* yeah, losing a majority of your staff ain't good.

Don't take a swing at the big dog and miss.
Game of thrones, baby.

In my experience, the best employees, most valuable to the company, can be found amongst those who are ready to jump ship when management messes up.
Sometimes. Depends very much on the company. When the company is staffed with people it needs, and little more, then, yeah, the most valuable ones tend to know their worth. But if you're like pre-Musk Twitter, the most valuable ones were the ones who were willing to stay when things got a little rougher. Of course, in that case it wasn't really case of management messing up, but management actually demanding productivity.

... while thousands were laid off, not jumping ship.
A great many *did* willingly bail. Musk came on board and the word came down "get ready to put in actual hours," and the cubicles emptied.

After Elon Musk's ultimatum, Twitter employees start exiting​

This sort of thing is not unique, though it got a fairly unique amount of press. There are a *lot* of jobs that serve no purpose except to give someone a paycheck. And there are a lot of people happy to do nothing for money.

And of course there are jobs that truly suck and management that's just awful. The world is full of terrible things.

Is this about OpenAI, or is this about Musk - again?

Sometimes I really would prefer to not live in interesting times

So, they are building the Terminator right now.

No surprise there. Pandora's Box and all that.

Solution to the above: Don't activate them.

There is strange Rumor in this case.
In internet are stories that Open AI made some kind of break true in AI technology,
Prior Sam Altman being sacked by the Board.
and MS want that tech...

I'm curious if this rumor are true ? and if yes, what they have there ?

It's also the Dippity-do of the 21st Century.

* A hair setting gel introduced in 1965.

Last edited:
Model T instead of horses.

Cartridge arms instead of pouring some powder down the barrel and a musket ball. Then tamping it down with a rod... as the enemy charges forward.

And AI replaces... uh... replaces... Nothing to see here. Move along.

There is strange Rumor in this case.
In internet are stories that Open AI made some kind of break true in AI technology,
Prior Sam Altman being sacked by the Board.
and MS want that tech...

I'm curious if this rumor are true ? and if yes, what they have there ?
The operative term here is "strange rumor"...

A breakthrough that let them do junior school maths? Must be some massive breakthrough given that a calculator doesn't struggle with that...

Do we really need an AI calculator to reason if 10+12=22?
The fact it can't find a certain solution means that 99% of the time its just bullshitting, copy pasting answers it thinks is right. I would have thought the one thing that computers would be good at would be giving certain answers where there is only one outcome. Obviously not.

The fact it can't find a certain solution means that 99% of the time its just bullshitting, copy pasting answers it thinks is right. I would have thought the one thing that computers would be good at would be giving certain answers where there is only one outcome. Obviously not.
Its the ability to abstractly understand that 10+12=22 equals 22 thats the breakthrough... rather than running the calculator sub routine...

Zeb

If AI replaces nothing, then writers and actors have nothing to fear and no need to add anti-AI clauses to their contracts.

Don't think people are very smart, do you? CGI or computer generated images. NOTHING NEW. Now, more advanced computer generated images. Big deal. Hollywood is all about getting rid of people and paying the Lowest Possible Amount. You apparently have no concept of creating celebrities. Real < ACTUAL < human beings that have achieved admiration for their work. I'm never going to watch some cheap, stupid copy of a real person. Don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom