Notional Flying Cars

Looks a bit like from a post war comic to me .... ;)

After some diligent research, the designer of the vehicle was Reg Hill. It is speculated that Hill took inspiration for his flying car from the Ford FX-Atmos concept car of 1954. The Supercar appeared to the public sometime in January 1961. Hill's work was financed by Gerry Anderson and only two of the Supercars were built in mock-up form. Both prototypes of the Supercar were built of wood and used Perspex for the canopies. When operating as a car, the Supercar was much like a hovercraft. It was also to have VTOL capability to allow it to transition from ground to flight. In the air, it used two jet engines for propulsion. Braking was to be provided by retrorockets. It was also to have what Hill and Anderson termed "Clear-Vu", a device which allowed the driver to see through smoke and fog.

Neither prototype were realized into an actual working model as the first prototype was only five feet long and the second prototype a mere nine inches long. Nevertheless, the Supercar saw great success as the star of the television series "Supercar" in which the hero Mike Mercury (voice cast by Graydon Gould) operated the Supercar in thrilling action adventures.

;D

Jemiba said:
Looks a bit like from a post war comic to me .... ;)

Attachments

• 5498342933_4c80025c34_b.jpg
    5498342933_4c80025c34_b.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for clarification ! Flying cars were (and are) ingredient of many movies and comics, so I used that
post to start a thread here, suitable for other such types quite far from realisation. "Minority report" with
Tom Cruise comes to my mind again ... ;)