New Book "Planes of the Ilyushin Design-Buro (Vol. 1)" by Konstantin Udalov and Talgat Ashimov

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
New Book "Planes of the Ilyushin Design-Buro (Vol. 1)" by Konstantin Udalov and Talgat Ashimov
[УДАЛОВ, КОНСТАНТИН Г., Ашимов Т. М.: Самолеты ОКБ им. С. В. Ильюшина.; Авико Пресс, Moscow 2023, УДК. 629. 735. 33 (47+57); 164 pp.]

Well known russian aviation historian and author Konstantin Udalov teams up with Talgat Ashimov to this amazng book about the the famous IL-12 and its predecessors, which includes the ZKB-6, ZKB-26 and the IL-12 with some truly unkown before projects. In their preface the authors mentioned, that none of the published books mentiones the first passenger aircraft projects – TsKB-6, TsKB-26 (a passenger version of the DB-3 bomber), and the IL-12 projects in passing. After a long targeted search, the authors managed to find documents and drawings of the mentioned projects and present them in this work.

During the First Five Year Plan (1928-1932) oft he Soviet Union, civil aviation became a necessary and important link in the integrated transport system, which included water, rail and road transport. So the idea tot he TsKB- 6 plane was born. As in each chapter, the authors compare the respective aircraft design with its international trends and counterparts.

THe following chapter is about the passenger airplane TsKB-26P. It also dates back into the early 1930s. Many previously unknown facts and original drawings can be found in this chapter. But the design was considered not to be optimal and had some shortcomings, but in the opinion of the authors these were not design errors. The Design Team of the No.3 Design Team, headed by S.V. Ilyushin, being fully occupied with the work on the DB3 bomber, considered it possible to formally meet the requirement of the Air Forces Scientific Research Institute to develop new aircraft simultaneously in two versions, for the Air Forces and the Army.

The following chapters continues with the first serial varaint of the IL-12 passenger plane. It had militry roots and was influenced by the american DC-3 (for this see also my review of Udalovs book on the Li-2, the soviet DC-3, which gave a boost to the whole soviet aviation industry).

Next capter is about the series IL-12 and its variants (IL-12-32; IL-12-27; IL-12-18; IL-12B and others). A truly remarkable "sidestory" is the encounter of an Il-12 and a amreican F-86 over Korea. On a hot summer morning on 27 July 1953, six crew members and 15 passengers boarded the IL12 at Port Arthur Airport. Officers and soldiers of the Soviet Air Force were going on holiday to Vladivostok. But the IL-12 was downed by Air Force Kap. Ralf Parr (pp. 52-54).

The following chapters are dedicated to IL-12s with different engines (e.g. the ASh-31 motor).

Then there wa the IL-12 high-altitude version, which was inspired by the Douglas DC-5. And of course the military versions: transporters and bomber-variant. Especially interesting are the towing-trials of the big military transport-glider Yak-14 and other heavy-weights like the Ts-25.

Then it's on to the aircraft's use around the world, including record-breaking flights, including Antarctica. Finally, the use on the various airlines worldwide is described and illustrated with many photos and colour profiles.

The history is rounded up by brillant artwork (by Gatial and Arkhipov), detailed technical descriptions and informations about the involved people behind this plane, tons of fotografs and other great stuff.Thumbs up for this amazing book and piece of aviation-history. A truly remarkable book and an important piece of aviation-history literature. High recommendations! I can´t wait fort he second Ilyushin-volume. If you are interested in further reading by purchasing the book please dm Konstantin Udalov (ucon) on the forum.

Attachments

• __-12 _______ 2.jpg
    __-12 _______ 2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IL-12_01.jpg
    IL-12_01.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IL-12_02.jpg
    IL-12_02.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IL-12_03_bomber.jpg
    IL-12_03_bomber.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 64
Hello all,

I had the opportunity to look into Konstantin Udalov and Talgat Ashimov’s new book "Planes of the Ilyushin Design-Buro (Vol. 1)"

In this very detailed book with 164 pages Konstantin describes everything about the Il-12 and its predecessors.
He descripes the development and technology of the Il-12 and the predecessors.
In this book the very interesting drawings in high Quality are made from Josef Gatial and Arkhipov.

For me the book was very interesting because there are so many unknown variants and modifications of the different aicraft.

Konstantin has once again pulled out everything he found about this issue in his archive. The most important aspect in my opinion is that again a lot of original documents and drawings were used for this book.

I can only recommend the book to aviation enthusiasts and especially for them who is interested in projects, as it gives a very good insight into the technology of all the different variants.
And we all can look forward to the second volume from Konstantin.

I will wish all a intersting reading!

Last edited:
I can read Russian but only when the Cyrillic is changed to Latin characters. My suggestion would be to release an English language edition.

I can read Russian but only when the Cyrillic is changed to Latin characters. My suggestion would be to release an English language edition.
I wish that ALL of Udalov's books were available in an English editions, or at least with English captions for all the photos and drawings. I'd buy a bunch of them right away!

I wish that ALL of Udalov's books were available in an English editions, or at least with English captions for all the photos and drawings. I'd buy a bunch of them right away!
I'll second that wish!

I use the Google Translate app on my iPhone to read foreign language text off my tablet. I then read the translated text on my phone or save it to a text file and assemble the complete text there. This video gives you a basic tutorial on how to do this and more detail if you go back to the beginning of the video.

View: https://youtu.be/W0JQqkKjHZw?t=214

Back
Top Bottom