Substitute techbro with MBS.
Alex Blechman @AlexBlechman Sci-Fi Author: In my book I invented the Torment Nexus as a cautionary tale Tech Company: At long last, we have created the Torment Nexus from classic sci-fi novel Don't Create The Torment Nexus 5:49 PM Nov 8, 2021. Twitter Web App

I guess we can see New Scientists' brand name comics author's creative powers in action - he stole a 2 year old Twitter meme and rewrote it with more words to be less funny.

But considering the Neom project - I think we are being subjected to a clever hype cycle. Remember there's no such thing as bad press, and from what I've seen, publication after publication reiterates the same points of why this is a daft idea. My take is that it will be built - only at like 10% of the original length( even that might be a stretch), which would still be incredibly ambitious and impressive, and rich elites can still go there to gawk at the incredible scale of skyscrapers that seemingly go on forever.

And anyway, I don't necessarily think the idea is that dumb - consider that the outsider weather around there is simple unbearable - it is the desert after all - every day fluctuates between 30ish C to mid-40s and sometimes even hotter. Creating a large closed indoor space might be practical in those circumstances, and might even more energy efficient than the alternative of separate buildings.

Back
Top Bottom