NASA considering commercial Mars data relay satellites

Initially this would be in relation to the proposed Mars Ice Mapper mission.

An interesting idea Flyaway, I wonder how long it would take for a picture from either Curiosity or Perseverance to be downloaded to Mission Control on Earth from Mars using the data link relay satellites. Would it be comparable to the fastest broadband internet connections on Earth?

An interesting idea Flyaway, I wonder how long it would take for a picture from either Curiosity or Perseverance to be downloaded to Mission Control on Earth from Mars using the data link relay satellites. Would it be comparable to the fastest broadband internet connections on Earth?
I suspect you already know that they have been looking into laser communications at interplanetary distances. I am sure there has already been tests using cubesats.

I suspect you already know that they have been looking into laser communications at interplanetary distances. I am sure there has already been tests using cubesats.

Thanks Flyaway.

Thanks Flyaway.

Amazing that we might get FB and Tik Tok* on Mars before any humans settle there! [/irony]

*And SPF! A pint of hydrolyzed water on me for the first of us there browsing those pages

Last edited:
Amazing that we might get FB and Tik Tok* on Mars before any humans settle there! [/irony]

*And SPF! A pint of hydrolyzed water on me to the first of us there browsing those pages

I don't think that it will be that sort of Internet TomcatVIP (at least not yet). Instead to begin with it will be a highly controlled Intranet with only enough download speed to download data from the rovers and orbiters.