and possessing LO features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XV-11_Marvel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZ-1_Marvelette

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Greenwood_AG-14

http://www.ae.msstate.edu/rfrl/pages/marvel.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski/other_aircraft/AG14/Marvelette.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/janowski/other_aircraft/AG14/flying.html

And last, but definitely NOT least, an article in Air Enthusiast Forty-One,
pp.49-53, written by our own Jos Heyman. Enjoy.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• marvel1.jpg
    marvel1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 375
  • marvel30.jpg
    marvel30.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 92
  • marvel10.jpg
    marvel10.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 71
  • marvel9.jpg
    marvel9.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 68
  • marvel8.jpg
    marvel8.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 315
  • marvel7.jpg
    marvel7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 319
  • marvel4.jpg
    marvel4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 312
  • marvel2.jpg
    marvel2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 333
The rest of the images...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• marvel II.gif
    marvel II.gif
    118.1 KB · Views: 89
  • AndersonGreenwood_AG-14.jpg
    AndersonGreenwood_AG-14.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 90
I've always loved the Marvel! Thanks Robunos!

Yes, this aircraft was not covered on this forum, but then again I could easily find two dozen other research aircraft of the same era that do not appear on this forum, either. The thing is, this is supposed to be a forum about projects. Many rare prototypes deserve a page of their own, but once they were built and flown, they are no longer projects! Unless you choose to give that word the broader meaning of "program(me)s"...

Stargazer,
While you are correct in that this forum is primarily
concerned with unbuilt projects, we do discuss
bulit aircraft here, as well. The various PAK-FA, F-22,
F-35 JSF, and X-47B UCAS-D threads spring readily to
mind for example. Indeed forum rules, see here :-

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7428.msg64483.html#msg64483

state "Prototypes that didn't enter series production may
also be appropriate at the descretion of the moderators."

Add to that that the Marvel demonstrated a lot of unusual
technologies, and that both it and the Marvelette had
unusual designations, indeed the Marvelette's designation
provided Jos Heyman with the inspiration to write his
article, and I think it's okay to post about it here.
And as I posted above,
"...as a proof-of-concept aircraft for a desert
utility aircraft able to take off from soft sand,
and possessing LO features."
What was this aircraft project, what was the
requirement, for what mission, and what customer?

cheers,
Robin.

From "The Aeroplane", January 1960:

The design features of the Marvel are mentioned in the caption of the model photo.
And AFAIK, at least the Marvelette remained a project. ;)

Attachments

• Marvelette_01.jpg
    Marvelette_01.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Marvel_01.jpg
    Marvel_01.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 79
Jemiba said:
And AFAIK, at least the Marvelette remained a project. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh, definitely not! The MA-18B Marvelette did indeed serve as a test-bed for the Marvel and was converted from the second Anderson-Greenwood AG-14 prototype. It was evaluated by the US Army as the XAZ-1.

4824L.jpg

Wow, 'my' Marvellette has raised its head again. :)
If anybody has a electronic copy of my article in Air Enthusiast, please include it here. I am currently away from home for a while and cannot access my hardcopy.
By the way, the article also introduces the AZ designation to the brief US Army designation system. The AZ designation was not published until that time.

For the record, the Army used a specific two-letter designation system from 1955 to 1963. It was fairly simple and worked as follows:

FIRST LETTER (type): A = Fixed-wing aircraft, H = Rotorcraft, V = VTOL
SECOND LETTER (mission): C = Transport, O = Observation, U = Utility, Z = Research

The Marvelette was quite logically a prototype version of the first research aircraft, hence XAZ-1.

Other aircraft types in this system: AC-1 and AC-2 (Caribou and Buffalo), AO-1 (Mohawk), HO-1 to HO-6, HZ-1 (De Lackner DH-4), VZ-1 to VZ-12.

If anybody has a electronic copy of my article in Air Enthusiast, please include it here.

I can do it, no problem, but it *is* against forum rules
to post complete articles.
Is it okay in this case as we do have the author's
permission?

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
If anybody has a electronic copy of my article in Air Enthusiast, please include it here.

I can do it, no problem, but it *is* against forum rules
to post complete articles.
Is it okay in this case as we do have the author's
permission?

I hate to be a nudge, but Air Enthusiast probably holds the copyright, so the author's permission is probably insufficient.

That said, if the article is older, AE probably won't care. If you're not denying them potential revenue, then the issue becomes a larger one of how zealous they are in protecting their copyright.

Not even to mention the fact that Air Enthusiast no longer exists!!! ;D

Stargazer2006 said:

I didn't realize that. But it doesn't always matter. A parent publication may still hold the copyright.

I say post it. If it is a few years old nobody is going to care.

blackstar said:
Stargazer2006 said:

I didn't realize that. But it doesn't always matter. A parent publication may still hold the copyright.

I say post it. If it is a few years old nobody is going to care.

Yep. And if they do, there is still time to remove it. They are not going to sue over it straightaway I think!

Hi guys

Somewhere in my files at home (to which I have no access for another two months), I have the original draftof the article. If it is OK, from a copyright perspective, I can scan that in due course and upload it here.

Jos H

first two pages...

Attachments

• MMA1.jpg
    MMA1.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 98
  • MMA2.jpg
    MMA2.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 90
...and the rest of them.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• MMA5.jpg
    MMA5.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 250
  • MMA4.jpg
    MMA4.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 279
  • MMA3.jpg
    MMA3.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 349
Greetings All -

The XV-11A is on display at the Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham, Alabama. Here's a few photos of it that I took about 5 years ago.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xMG_0029.jpg
    xMG_0029.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 242
  • xMG_0014.jpg
    xMG_0014.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 232
  • xMG_0011.jpg
    xMG_0011.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 66
  • xMG_0012.jpg
    xMG_0012.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 57
  • xMG_0015.jpg
    xMG_0015.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 61
  • xMG_0019.jpg
    xMG_0019.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 66
  • xMG_0020.jpg
    xMG_0020.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 76
XLNT!
Is is still flyable, does anybody know...

cheers,
Robin.

I kind of doubt it as there is a support block under the fan shroud - I'd bet the engine was out of it. It is otherwise in pristine condition - was a pleasant surprise to walk in and see it.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Oh, yes, I see it now...
Thanks for that.
Drifting OT, what is the small biplane
amphibian in the background of the
first picture?

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:
first picture?

cheers,
Robin.

I was going to say a Petrel, but the fin is different. Googling the reg brings up something called a 'seabird'.... isnt a Petrel a sea bird?
http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft.asp?tn=N667RR

Kokoro said:
robunos said:
first picture?

cheers,
Robin.

I was going to say a Petrel, but the fin is different. Googling the reg brings up something called a 'seabird'.... isnt a Petrel a sea bird?
http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft.asp?tn=N667RR

Or a Aero Gare Sea Hawk, designed by Gerry LeGare in the 80s.
http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Aero%20Gare%20Sea%20Hawk.asp#TopOfPage

Attachments

• AeroGare Sea Hawk.jpg
    AeroGare Sea Hawk.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 84
As I recall, that is a Glass Goose:

http://www.glassgoose.com/

HTH! Mark

STOL RESEARCH AT MISSISSIPPI UNIVERSITY

CULMINATING more than 12 years of research into boundary layer control by the Aerophysics Department of the Mississippi State University, the XV-11A Marvel has been under test since early 1966 and combines three separate aids to STOL performance­ suction type boundary layer control (BLC), thrust augmentation by ducted propeller and geometric BLC. All three systems had previously been tested on other research aircraft used in the programme. The XV-11A, which as the Army designation indicates is partially financed by Government funds, has a theoretical speed range of 7.25:1 and a maximum lift coefficient of 4.5. It was built for the University by Parsons Corporation of Traverse City, Michigan, and has several features in common with the earlier XAZ-1 Marvelette (described below), including the wing: this has a distributed suction BLC system plus geometric BLC and includes a camber-changing mechanism which varies the angle of the entire trailing edge in place of normal flaps. Longitudinal members in the wings are joined to the top and bottom aerofoil surfaces with piano hinges to allow movement of the structural members relative to the skin. Construction of the wing, like the remainder of the structure of the XV-11A, is of glass-fibre, providing a smooth. wave-free finish. Propulsion comes from a 250 hp Allison T63 turbo shaft engine driving the pusher propeller through a 3: I reduction gear­box, providing a maximum of 2,075 rpm on the propeller shaft. There is no air intake, in the normal sense, to the engine: its air supply is by way of more than one million tiny holes drilled in the surface of the wings and part of the fuselage for the suction BLC system, and there is no auxiliary equipment between the engine compressor intake and these holes. The steel propeller shaft is supported by five bearings and enclosed in a glass-fibre housing through which oil is pumped. A shroud round the propeller is used to augment its thrust, the object being to accelerate the aircraft to maximum flying speed in the shortest possible time. Design static thrust of the shrouded propeller is 1,300 Ib (590 kg) giving the XV-IIA a theoretical take-off run of 122 ft. (37,18 m) at a lift coefficient of 4.5. As first tested the XV-Il A has a "pantobase" landing gear intended to permit operation from very soft ground into which wheels alone would sink. The pantobase fairings would also support the aircraft on water at speeds down to 15 mph (24 km/h) but the drag penalty for this installation is high and a retractable undercarriage is being studied for possible future use. The Marvel has a maximum design level speed of 205 mph (330 km/h) and climbs at 1,760 ft./min (9 m/sec) at 68 mph (109 km/h). Empty and gross weights are 1,600 Ib (725 kg) and 2,400,lb (I 090 kg) respectively. The span is 26 ft. 2 in (7,96 m), overall length, 23 ft. 5 in (7,14 m), height, 8 ft. 9 in (2.67 m), wing area, 106 sq. ft. (9,85 m') and aspect ratio 6.5.ller is J,300 Ib (590 kg) giving the XV-11A a theoretical take-off run of 122 ft. (37,18 m) at a lift coefficient of 4.5. As first tested the XV-Il A has a "pantobase" landing gear intended to permit operation from very soft ground into which wheels alone would sink. The pantobase fairings would also support the aircraft on water at speeds down to 15 mph (24 km/h) but the drag penalty for this installation is high and a retractable undercarriage is being studied for possible future use. The Marvel has a maximum design level speed of 205 mph (330 km/h) and climbs at 1,760 ft. /min (9 m/sec) at 68 mph (109 km/h). Empty and gross weights are 1,600 Ib (725 kg) and 2,400,lb. (I 090 kg) respectively. The span is 26 ft. 2 in (7,96 m), overall length, 23 ft. 5 in (7,14 m), height, 8 ft. 9 in (2.67 m), wing area, 106 sq. ft. (9,85 m') and aspect ratio 6.5.
EARLIER RESEARCH
Work began in the Aerophysics Department of the Mississippi State University in 1953 to develop a suction boundary layer control system for fixed wing aircraft which would improve the lift coefficient of the wing: the use of thrust augmentation and geometric boundary layer control to increase the potential speed range of the aircraft were later additions to the programme. Tests indicated that mechanical devices such as flaps, slots, etc. could attain maximum lift coefficients of only about 3.0, whereas high-lift BLC systems demonstrated much higher values. A so-called distributed suction system employing use of suction through perforations distributed in the upper surface of the aerofoil was applied to a TG-3 sailplane. Holes of .020-.030 inch diameter, were drilled ten per inch (approximately 600,000 holes total) and suction obtained via two axial flow pumps installed at the wing roots. The max lift coefficient of the TG-3's unflapped wing was thus increased from 1.4 to 2.1.
The next hardware test was with a modified Piper L-21 with a similar BLC system. but in this case the suction air was passed along the inside of the wing, through a double windshield and was used to cool the engine so that additional cooling air was not required and the intakes could he sealed. The pumps were mechanically linked to the engine with the result that full BLC was available for take-off at high rpm but not for landing with the engine throttled back. This made the craft unsuitable for STOL performance hut demonstrated that lift coefficients of 4.2 could be obtained with the expenditure of about 10 hp from the engine. This L-21 was fitted with a tricycle undercarriage incorporating a spring type main gear and weighed 1.350 lb (612 kg). With the BLC system it obtained a 42 per cent reduction in take-off distance over a 50 ft. (15,2 m) obstacle, could fly at a true airspeed of 35 mph (56 km/h) under complete control. and accomplished a new stall speed of 28 mph (45 km/h). Powerplant was a 125 hp Lycoming, less 8-10 hp with "BLC in operation. A modified Cessna L-19 Bird Dog was the third aircraft used III the MSU research programme. A BLC system similar to those of the TG-3 and L-21 was again installed, but with modifications suggested by the previous research. Two hydraulically driven axial flow pumps were fitted. one under each wing and powered by a hydraulic pump at the main engine. Each pump had a 9 in 1228.(, mm) diameter fan and the wing had some 700.000 holes drilled into it. In this case. the BLC could also be varied in­dependently of the engine speed.. thereby making the system suitable for both take-of'- and landing. Tail area was also increased and vertical plates added for improved directional control at low forward speeds. The flaps were modified to eliminate the slot and the sharp geometric discontinuity associated with them. The leading edge radius of the wing was also increased from 1.25 in (J 1,7 mm) to 1.8 in (45,7 mm) to reduce centrifugal forces and maintain attached boundary flow. The modified L-19 had a minimum flying speed of 31 mph (50 km/h) at 2,300 lb (1043 kg) gross weight. But still retained the cruise speed of the conventional configuration. It has a resulting lift coefficient of 5.1 with the expenditure of 12 hp from the main 213 hp Continental engine. The next programme was concerned with thrust augmentation. Open propellers lacked efficiency at low forward speeds. whereas a shroud provided a considerable increase in the thrust of the propeller, and thus helped acceleration and take-off performance. One of the few Anderson-Greenwood AG-14 twin-boom pusher aircraft was used to demonstrate the effectiveness of the shrouded propeller principle. The propeller was modified to account for the change in inflow velocities TO the propeller but the results indicated that with the same 90 hp Continental and the same thrust loading on a propeller, the static thrust was increased from 275 lb. (125 kg) to 540 Ib (245 kg) due to the action of the shroud. A glass-fibre wing with variable camber instead of flaps was likewise fitted to the AG-14. High cruise speed through geometric boundary layer control was demonstrated through research on a Navion L-17B and a Beech L-23. With the four-seat L.-17B, range was increased from 590 miles (950 km) to I.OID miles (I 625 km) with average fuel consumption increased only to 17 mpg. Max cruise speed was also increased from 120 kts (222 km/h) to 132 kts (244 km/h). All this was accomplished by removing all external radio antennae and placing them in glass-fibre low-drag Hoerner wing tips. The wings were covered with a celastic material to cover the rivet heads and smooth the leading edge back to the 60 per cent chord position. Cabin windows were made flush. door handles removed and glass-fibre wing root fillets added. The engine cowling was modified so that the engine was cooled with a mini­mum pressure drop. The L-23 was similarly modified but landing gear doors were added and jet-ejection exhaust installed. The result of these modifications was that the power required to fly at 180 mph (290 km/h) was reduced from 410 to 310 hp, and the safe single-engine airspeed was reduced to below the stall speed of the conventional configuration. The next stage of the development programme was to see if the three types of system-the low drag, the thrust augmentation, and the high lift BLC systems could be incorporated in a single aeroplane-and thus the XAZ-I Marvelette was born. It had the variable camber wing of glass-fibre construction, incorporating perforated surface and suction pumps; the large shrouded propeller at the tail with the elevator and rudder controls in­corporated in the shroud to further decrease drag; and a glass fibre tricycle landing gear. Large fillets were added at the shroud fuselage intersections, at the wing root positions and at the junction of the landing gear and the fuselage to ensure wave-free, smooth surfaces for low drag. The Marvelette. which first flew in March 1962, was not intended as a true STOL aeroplane as it was only powered by a 90 hp Continental with 10 hp being taken up by the BLC system; therefore a low rate of climb considerably hindered the flight test programme on the over-weight aircraft. Original design max speed was 200 mph 1322 kill/h) but only about 125 mph (201 km/h) was actually achieved. Max cruise was 115 mph (185 km/h) and landing about 35 mph (56 km/h). -HOWARD LEVY
Source: Flying Review International, Volume 22, Number 6, February 1967

Attachments

• XAV-1_Marvelette_Flying_Review_page_351_Feb_1967.jpg
    XAV-1_Marvelette_Flying_Review_page_351_Feb_1967.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 82
  • XV-11A_picture_1_Flying_Review_page_351_Feb_1967.jpg
    XV-11A_picture_1_Flying_Review_page_351_Feb_1967.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 85
  • XV-11A_picture_2_Flying_Review_page_352_Feb_1967.jpg
    XV-11A_picture_2_Flying_Review_page_352_Feb_1967.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 91
  • XV-11A_picture_3_Flying_Review_page_352_Feb_1967.jpg
    XV-11A_picture_3_Flying_Review_page_352_Feb_1967.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 93
a little more...a 3 views

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 119
What a little Marvel ! Not often that you see such a *cute* aircraft...

Um, reminds me of the ill-fated UK Optica, which could fly so slow that you had to watch the speed-over-ground during turns lest you stall the inner wing and spin in...

Hi,

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19591130/30/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    648 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.png
    2.png
    304.5 KB · Views: 103
Hi,

for AZ-1 aka MA-18B Marvelette,was there older series,MA-1 to MA-17 ?.

Back
Top Bottom