Mirage F1EQ- 5/6/7 (and beyond)

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Mirage F.1EQ-5 was the first to use AM-39 Exocet, and it used a modified Cyrano-IVM, it only carried one missile per aircraft, Mirage F.1EQ-6 was the last version of F.1 delivered to Iraq (in late 1989 and early 1990), it didn't take part in 1PGW and it used a more advanced derivative of the same Cyrano-IVM allowing to carry up to 2 Exocet. It also changed the Thomson-CSF "BF" RWR by the much improved (thanks to Iraq's advice based on SPO-15 performance on modern soviet aircraft) "Sherloc"...Iraq's custom Cyrano-IV modification program was called "Ramadan", and the last derivation of the Cyrano-IVM was the basis of the more advanced (RDM and RDI technology based) Cyrano-IVM3 of the Venezuelan Air Force's Mirage-50EV.

Ahmad Rushdi could told us one houndred stories about the F.1EQ on Iraq's service, hey Ahmad where are you? ;D

Archibald said:
Thread to discuss the last F1s delivered to Iraq (between 1985 and...1990 or so).
Were the EQ- anf EQ-6 fitted with the SE radar to fire Exocets ? or was the radar an improved Cyrano-IV with sea mapping modes ?
Was there ever an EQ-8 variant (planned for the early 90's or so).
what was the last contract/ delivery dates planned ?
Is it right that the F1CT of the AdA was quite close of the EQ-4 standard ?
Ok, that's many questions, but infos on the subject in so scarce (even in Le Fana recent article on the subject, I already know it :) )

The last batch of Iraqi Mirage F-1s was never delivered - due to nonpayment, not an embargo. I don't know about the number or the fate or the fate of the airframes in question, but there were various reports that they stores for years, or turned over to Kuwait during the first Gulf War to replace the Mirages that were lost during the invasion.

Details are scarce regarding the Mirage F-1 in Iraqi service - especially when the reports concern Exocet attacks.

Archibald said:
Mirage F.1EQ-5 was the first to use AM-39 Exocet, and it used a modified Cyrano-IVM, it only carried one missile per aircraft, Mirage F.1EQ-6 was the last version of F.1 delivered to Iraq (in late 1989 and early 1990), it didn't take part in 1PGW and it used a more advanced derivative of the same Cyrano-IVM allowing to carry up to 2 Exocet.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just stumbled across this doing some research on the Mirage F.1EQ in Iraq and felt it was wrong to leave this issue unaddressed. It cannot be true that the first F.1EQs capable of firing two Exocets were only delivered to Iraq in 1989, since USS Stark was struck by two Exocets from a single Mirage launch aircraft in 1987. I'm not sure whether this means the F.1EQ-6 was actually delivered earlier or whether F.1EQ-5 (perhaps with local modifications) could carry two missiles.

TinWing said:
The last batch of Iraqi Mirage F-1s was never delivered - due to nonpayment, not an embargo. I don't know about the number or the fate or the fate of the airframes in question, but there were various reports that they stores for years, or turned over to Kuwait during the first Gulf War to replace the Mirages that were lost during the invasion.

The Mirages were owned by the French Armament Association and were stored and put up for sale once it was clear Iraq wasn`t going to pay for them. They were offered to Spain in 1994, for example.

After some years, they were stripped of all valuable items and spares and the remains scrapped.

Archibald said:
Mirage F.1EQ-5 was the first to use AM-39 Exocet, and it used a modified Cyrano-IVM, it only carried one missile per aircraft, Mirage F.1EQ-6 was the last version of F.1 delivered to Iraq (in late 1989 and early 1990), it didn't take part in 1PGW and it used a more advanced derivative of the same Cyrano-IVM allowing to carry up to 2 Exocet. It also changed the Thomson-CSF "BF" RWR by the much improved (thanks to Iraq's advice based on SPO-15 performance on modern soviet aircraft) "Sherloc"...Iraq's custom Cyrano-IV modification program was called "Ramadan", and the last derivation of the Cyrano-IVM was the basis of the more advanced (RDM and RDI technology based) Cyrano-IVM3 of the Venezuelan Air Force's Mirage-50EV.

Sherloc was being worked out before the 1GW started, so I doubt the Iraquis did much more than ordering it for their latest Mirages.

According to "Le Mirage F-1 et les Mirage de seconde generation a voilure en fleche Vol2", The Ramadan version of the Cyrano IVM was a downgraded variant for Muslim countries (don`t ask me why...). The undelivered batch of iraqui F-1s were fitted with a much improved Cyrano IVM which made ample use of digitalization and was based on RDM technology (not surprisingly as RDM itself was based on Cyrano IV!). LD mode was much improved (Doppler filter?), for example

Is there any info about the integration of Soviet IFF in French Mirage F-1EQ in Iraqi service ?

Hi, there are some good articles about the Iraqi Mirages on the Le Fana de l'Aviation French magazine, for example a four part paper on N. 578-581 (Mirages against oil tankers) and three part paper on N.567-569. There is also an interesting article about a Falcon 50 armed with Exocets on N. 607-608.

I just disovered a new Magazine from Le Fana team that seems to compile numerous reports on the same theme in a new edited Special issue. The one I saw was on STOL fighter.
Let's hope that one of their future story would be about Mirages (and Falcon!) in Iraqi services.

Hi, there are some good articles about the Iraqi Mirages on the Le Fana de l'Aviation French magazine, for example a four part paper on N. 578-581 (Mirages against oil tankers) and three part paper on N.567-569. There is also an interesting article about a Falcon 50 armed with Exocets on N. 607-608.
Yes but nothing about the IFF...

Back
Top Bottom